[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
books you fucking hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 614h0wOZHeS.jpg (110 KB, 827x1200) Image search: [Google]
614h0wOZHeS.jpg
110 KB, 827x1200
books you fucking hate
>>
This. It isn't funny or edgy nowadays. It's just diarrhea.
>>
>>7838156
>>7838177
why do you guys hate it?
Burroughs' cut-up method is great in that it isolates and alienates the seemingly insignificant senses and gives them a chaotic sense of fragmentary beauty. His adoption of methods from science and detective fiction and then jumbling them up gives the language a strangely literary quality.

I also think its important as a book of speech-act theory, where language becomes a tool with a performative function of disorder, eliminating the systems of control that Burroughs attacked, but on a linguistic level
>>
File: mangled pandy.jpg (33 KB, 467x720) Image search: [Google]
mangled pandy.jpg
33 KB, 467x720
It reads like book by someone who has been told they're clever their whole life, and feel the need to share their cleverness with the world.
Clever as in burger sense of the word, not bong.
>>
>>7838193
sentences* not senses
>>
>>7838193
That doesn't make it any more pleasant to read. For something so "chaotic" it's mostly a bumbling slog of a read.
>>
>>7838202
That's all you get out of a book? I feel sorry for you anon.

>>7838177
>implying the book was meant to be funny or edgy
>>
>>7838197
She learned from our Dave
>>
>>7838197
>tfw just got this book
... so, read quickly without paying much attention?
>>
File: bible.jpg (4 KB, 179x282) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
4 KB, 179x282
>>
I didn't like Naked Lunch much the first time I read it, but upon recently revisiting I actually enjoyed a good part of it. Some of the chapters are namely bad, I don't like any of the dumb sex/violence orgies, and as Burroughs writes in his postscript, they exist to offend, they exist to shock, to communicate the atmosphere of junkie culture. Maybe back in the 50's this worked, but today it comes across childish.

There is however a lot to like in the rest of the book. The chapters I found worked best are the ones that look upon junkie culture and the life of a petty criminal always on the run through an almost pop-art lens of Americana. The junkies as a network of super-spies or a criminal underworld, all their dealings as nearly state secrets, the authorities Orwellian overlords, all these twisted hallucinatory and paranoid ramblings on political parties and coorporate epsionage and stuff. The aesthetic there really works for me, the world of desperate diseased drifters in raised on cold war hysteria and Western serials.
>>
>>7838197
whats the difference in burger bong ideas of the word cleverness?
>>
>>7838244
Funny you mention that, for my student teaching thing for my masters I taught this for my cold war literature class. Most of the students hated it
>>
>>7838240
careful, you're gonna cut your neckbeard on all that edge.
>>
>>7838193

Do you actually take yourself seriously?

>>7838197
>>7838221

Zadie has the most charming prose in literature right now.
>>
>>7838273
>Do you actually take yourself seriously?
nah nigga, now fuck off
>>
>>7838275
you do ;)
>>
File: Ministry_of_Silly_Walks.jpg (14 KB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
Ministry_of_Silly_Walks.jpg
14 KB, 300x237
>>7838245
>western cleverness
satire
irony
comic role reversals
punning wordplay
cheeky observations
>english cleverness
rich people farting
'oi look he fokin wokin funny'
>>
>>7838245
P sure bong clever is what burgers call smart
>>
>>7838193
Burroughs fan here, he didn't use cut-up in Naked Lunch.
>>
>>7838287
sections of it definitely were
>>
>>7838284
are you being clever? don't get smart with me now
>>
>>7838287
>Burroughs fan here

Thanks for letting me know that your opinions are shit before having to read the rest of what you wrote.

Props.

10/10 awareness.

shit/10 taste.

now GTFO
>>
>>7838327
ugh
>>
>>7838305
Incorrect.

>>7838327
That's quite the hatred you have there. Did Burroughs personally rape you or something?
>>
>>7838193
>Your writing

>In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
>HEY 'NON!
Check my dubs
>>
>>7838156
i started this the other week and couldn't make it very far about a third. too gross too gay too redundant. won't be returning to it anytime soon... waste of my stomach to stomach it
>>
>>7838197
Jesus I fucking loathed On Beauty. Never touching any of her other books
>>
File: 1984_by_alcook-d4z39dh.jpg (1 MB, 1408x2142) Image search: [Google]
1984_by_alcook-d4z39dh.jpg
1 MB, 1408x2142
The fact that anyone likes this piece of literally 1984 level propaganda is mind blowing.
>>
>>7838156
literally gay brazilian boys getting strangled and jizzing the book.
>>
>>7838713
You forgot the skullfucking anon.
>>
The Grapes of Wrath

The Biblical language felt inappropriate and got old pretty quickly.
>>
>>7838283
>oi look he fokin wokin funny
Kek
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.