[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>never went to college >have really wanted to dig into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: the-man-who-sleeps.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the-man-who-sleeps.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
>never went to college
>have really wanted to dig into writing recently
>have barely read any books in my life
Is there really any point in me trying to write? Compared to other authors or aspirants in my age range, I probably have a piss poor vocabulary and I really wouldn't want to settle for writing schlock.
>>
Can you write well? Have you tried? I mean, there are probably a bunch of writers who never went to college and didn't really read much, even great ones, even canon ones. It's not a great start but if you want to write, you may as well go ahead. Write because you enjoy writing, don't worry about the quality of the output.
>>
>>7798507
considering the shit that gets published these days, i don't think one needs much of a writing background anymore.
>>
Of course you're unequipped, but there's no reason you can't start reading and writing and learning now.
But do realize, nobody writes who does not read. Unless you've had some crazy life worth sharing, it's just not realistic.
You have to love the art of literature itself, and not just that of storytelling to be a writer. If you feel like writing but don't have any interest in reading or studying writing, maybe you don't really want to be a writer, maybe you want to direct movies like the one you posted and see writing as the most convenient creative outlet. Maybe it is, but it's still not easy.

>have barely read any books in my life
Never too late to start exploring.
>never went to college
This really doesn't matter. English majors may have a bit of an upper hand being walked through and taught the harder works, but mostly formal education does nothing for the creative process. Creative Writing programs perhaps even stifle it.
If you're serious about writing get at it, and when you've got a story you're proud of send it around to be published. Being published (for free, obviously) in a zine is easier than ever

In whatever you do, good luck anon.
>>
>>7798575
>mostly formal education does nothing for the creative process.
worse yet, it usually hinders it.
>>
>>7798575
OP here. I do want to direct movies. That is my biggest passion in life. But I've been extremely interested in the world of literature for some time. Even just lurking /lit/ is compelling to me. I'm just intimidated by how out of the loop I am and fear I'm not smart enough to contribute anything worth reading. I'm kind of a dope tbqh.

Thanks for your post.
>>
>>7798507
That's a bullshit attitude and a definite way to be dumb. You don't need college education to read or write. It's just something you do and improve on.

People go to uni to get a paper, and they show the paper to their future employer
>>
>>7798575
how do you even choose the zine?
>>
honestly, if you don't have the education, don't have the practice, and don't read, then you're in for a long road

by all means, write if you want (particularly if you're just writing for pleasure) just don't expect it to be any good and I certainly would not bank on it for any revenue
>>
>>7798945
listen to this anon, anon
>>
>>7798964
how do you even chose what to have for breakfast?
>>
>>7798507
just write brother. it will take practice to iron out your style, but there's no need to worry about lack of vocabulary. when you run authors like Hemingway or John Williams or even DFW through the Dale–Chall readability formula their writing comes out at like a 9th grade level (meaning their vocabulary fit into what polled students of this grade level mostly understood) Point is, big vocabulary doesnt make you a good writer.
>>
>>7798636
Start writing now. Focus on writing because you feel passionately driven to create art, not because someone else may think it worth reading. And as other anons have said, you may be a little behind the curve, but it's never too late to start exploring the world of literature. The best writers don't have to be trained, they just practice reading and writing
>>
Standards for great writers have dropped a lot because of technology.

Every writer is constantly confronted with their phone, laptop, Youtube, etc. It's very difficult to give writing the same amount of attention that past writers could give it.
>>
>>7799710
cause i know what there is to choose from.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.