[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody on /lit/ speak Japanese as a second language? You guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
Anybody on /lit/ speak Japanese as a second language?

You guys have got me convinced I shouldn't read translations if I'm capable of learning another language, and I feel like a lot of other people on here (deep down) feel the same way. Though, like a lot of people, learning another language seems a bit daunting for me.

So ITT: What's your experience learning new languages? And what advice would you give to somebody learning another language. I personally am most interested in Japanese, but I don't want to limit the thread at all.
>>
>he actually fell for the 'translations' meme

kek

just read it in english retard
>>
>>7811102

The >translation thing is largely a meme. It's obviously impractical in general to learn other languages for the sole purpose of reading literature in the original. Surely the optimal choice is to seek out the best translations.
As for choice of language for reading, I have some familiarity (if not fluency) with Japanese and I can say it would be a tough choice for reading because of the thousands of kanji, along with how they combine. It would involve a comparatively high degree of effort relative to the literary payoff.
>>
>>7811126
>>7811151

While it's undoubtely a meme, I'd say it has some truth to it. Reading the original is miles better than reading a translation, but only if your comprehension of the language is on par with your first one.

And of course, to reach that level you would need to study even the most basic of languages for quite some time. I'd say go for it if you really love Japanese culture and literature, but if you are just curious about it, then don't bother.
>>
File: 1453066084533.jpg (72 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1453066084533.jpg
72 KB, 800x800
I seriously don't get why people wanna learn japanese of all languages. Their population is literally dying, the have few good comics, a few good movies but they're all translated\subbed so it doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>>7811240
I mean, that's fine but I feel that their contribution to literature is pretty significant. And I have heard (while realizing that it's kind of pretentious to say this) that the language is superior to English, from people who have learned Japanese as a second language and are very fluent in the language. And the fact that their population is dying is irrelevant unless you can argue that it will totally die in any of our lifetimes.
>>
File: 1453412258357.jpg (22 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
1453412258357.jpg
22 KB, 400x250
>>7811301
>And I have heard that the language is superior to English, from people who have learned Japanese as a second language
>but I feel that their contribution to literature is pretty significant
Really?
>>
>>7811102
choo choo meme martian
>>
>>7811240
Other than obvious reasons (weebs), I can vouch for the fact that most manga don<t get translated, and those that do, are those that interest the people translating, which usually means they're very popular in japan, and usually the weebiest shit out there. There are some exceptions, but not many.
>>
>>7811102
Work at it everyday, even if it's just 15 minutes. Consistent practice really makes a difference. Work at it in different ways, with varying methods, until you find the ones that work for you best. Also, it's quicker to learn a language if you attempt to use it and live it i.e. speak and think in the language, rather than just studying it and never applying your knowledge.

Learned Fench, currently learning Spanish. French was worthwhile, if just for the rich literary culture (though I get other uses for it, especially since I enjoy cooking and cuisine)

A minor annoyance is having words come to your mind in the wrong language, especially when speaking.
>>
>>7811993
thats why anime is great
besides a few specials it ALL gets subbed
>>
>>7812034
Anime is much less popular than manga in Japan, so there's a lot less of it.

Also anime is garbage, but that's a conversation you can have here >>>/a/
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 768x1024
/lit/
>kek
>>
File: 1429609192417.jpg (21 KB, 298x399) Image search: [Google]
1429609192417.jpg
21 KB, 298x399
>>7811301
>the [Japanese] language is superior to English

Back when I was a weeb, I had a conversation with a Japanese family friend who had immigrated 30 years prior. I told him that I wanted to learn Japanese, and his response was:

>Why, at such a young age, are you interested in knowing Japanese? I have spent my whole life trying to forget it...
>>
>>7811301
>And I have heard (while realizing that it's kind of pretentious to say this) that the language is superior to English, from people who have learned Japanese as a second language and are very fluent in the language.

Were they weeaboos, or should we actually take their opinions seriously?

Frankly if you have taken the time to learn a new language you would probably begin to appreciate what is beautiful about it anyway. I'm very fond of the Czech language even though most people would not consider it particularly pretty. But as you start to learn about the grammar, and familiarise yourself with the pronunciation then it has an appeal to it. The sharp consonants contrasted against the soft diphthongs are the characteristics I like best.

When I lived there I used the more formal form of goodbye, just because I liked the sound of it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.