[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shakespeare sonnet suggestion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (520 KB, 1590x2164) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
520 KB, 1590x2164
I am in communications class in College, i have a project due thurs. a two minute memorized reading of poetry (no more than two minutes and no less than 1) and the teacher specialices in fine arts or some shit like that, she's really nice and we had a talk about what we could do, becuase i brought up shakespeare she did an entire lecture on iambic pentameter, and no instead of reading eminem i feel obliged to recite some shakespeare any suggestions as to which sonnet i should do,
These are my requirements
2 minutes in length, i have to read it not act it so its just a proper reading, no gay shit (thats my requirement), iambic pentameter, not to clichéd
>>
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date;
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.
>>

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground.
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.
>>
>>7231329
Do this one, OP.
Everybody memorizes this one.
Ur teacher will know it, and like it.
>>
How do you have an entire lecture on iambic pentameter, what is there to say?
>>
>>7231344
Maybe, i like it i just don't know if i can read it and not look like an idiot
>>
>>7231356
Well, it was to the half the class that stayed while we were on break she explained how it worked, how there are sonnets that break it, there are differnt versions, she showed examples she had me practice, gave more information on shakespear, made suggestions to other people and honestly If i hadn't had to go to the washroomwhile she was giving the whole thing it might have been really enlightening, but the only reason i asked was to make small talk before i left to whizz, i still don't know how to read it out loud, any suggestions
>>
>>7231390
Just read it, it's the natural sounds of the syllables
>>
>>7231378
You won't look like an idiot, the poem is hilarious
>>
>>7231390
What sonnets break it? And just that they use other feet?
It's literally xX, there's nothing hard about iambic pentameter, and no leeway compared to dactylic hexameter
Also, pick Petrarca, don't be a fag
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 720x542) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 720x542
>>7231344
Ok, i'm going to do it. It will be very awesome and she will give me a blowjob and any vomit that i make while i recite will be licked up by the betas in the classroom becuase i will be so alpha it will be my ddick hard and pussies and lots of liquids
>>
>>7231536
Petrarca? what does this mean, i undestand it is a set-up but do you mean a specific one? Is it still iambic pentameter? I don't wanna be a fag but you are making this harder than it is for me.
>>
>>7231566
Petrarca as in the poet, but did it have to be shakespeare?
>>
>>7231298
>no gay shit
You should know that Shakespeare's sonnets were addressed to a male figure, and they were dedicated to an unknown (male) patron. They are pretty gay. And pleb, too. Don't do a sonnet by Shakespeare. That's about as low as a poetry power-level can fall, plus the Elizabethan sonnet rhyme scheme is cringe-worthy. Nothing more overly-sentimental than ending your poem with a rhymed couplet. For good sonnets, check out Donne, Milton, Wordsworth, or Shelley.
>>
>>7231682
Only a half to 2/3 are to a dude
>>
Love is too young to know what conscience is;
Yet who knows not, conscience is born of love?
Then, gentle cheater, urge not my amiss,
Lest guilty of my faults thy sweet self prove.
For thou betraying me, I do betray
My nobler part to my gross body's treason;
My soul doth tell my body that he may
Triumph in love; flesh stays no farther reason,
But rising at thy name, doth point out thee
As his triumphant prize. Proud of this pride,
He is contented thy poor drudge to be,
To stand in thy affairs, fall by thy side.
No want of conscience hold it that I call
Her 'love,' for whose dear love I rise and fall.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.