[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit. I have an english assignment due tomorrow, the theme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 20070508-helpme.jpg (13 KB, 380x253) Image search: [Google]
20070508-helpme.jpg
13 KB, 380x253
Hello /lit. I have an english assignment due tomorrow, the theme is memory and its a unconventional narrative with a fragmented structure. Can someone please make it good.

One looks back over the past as a book, but while we are at the present we see the future as a page . Memories are something we love and hate. We collect so many over years of happiness and sadness, and it vanishes instantaneously when we die. “You are who you choose to be.” Ted Hughes writes in Iron Man. Life is like a river delta with what starts as a blank singular slate, floods into thousands of paths creating millions of possibilities and opportunities. Life is a long journey with a short painful end, and no remission. Stress and obstacles materialise as we interact with our surroundings and people making one hustle and strive or suppress and stifle desire. Our self-conscious minds allow us to feel complex amalgams of emotions. Is there a greater purpose of living or just an evolutional treadmill? Should you ignore the concept and live in the present until your life ends, knowing that it will, or should you attempt to find a deeper reason for existing.
>>
Part 2/3

We travel through each page of the past, writing diaries in our mind; impressions, smells, places, people. Creation of memories is something we do subconsciously. We live in the present and look back into the past while riding into the future. A sense of time is not knowing a number but allowing yourself to be in the present, future and past at once. The past is something we forget, and the future is what we fear or long for. Some experiences go quickly, while others seem as if they will never end.” And the elephant sings deep in the forest-maze. About a star of deathless and painless peace. But no astronomer can find where it is.” To achieve happiness one must live in the moment and pursue life to the fullest until the future comes down to the end of the book, its last page. The combination of wants and a focus on the future and past creates an unfertile mind for creating happiness. Once we created society, we created false senses and impurities that overtake us and create our distracted minds. The ability to create memories subconsciously is the greatest and worst attribute that has been granted to us. Life is an experiment, “there is no escape except escape until death.” One of the few things that allows us to see our purpose in life is when we leave it. For some people who have shared their lives and given other people an opportunity to develop and grow, it is a happy experience. What footprint we have left in the ground and what leaves we have crushed? We look back to see what time has engulfed us into living a short life (or maybe a long one?) and what change we have created is perceived in a moment to be taken and remembered by others living their lives. Our pages blend into someone else’s book. We have no control over it. Others compile their memories from the scraps we leave behind. How creative are they? We do not know and cannot control the process. However, we do know that the goodness we have left behind, the good deeds, will most likely beget other good deeds. All we can do is to hope and to act.
>>
Part 3/3

We look back, but it is the quality of our deeds that permeates the past. Is there an inherent quality to good and bad? How do we tell them apart? God only knows. However, it seems that the good deeds will ultimately beget the good, and the bad, the bad. Thou shalt know the results of your deeds by the fruit they bare.

One can look at our memories as indelible chinks in the rock of time. Fate creates the book of our lives that we will be asked to account of the end of life. Is that a real possibility? Some people seem to think, like the ancient Greeks that our fates are written way ahead of our lives, and all we have to do is to ask an oracle to give you a clue. But the clue is never mathematical or complete. It contains another mystery in it, which we have to find out by living. King Oedipus thought he knew the meaning of his life when it was divined to him by the oracle. But it had a twist in it. By telling him that he will marry his mother and kill his own father. So Oedipus knew the meaning of his life. But did it help him at all? Not really, so the Ancient Greeks were attempting to tell one that the meaning of life, even if known in advance, is still inscrutable.
>>
>>7831086
What exactly are you looking for when you say, "make it good?"
>>
I mean edit it so its much smoother. I am also meant to relate it to ted hughes the poet so i put some quotes in there. If you know him you can change some of the style so its more like his.
>>
>>7831086
I really don´t see the sense and meaning of the 2 qoutes.

Try those isteand:

"There is no bigger pain, than to remember great times turing
misery [times]." Dante Alighieri.

"Not by forgetting, but by remembering is
salvation epitomized." Baal Schem Tov

"If we´d know, what people remember, we´d maybe know, what they will do." Lord Halifax

"Who looks back, falls" Karl Heinrich Waggerl

"Forgetting is bad, but false remembering is worse." Helmut Lamprecht

Otherwise it´s great, just matching qoutes.
>>
>>7831086
hi op

i didn't read your stupid story, but I want to ask you something
are you female or just a fag?
>>
>>7831185
What makes you think that?
>>
>>7831175
thanks for the advice
>>
don't use rhetorical questions unless you have already provided enough evidence to thoroughly imply a resounding agreement/disagreement from the reader. rhetoric questions are not supposed to be actual thought provoking questions; they are used as a tool of emphasis.

e.g.
>thesis = dogs are better than cats
>dogs can fetch
>dogs are nice
>cats are assholes
>so, which is the better animal?

my example is tremendously crude, but you get the point. you're supposed to let the reader answer the question for themselves, but the evidence you provided in the paper is so persuasive that the reader is compelled to side with you and answer the question a certain way.
>>
>>7831175
"Wardine be cry." David Foster Wallace
>>
>>7831276
Thanks this is good advice.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.