[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are some people so into the deep 'lore' of franchises
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: GuaTewet_tree_of_life-LHFage.jpg (2 MB, 1947x2481) Image search: [Google]
GuaTewet_tree_of_life-LHFage.jpg
2 MB, 1947x2481
Why are some people so into the deep 'lore' of franchises like Star Wars, Marvel, etc.? And why do they love talking about and sharing it with others so much? Also, what's with that thing some people do where they seem to talk all about 'I know this movie or thing isn't that deep or emotional, but it has all of these explosions and samurais and swords and shit and it's so fucking cool OMG'?
>>
I'm slightly like that, but I have many universes that I've immersed myself in over the years, so I don't have any single all consuming obsession with anything. It's the ultimate pursuit of escapism, to fully construct a world of fantasy in your mind. It's very stimulating. I have tact when sharing that kind of stuff with people, but I do enjoy those kinds of conversations when I find someone equally interested. It's like the adventure is renewed when I'm sharing it with others

I don't understand the second type of person you're describing though, but I also feel like depth can be found even in the most outwardly simplistic movies if you have eyes to see it.
>>
>>7790476
pop culture has become a form of mass produced mythology. Unlike organic folklore, these myths are micromanaged by a few corporate entities. They are free to push their ideological implications on our collective psyche and there's no much we can do about it.
>>
>>7790520
In a way, the fantasy universes of Marvel comics and Star Wars represent a rediscovery of pre-autorship and pre-literate myth-making, but they are also very limited because in the end, they are simply a tool engineered to sell knicknacks and movie tickets
>>
>>7790476
>Also, what's with that thing some people do where they seem to talk all about 'I know this movie or thing isn't that deep or emotional, but it has all of these explosions and samurais and swords and shit and it's so fucking cool OMG'?

there's nothing inherently liking cool-but-hollow spectacle but people try to distance themselves from it by saying they know it's hollow
>>
File: tumblr_muunh2Md0F1rcp7bmo1_1280.jpg (262 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muunh2Md0F1rcp7bmo1_1280.jpg
262 KB, 900x600
>>7790566
There was a period in the 70's and 80's where certain writers were allowed to fully divulge in absolutely off the wall world building and eventually formed a Cosmic order of reality in their universe that was so much fun to unravel the mysteries of. If you got to the point where you really understood the grand scale of the Marvel universe, you would begin to frame every single story as being woven into this existential Cosmic conflict between Order and Chaos as primordial forces that are reflected throughout creation in a sweeping hierarchy of different beings that shaped it's planets and civilizations.

For example, the Kree and the Skrull and their eternal war against one another is one of the primary reflections of the battle between Order and Chaos, with the hyper militaristic fascism of the Kree stand for order, and the asexual shape shifting Skrulls sand for chaos. The Eternals and the Deviant have the same conflict respectively.

It was genuinely at one point a really fun universe.
>>
>>7790476
Star Wars got me into philosophy. I watched them later on in life (when I was 23) and then went out and read the Tao and a bunch of Plutarch, which lead to Buddhist sayings and the Greeks in general.

The trash version of these lore-based media have nothing beneath their shallow surfaces or they'll have a weak "...and so discrimination is bad"-type message to them; their main appeal is simple escapism. The good ones can be gateway lit though.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.