[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best book(s) for all things Caesar? I want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4
File: 60432.jpg (23 KB, 314x475) Image search: [Google]
60432.jpg
23 KB, 314x475
What's the best book(s) for all things Caesar? I want to learn everything there is to learn about the man. What he accomplished, who he influenced, quotes from him, his politics, etc.

Is pic related worth anything? I'd prefer just one solid book that housed as much information on him as possible.
>>
File: readthis.jpg (29 KB, 325x499) Image search: [Google]
readthis.jpg
29 KB, 325x499
>>7833361
I'll bump this for you, poor soul.

Always start with the primary source. There are writings that exist authored by Caesar. Start with his campaigns in Gaul. After that, if you're you're still hungry, read his civil war.

The absolute BEST book I've used a couple of times for essays is pic related.

Your pic related is fine, but it's best to read more than one book to "...learn everything." Particularly, the primary sources. Always start with that!
>>
>>7834493
Okay, cool. Thanks man.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2298x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2298x1936
>>7834493
I haven't read Gelzer's book, but that's interesting.

I began by reading The Gallic War at the library. You can always tell who has read this book and who hasn't too. Although the descriptions are quite staccato, Caesar almost always relays some emotional information (I recall one instance where he starts sobbing with the men remaining after the result of a bitter attack on the camp, which left almost everyone dead). Ultimately though I didn't get a lot out of this book.

I found a book on Caesar by Jimenez of Castle Books, and it turned out to be a great primer and very well organized. He's an excellent strategist and psychologist, and you learn more direct information from studying these battles then you will from Goldsworthy or Caesar himself. I found Goldsworthy's biography to be a great read, but highly philosophical at times and more focused on the environment and the man than I would have preferred. I don't regret spending the fifty dollars on a hardcover, however... so that must qualify things for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (946 KB, 1950x1482) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
946 KB, 1950x1482
I couldn't shake the impression I had of Caesar being more like Cuomo, Netanyahu or Clinton than the more traditional "stoic" Caesar of Engish literature.

The English notion of Caesar has always struck me as having a very Eastern element of cultural diffidence. Plain-spoken, uninteresting and fundamentally narrow. I don't think that's what he was like at all, and I doubt that such a character could lay the groundwork for an Augustus!

I think having a broader personality managed to make him a better and a resourceful politician. Having said that, I don't think he opted for Clintonian antics too frequently.
>>
>>7833361
>I want to learn everything there is to learn
>prefer just one book

kek. Have fun reading Caesar, Suetonius, Plutarch, Dio, and countless secondary sources.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.