[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If my goal in life is to become a writer, should i drop out engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: akira-motorcycle[1].jpg (129 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
akira-motorcycle[1].jpg
129 KB, 500x334
If my goal in life is to become a writer, should i drop out engineering and study english instead?
I like engineering, but i am really insecure thinking that i may be losing something by not getting a B.A. in english, and by seeing that almost all my favorite authors got one.
>>
You definitely do not a degree in English to be a writer. Most people doing a BA in English these days don't even read. If anything, it could taint you and your aspirations given that univeristy English is pretty cancerous unless you really find a niche.

Also, engineering sounds boring to me but if it pays well enough for you to work less hours and read/write more that's better than the bullshit office job you'd probably have to get with an English degree.
>>
it's not 100% necessary, but if you're serious about becoming a writer, why not go for the english major? better job prospects out of college would be one answer. you have to decide how important that is to you. the advantage of switching to english is not really the diploma but the opportunity to point both your work and leisure time at your goal, saturating your time with literature. alternatively, you could continue to pursue the engineering degree and just read and write regularly in your leisure time. but are you gonna do that, or are you gonna video games and post on 4chan when you get a break? you gotta figure that out. going for the english major would keep you focused.
>>
if your goal in life is to become a writer then write, lmao since when do you need a degree to become a good writer, sure edukation helps, but if you have the best grammar and can't write past a 10 page story then you're out of luck.
>>
>>7229199
>edukation
>>
>>7229177
Because i would have to give up engineering. And eventhough my goal in life is to write, i also want to learn more about engineering. Ideally i would do both.

>>7229199
>>7229162
Thanks for the advice. I just feel weird looking at all my favorite writers and seeing how different they are from me. Like i said, they all studied english and eventhough i have the desire to become a writer, i am really interested in other things as well.
>>
OP, You should go for the engineering degree, because you really don't need any kind of degree to be a writer. Go for the degree that gives you security, and work on writing in the meantime.
>>
>>7229134
if you drop engineering for english you are fucking retarded
>>
>>7229837
This, college is only about having a degree that helps you get a job. All the actual learning is earned at the library.
>>
"Wanting to be a writer" is misguided, and, at least, will ensure that you don't write anything good.

You should write because you have something to say.
>>
>>7229134
Hi OP, I'm in the same boat. I have finished my BA in engineering and took up a BA in MyNativeLanguage-ism. Not sure if I'll finish it, but it sure is effective in teaching my something about the literature of MyNativeLand. Why don't you do the same? Enjoy the "security" of your Engineering BA and then have enough time and stimulation to pursue your literary interests?
>>
>>7229886
Because i am actually doing my masters in engineering.
>>
>>7229899
How many semesters to go?
Is there a reaseon why you couldn't do a BA in English later?
>>
>>7229908
3 semesters. I think i could, but i will probably have a lot of work in a way that writing could be more productive than another degree. Also, i think that's very hard to conciliate working and studying for another degree.
>>
>>7229923
Hm.

You don't have to drop out of engineering forever, do you?
Do two or threee semesters in English, see if you have any worthwhile talent, decide then accordingly?
>>
>>7229886
Licence lettres modernes ?
>>
>>7229928
Un peu plus loin à l'ouest.
>>
>>7229926
No i don't. I think what i wish to know is about the value of an english degree. Because i can spend my time working to get one or reading/writing on my own., i it will be hard to do both i guess.
>>
>>7230355
>value of an english degree
Tuition fees? Where are you from exactly? What kind of engineering? ASL? Give some sweet details pls.
>Because i can spend my time working to get one or reading/writing on my own., i it will be hard to do both i guess.
I'm an enginner, so I'm all about efficiency and optimisation. My aim is to get a grip on my beloved German language, and I'm sure the most efficient way to get a grip on it is to study it in Uni.
Getting taught and the added perspective of profs and peers is much more efficient (in terms of time, money and fun) then doing it all on your own.
>it will be hard to do both i guess.
Oh come on peeps work next to uni all the time
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.