[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Middle Age considered a dark period when so many elements
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
Why is Middle Age considered a dark period when so many elements prove the opposite?
>>
Because it's dark compared to the Renaissance and the Enlightenment.
>>
>>6365630
How? It seems like it is considered dark because it is less known/studied.
>>
>>6365639
It was the term used by scholars of the Renaissance to describe the earlier culture they were seeking to advance up and overcome. The values of the Renaissance have influenced latter thought so the term stuck. No legit historian would use the term "Dark Ages", though, nor would any legit historian claim that pre-Renaissance Europe was an age of total ignorance, and certainly no one would claim this was the case for the Muslim world or China in that period.
>>
>>6365621
>when so many elements prove the opposite?
>religion
>shit art
>witch hunts
>>
>>6365621

Because faggot revisionist historians have been trying to subvert the blatant importance of Catholic thought and advancement in world history, much of it occurring during the Middle Ages.
>>
>>6365659
>religion
>retarded
>>
File: Muh Dark Age.png (2 MB, 1386x4653) Image search: [Google]
Muh Dark Age.png
2 MB, 1386x4653
>>
>>6365659
Witch hunts were a feature of the early modern period.
>>
File: happening.gif (3 MB, 364x205) Image search: [Google]
happening.gif
3 MB, 364x205
>>6365660
THIS
>>
>>6365667
Wtf is this reductionnist shit?
>>
Because it's during the Renaissance that paintings actually started to look real, music became interesting, literature became complex, and philosophy became reasonable
>>
>>6365680
>literature became complex
What about Dante, Boccace or Virgil?

>philosophy became reasonable
But Middle Age theologians studied the Greeks who are pretty reasonable.

>music became interesting
Arguments? For some people, music stopped being interesting at these times.

>paintings actually started to look real
Just because perspective was theorized didn't make pictures look real, and just because a painting looks real doesn't make it a good painting.
>>
The Dark ages did suck. Idiots get mad when other idiots blame the Dark Ages on the church when the church was actually responsible for recivilizing most of Europe after the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, and their response is to deny that this period of time was in any way Dark at all.
>>
>>6365699
>For some people, music stopped being interesting at these times.
For some people in [insert favourite third-world grounds], music stops being interesting once it goes beyond a repetitive two-tracks beat.
>>
>>6365699
>But Middle Age theologians studied the Greeks who are pretty reasonable.

No, theologians picked and choose from the Greeks whatever supported their preconceived conclusions. That's not studying anything, that's cherry picking
>>
>>6365659
Witch hunts were a thing during renesance and early enlightenment.
>>
>>6365621
the middle ages? it was considered the dark period because hereticism was rampant throughout the christian communities and walled societies and therefore god punished man with a near-blindness, an insensitivity, to light, that of god and physic all the same. man literally saw darkness in everything and was unable to even see the grace of god. angels for the most part abandoned man and the state of mankind was in a disastrous downslide. a man named martin luther went about his own form of christianity, even worshipping his own god, something the few remaining christians assailed him for, but this personal god of his became so powerful that martin luther single-handedly restored the light of the world and thereafter brought about a successful reformation of christianity. of course the only records we have of this are to be doubted as much as anything else in regards to christianity, so modern scholars and scientists alike have adopted the alternative view that the various pests accompanying man in these clustered living environs only harboured highly transmissible infectious agents capable of bringing about the previously described blindess. whatever the case, there is a period of strange and bewildering events from roughly 1370-1590 that are undeniably the workings of heretical witch cults of (what would now be) northern france. hope this helps, i can offer some further reading if you find an interest.
>>
>>6365677
It's totally true. Read up on history.
>>
>>6365736
Please, state your source for this
>>
>>6365757

>this is what Christians actually believe
>>
>>6365621
It went against the uniformity of the Renaissance. I am not saying one is better than the other, but if you look at, for example,decorating in the Middle Ages it is a bunch of weird ass, pretty idiosyncratic stuff, entirely impractical in most occasions. The Renaissance changed this, reigned it in a bit and considered itself more "enlightened" as a result.
>>
>>6365677
The book was published in the UK in 2009 by Icon Books Ltd. (ISBN 978-1848310704) and is included in the short list for the Royal Society Prize for Science Books in 2010. The US edition was published in 2011 by Regnery Press under the title The Genesis of Science: How the Christian Middle Ages Launched the Scientific Revolution. In 2011 the book was shortlisted for the Dingle Prize of the British Society for the History of Science.[3]
>>
File: luther the kind.jpg (148 KB, 1023x681) Image search: [Google]
luther the kind.jpg
148 KB, 1023x681
>>6365765
got a problem?
>>
File: 485857.jpg (46 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
485857.jpg
46 KB, 311x475
>>6365772
It's a pleb's abridged version of this far superior work with added overtones of apologism.
>>
>>6365764

My source? What are you talking about? This is simply my opinion. Religious thinkers like Aquinas start from with the claim that his conclusion is true no matter what, and when something cannot be resolved (like for instance how he knows that the unmoved mover is a god, his god and how you check any of his claims), he goes back to revelation and faith, which isn't an argument for anything
>>
Anyone who doubts that the European Middle Ages was an age of stagnation should read the song of Roland and compare it to the Divine comedy or the Aenid.
The Middle Ages are called "dark" because they were dark compared to the Roman period or the Rennaissance.
>>
>>6365777
Ah, so you base your knowledge on your ignorance then. Thank you for your valuable input.
>>
>>6365680
>literature became complex

Dante's Divine Comedy & La Vita Nuova, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, The Tain, Prose & Poetic Edda, Exter Book, Icelandic Sagas (Volsungasaga, Njal's, Laxdaela, etc.), Song of Roland, Nibelungenlied, Chretien de Troyes' Arthurian Romances, Tale of the Campaign of Igor, Beowulf, Sir Gawain...

>philosophy became reasonable

Augustine, Boethius, Anselm, Maimonides, William of Ockham, Aquinas, Duns Scotus...

I am almost certain you haven't read any one of those things and are one of those idiot students who believe shit like Shakespeare and Milton are the best and greatest of all time because muh canon!
>>
>>6365777
>my source? check this, bitch!
>>
Because very little trading of products or knowledge or anything was done; people lived inside small self-sustaining communities.
>>
>>6365781
I hope you're trolling, because the Comedy is a work of the Middle Ages, my friend.
>>
>>6365800
Where?

Vikings traded extensively, so did Byzantines and old greek states. As well as in the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
>>6365795

No, I base it on things I don't think are very consistent in religious arguments. Of course, you, probably being a Catholic drone, don't accept anything that isn't approved by the Pope, like heliocentrism, or stopping pedophiles
>>
>>6365820
Nice meme
>>
>>6365820
I'll do you a favor sport, stop posting now before fedora pictures will destroy the rest of this thread.
>>
>>6365699
>>6365736
>Didn't provide citations to support why Middle Age theologians who studied the Greeks who are pretty reasonable.

>Asks for citations for a post that said otherwise

kek, what is the point of citations in both your posts anyway? They are both literally opinions
>>
>>6365820
No need to resort to petty polemic, Anon.
That being said, I am not a Christian either and my knowledge of their thought is rather limited I'm afraid, but it's always a good idea to read about things you disagree with.
>>
>>6365835
Different guy but how is that any kind of threat?
>>
>>6365680
The Renaissance was a period of stagnation for philosophy, this is well known. They jerked off too much over ancient literature and rhetoric but didn't really have original ideas.
>>
The suppression of the Greek philosophical schools marked the end of the Classical era, and the selective study of theology and philosophy from that era that could be supported by scripture and its readings marked the middle ages.

The middle ages was not a scientific dark age because science had yet to emerge. It needed the correct assumptions about the universe to do so. The middle ages was a philosophical dark age that prevented that.
>>
>>6365888
The assumptions that started western science are thoroughly christian tho
>>
>>6365894
Going from god does this to god set this in motion is a retreat from christian, religious, or a theistic explanation.
>>
>>6365908
I'm not really sure what you're saying but God of the gaps was already totally rekt in the 13th century.

Read the scholastics, dude. You'll see how fucking based these guys were in logic and sound argumentation, and how they set the foundations for all of modern thought.
>>
File: 1428286730640.png (321 KB, 500x414) Image search: [Google]
1428286730640.png
321 KB, 500x414
>>6365773
Saved.
>>
>>6365929
>I'm not really sure what you're saying but God of the gaps was already totally rekt in the 13th century.

Elaborate please
>>
>>6365888
For fucks sake, it was conquering of Alexandra, Antioch, Egypt and Constantinople that marked the end of the classical era.
>>
>>6365747
>>6365674
>>6365664
Don't feed the bait
>>
"The Dark Ages" is a term created by Renaissance Italians referring to the Middle Ages. They called it as such because they believed that nothing good came from the time and so the true Golden Era was the time of the Romans. Of course anybody with half a brain would know this isn't true and anybody with a decent understanding of European history would know that the "Dark Ages" was quite an amazing period for intellectual works, literature and art.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.