[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone read this? I'm enjoying it but I have no idea what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Anyone read this? I'm enjoying it but I have no idea what's going on in the overarching plot with Burlingame, Coode, and Baltimore and all them

I get the impression the plot is like this on purpose, a sort of self-aware parody of these kind of historical novel plots, especially with all these impostors and double crossers, but how important is it I actually know what's going on?
>>
>>7830099
Cool. I've not read it, but the only Barth I've read (*Lost in the Fun House*) was amazing. I've been meaning to read more of his stuff for years, and this one sounds interesting.
>>
>>7830099
I just started it a few days ago, only like 50 pages in, but really loving it, will probably check out some more by Barth. The notion of Burlingame's "fickleness" was really interesting to me, and going along with it Eben saying something like "impossible to choose between ways of living, every life being so novel to be desirable to live" - I'm similarly troubled by what to settle on, but the impetus to jump from living to living is so fascinating. Only being as far in as I am, I'd definitely recommend it a read
>>
>>7830104
It's incredibly funny if nothing else
The main character is something between Ignatius Reilly and Candide
>>
>>7830111
>Eben saying something like "impossible to choose between ways of living, every life being so novel to be desirable to live" - I'm similarly troubled by what to settle on, but the impetus to jump from living to living is so fascinating.

struck a chord with me too. i find it interesting Barth laid the book out as a conclusion to his 'nihilism' trilogy only to discover what he thought of as nihilism was really the paralysis of innocence and inexperience
>>
>>7830111
you sound like a huge faggot
>>
>>7830135
he sounds like Eben Cooke
>>
Potential reader here, how similar is it to Mason & Dixon?
>>
>>7830135
why's that, friend?

>>7830279
Haven't read past the first pages of M&D but it's significantly easier, at the very least
>>
>>7830279
i mean, john barth is not thomas pynchon
they're similar only insofar as they are postmodernist comedies of early america
>>
>>7830435
I disagree with that. I find Sot-Weed much harder to read at times. I feel like Barth's prose is fairly authentic to the period and Pynchon's is just kind of playing a joke on it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.