[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Bloom come to America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Why didn't Bloom come to America?
>>
>>7817239
The Jewish dad or the son? Either way, why would he?
>>
>>7817241
Bloom finds himself oppressed by the English for being too Irish, beleaguered by the Irish for being too Jewish, and haunted by the ghost of his Jewish grandfather for being too Goyische.

Immigration of both Jews and Irishmen was exceptionally common at the turn of the 20th century. My own ancestors, members of both those nations, emigrated to Philadelphia around the time Ulysses is set. Bloom's mind constantly turns to the United States, especially New York, a city which he mentions in nearly every chapter.

So why not leave the island?
>>
>>7817239
They wouldn't let him in since he's not white.
>>
>>7817272
Did Molly want to? Would she let him? He was a little spineless?
>>
>>7817272
Because the book took place in a day, he could have later for all we know
>>
>>7817313
>>
File: 1447548240481.jpg (104 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
1447548240481.jpg
104 KB, 400x392
>>7817239
Couldn't get over the wall.
>>
>>7817239
There's anxiety expressed about immigration in the novel -- see the quite common references to the Canada swindle case and the disaster referenced in a few chapters to 1,000 women and children dying in a disaster in New York the Sunday before the book takes place.

Immigration is not a simple decision or an easy endeavour. Considered alongside what everyone else in this thread has pointed out, I think there's your answer.
>>
>>7817603
I figured I'd mention a few more examples. Recall the line: out of Egypt and into the house of bondage, sarcastically referring to Moses leading the tribes of Israel out of their bondage in Egypt. Also remember that Bloom's grandfather experience quite a few troubles when leaving Austria-Hungary.

Also, parts of Finnegans Wake are symbolically and thematically set in Dublin, Georgia, so FW might provide you some clues, though I can understand not approaching it.

Joyce recognized that despite the hope surrounding Irish identity with America, there was still prejudice toward not only Irishmen, but Jews as well, and Bloom would likely worry that his troubles would only multiply if he left Ireland, where he at least has a home and work (albeit unstable work) and friends. Joyce was rather cynical about Irish nationalism, which was ideologically very positively invested in the Irish-American population, and largely based much of its own image on American culture (or the Irish perception of it).
>>
>>7817313
/thread
>>
He says in Cyclops that he identifies nationally as Irish. A lot of jews during WW2 identified as German or Polish, with their families having lived there for nearly a thousand years. That's what made it so difficult for them to just get up and leave, and a lot of them stayed and died because of it.
>>
Bloom is clearly very interested in the Palestinian settlements. As a Christian with a Christian mother, would he have been allowed to emigrate?
>>
>>7818245
and a christian father
>>
>>7818468
Ah you're right. These days, he'd be allowed admittance into Israel due to being half-Jewish by descent, but would that have worked in the oughts?
>>
File: Bloom Giggle.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Bloom Giggle.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
He is already here m8.
>>
>>7817306
this is the best answer imo, Molly is too attached to Ireland/Spain etc. to ever want to go to America with Poldy
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.