[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any recommended books for people getting over depression and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 200x182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 200x182
Any recommended books for people getting over depression and starting to look forward again?
>>
>>5963860

Dazai and Mishima.
>>
The Art of Hapiness
>>
The Old Man and the Sea might be helpful
>>
>>5963860
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
>>
if you have any religious tendencies, East of Eden.
>>
Anything by Camus: yes, life is shit, and maybe suicide is the only choice that makes sense, but maybe life isn't about making sense.
>>
File: 61UbQXxc-iL.jpg (119 KB, 772x1230) Image search: [Google]
61UbQXxc-iL.jpg
119 KB, 772x1230
weather the storm of life
>>
>>5963916

then die
>>
The Bible
The Baghavad Gita
The works of Marcus Aurelius, Senece and Epictetus
The works of Epicurus and Lucretius
The works of Augustine and Aquinas
The works of Aristotles
The works of Nietzsche (sometimes)
The Qu'ran (perhaps)
The works of Henry Miller (seriously)
The works of Montaigne and Descartes
The Divine Comedy, and Dante's works generally
The works of Rabelais
The works of Goethe (some of them at least)
Some erotic poetry
The works of Emerson

Now that we've covered the basis, the thread can begin.
>>
>>5963860
Elliot Rodger's Supreme Manifesto
>>
>>5963941
>erotic poetry

Nice.
>>
>>5963860
Series of Unfortunate Events. It's easy, funny, filled with references to other literature, and a major theme is moving forward despite tragedy.

And now I will leave /lit/ forever so no one can attack this small corner of my childhood.
>>
>>5964946
ppppplllllleeeeeeeebbbbbbb
>>
>>5963867
This guy is trolling you.

I'd say Emerson like this guy >>5963941, and also some of the more positive Dosto books, like The Brothers Karamazov.
>>
>>5963890
Is this actually good?
>>
>>5963941
What erotic poetry would you recommend?
>>
>>5964946
yeah, I read an enjoyed them as a kid too. Do they still hold up at YA?
>>
>>5965048
As long as you approach them without the mind of a literary critic they're not bad.
>>
Maybe you'd be interested in romantic literature?

Dive into the unknown, explore the beautiful irrationality, find the truth that is true for you?
>>
If your going through a depression read Flowers of Evil. Best emotional roller coaster ever. Make sure you read it during the sunrise, though.
>>
I recommend Siddhartha, plebby happy escapism fiction, key self improvement books (eg 7 habits or How to win friends), and some carpe diem-esque existential stuff.
>>
File: d.jpg (153 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
153 KB, 640x480
>>5965103
But which translation is the least plebeian?
>>
File: 1415924421277.jpg (262 KB, 1024x1366) Image search: [Google]
1415924421277.jpg
262 KB, 1024x1366
>>5965119
>plebby happy escapism fiction
>tfw
>>
>>5965143
Is what's depicted on the screen what this guy is watching? If so, the graphics are shit and the subject matter is boring as fuck. A rainbow? Really? That lantern is more interesting.

This photo would be more convincing if it was a big ol' pair of titties or something.
>>
>>5965142
Not really sure. I didn't read it in English. I read a version that had the translated version on the left page and the original text at the right page. That's the only way to read poetry if you don't know the native language well.
>>
>>5965143
Yes, it's showing the view on each of the Oculus' screens, and yes, I think that's a lame VR to choose if you are miserable and wanting to escape reality.
>>
File: virtual-reality-strange-art.jpg (223 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
virtual-reality-strange-art.jpg
223 KB, 1600x1200
>>5965158
It's a homage to pic related.
Would work way better if his apartment didn't look middle class as fuck
>>
>>5965292
Interesting, I didn't know that. When is the original from?
>>
>>5965309
Not certain, but it has been floating around for a long while.
>>
>>5965326
Never mind found it:
http://eranfolio.deviantart.com/art/Reality-78861805
>>
>>5965158
>Missing the point
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.