[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be debating >someone uses a situation that would likely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: images (1).jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>be debating
>someone uses a situation that would likely never happen in reality as solidification to there ideals
>start combating in hypothetical situations

If someone proves a point using a scenario that would never happen, would they still be right?
>>
>>7845196
>to there

also /lit/ - literature
>>
>>7845196
>what is grammar
>what is a basic understanding of logic
>what is an on topic post
>what is making any sense at all
>>
No

The judge will realize that a hyperbolic hypothetical situation is a last ditch attempt to prove the validity of a point.

The opposition should be able to simply point out that the imagined situation is unlikely to ever occur, and therefore any conclusions drawn from it are unsupported.

E.g. The debate is that donuts are better than crackers
>Well, donuts are better than crackers because they are round, so if you made a giant donut you could race nascars around it, and then use it to solve the world's hunger crisis after the race is over.

obviously ridiculous, amirite? the claim that donuts are better than crackers because they are round remains unsupported because the scenario used to prove the claim was totally out to lunch.

as a sidenote, hypothetical situations are pretty low on the scale of strength of argument. source = collegiate debate team
>>
>>7845224
crackers can be round too you fucking idiot
>>
>>7845246
God damn that made me lol.
>>
Well, has Plato's cave ever been empirically tested?
>>
>>7845196
Yes. I don't even understand how this is a question.

I do remember arguing with people and using thorough reasoning and being told that a universal notion couldn't be grasped or moved towards just due to my interlocutors incredulity. Come to think of it most of the time these people would be women.

I don't really like this website but it might be your speed OP: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity
>>
>>7845196
>there ideals
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.