[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shakespeare by heart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: shake.jpg (116 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
shake.jpg
116 KB, 500x370
What lines by Shakespeare have you memorized to quote in front of insolent multitudes to appear intellectuozy.
>>
>>6141694
The to be or not to be one, honestly.
>>
My favorite is the "And measure still for measure" speech
>>
remember back in the days when niggas had ways etc etc
>>
There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.
>>
>>6141708
What's an uppity niggrah like thouself doing amid these fora?
>>
The quality of mercy...
>>
>I may chance have some odd quirks and remnants of wit broken on me,
because I have railed so long against marriage: but doth not the appetite alter? a man loves the meat in his youth that he cannot endure in his age. Shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of the brain awe a man from the career of his humour?
Just seems so eloquent.
>>
But to the girdle do the gods inherit. Beneath is all the fiends. There's Hell, there's darkness, there's the sulfurous pit. Burning, scalding, stench, consumption; fie, fie, fie, pah, pah! Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination. There's money in it for you.
>>
cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war
>>
Tomorrow in the battle think on me
Fall your sword and despair

Alas! Poor Yorick. I knew him, Horatio. He was a fellow of INFINITE JESTĀ®, A NOVEL BY DAVID FOSTER WALLACE (1996), of most excellent fancy.

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
>>
brevity is the soul of wit
>>
For the angel of death spread his wings on the blast,
and breathed in the face of the foe as he passed,
and the eyes of sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
and but once heaved and forever grew still.
>>
>>6144180
a couple words
>>
I'm working on this one....from memory:

Shall i compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate
Rough Winds do shake the darling Buds of May
And summer's Lease hath all too short a date
Some times too hot the eye of heaven shines
And often is his gold complexion dimmed
By chance or nature's course untrimmed
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that thou ownst
Nor shall the devil brag thou wanderst in his shade
For as long as men can breathe, and eyes can see

I lose it there but I'm working...
>>
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But none such roses see I in her cheeks
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my lady reeks

Might not be exact as I am a drunk, bitter cynic alone on Valentine's day.
>>
I come up with my own thoughts because I'm not a drooling idiot
>>
>A horse! My kingdom for a horse!
>>
I know the first half of Hamlet's 'To be or not to be' soliloquy.
Also Coriolanus' banishment monologue, Prince Hal's 'imitate the sun,' soliloquy, Edmund's soliloquy in Lear, Puck's closing monologue, and Macbeth's 'tomorrow' speech. Shit man, I know a lot of Shakespeare! I suppose being a literature/theatre type will make me insufferable at dinner parties.
>>
i have two "seemingly" patrician friends who prefer film to reading.

one of them i suppose i'll give a pass, but the other i KNOW has not read enough to make this ignorant assertion.

to add insult to injury, they both think Shakespeare sucks and is not necessary for school.

are they just faggots? i didnt expect such philistinism from them.
>>
Oh, beware, my lord, of jealousy! It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on.
>>
>>6145198

They're probably dumb. Shakespeare isn't hard to understand you just have to get the little words. If they don't have the patience for that they're probably pretty simple or ignorant.
>>
shylocks monologue
>>
>>6145209
It's not that, they understand it fine. They're pretty intelligent creatures. One of them is not as smart as he thinks, though.

They don't think it's interesting nor entertaining. They think he's overrated to the point of not being that influential.

I think they underestimate how plebby of an opinion that is.

I don't understand, it's immensely poetic and simply fun to read.

I'm going to call them out next time, because one of them should certainly know better. You don't have to love Billy Shakes but you should understand his damned importance.
>>
>>6145225
what makes shakespeare good if you're so enlightened and your high school lunch table is full of plebs
>>
>>6145225

Have they read other Elizabethan literature? Or at least understand the historical context behind his work? If not their opinions are uninformed and invalid and you should grill their dumb asses on it. Srsly film as a medium needs less idiots.
>>
>Be not afeard: the isle is full of noises
>>
>>6141694
>what is done cannot be undone
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.