[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The philosophy of Lovecraft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: h_p_lovecraft_quote_2.jpg (72 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
h_p_lovecraft_quote_2.jpg
72 KB, 500x300
In Thomas Ligotti's The Conspiracy Against the Human Race he writes: "Lovecraft is perhaps the most felicitous example of someone who knew ravishments that in another context would be deemed 'spiritual' or 'religious.' Yet from childhood, he was undeterred from a precocious atheistic materialism (or nihilism, pessimism, cosmic indifferentism)."

and

"Whereas Lovecraft was uninterested in the human race except for its scale in proportion to an indifferent universe full of monsters, Blatty has proven himself as someone who is 'involved with humanity' and sensitive to its suffering. To overlook this fact is to miss the point of his work. That he is dependent on religious salvation to justify human suffering cheapens his writing for the unfaithful as much as it should give it value for believers. Perhaps no one since John Milton has made such an attempt to excuse human misery in religious terms."

The opening bit from The Call of Cthulhu:
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Does Lovecraft have any essays or interviews where he explicitly talks about cosmic indifferentism?
It seems a lot like basic nihilism, but I would still be very interested to hear Lovecraft's take on it. Nihilism is always interesting because everyone has a different way of reacting to it. I would be especially interested in Lovecraft's view of God(s) .
Some quotes I have almost gave me the impression that he believes in a God that has abandoned humanity. I think that is an interesting idea if he did mean it literally.

I know there is already a Lovecraft thread, but this is different.
>>
>>7847056
his essay on supernatural fiction?
the sentiment is obvious though if you've read his stories
>>
>>7847112
* he did not believe in a god at all, not even in the abandoned sense...
>>
>>7847112
>>7847152

>essay on supernatural fiction

Thanks, I found it here. I pretty much was able to gather a lot of the information for his stories, but sometimes it is nice to see the authors comments.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/essays/shil.aspx

>he did not believe in a god at all, not even in the abandoned sense...

Oh well. I was hoping for the other, but that definitely did seem the most likely answer.
>>
The real irony of the opening lines of The Call of Cthulhu is that we actually have opened up such terrifying vistas of reality and our position therein, but the majority of the human race is completely ambivalent to the information. If you actually contemplate the immensity and age of the universe and humanities place in it you may just get the awful creeping feeling Lovecraft eluded too but humanities ability to occupy itself with frivolities seems an even greater power.
>>
>>7847723
>Small creatures concern themselves with small issues.
Hold the fucking presses.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.