[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit guy here. I don't like read books or anything,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
Hey /fit guy here. I don't like read books or anything, I mostly just lift weights and workout in-between volunteer work and looking for jobs.

I want to improve cause I don't want people to think I'm stupid. What books can I read so that people won't think I'm dumb?
>>
>>7809017
non-fiction i guess
reading fiction will make you cultured, not intelligent
>>
>>7809017
>I don't want people to think X

If you even need to ask I'm sure they already thought that, there is nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>7809017
>What books can I read so that people won't think I'm dumb?
As long as you care what others think about you (and as long as you go about adjusting your life to suit their desired image), you will always be a moron.

If you are actually interested in learning something, I would recommend: (1) How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later by Philip K. Dick and (2) Education & The Significance of Life by Jiddu Krishnamurti. Both are shot and easy reads that shouldn't take you long to finish.
>>
>>7809036
*shot=short
>>
Infinite jest bro. Main character plays tennis and hits the weights to nigga. You will learn a lot and totally relate brosef. Enjoy
>>
If you don't read and understand the following, pretty much anybody within any category or class (nerds, jocks, bookworms, geeks, etc.) whatever will find you dumb:

Hegel - Phenomenology of Spirit
Joyce - Finnegans wake
Derrida - Of Grammatology
Kripke - A Completeness Theorem in Modal Logic
Kanamori - The Higher Infinite: Large Cardinals in Set Theory from Their Beginnings
Johnstone - Sketches of an Elephant: A Topos Theory Compendium
>>
>>7809017
Hey, /fit guy

Fun stuff:
1)Aesop's Fables
2)Nine Stories (J.D. Salinger)
3)Zen Flesh Zen Bones (Paul Repps (I think it's Paul))

Educational Stuff:
1)Aesop's Fables
2)Pick a historical event that's not WWII that you'd like to know more about. Get 1 (it doesn't matter which) book on it. As you read, you will come across things that pique your interest--write them down. After you finish the book, look back to your list and move from there. (repeat as needed)
3)The True Believer (Eric Hoffer(This is really useful during an election year btw)).

This guy's spot on>>7809025
This guy's spot on, even though it's a little cold.

Take a humanities class at community college. Those are usually fun and educational. ($350+-)
>>
>>7809125
>This guy's spot on, even though it's a little cold.
referring to>>7809036
>>
That guy has more tits than most girls I know.
>>
Allen Ginsberg should be right up your alley.
>>
Read the sticky
>>
>>7809160
you wouldn't say that to his face you scrawny punk
>>
>>7809017
Start with the Greeks
How has this not been posted yet?
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>7809017
Read Arnold Schwarzenegger's "The Education of a Bodybuilder." That would be a good book to start because the subject interests you.
>>
>>7809172
Sure I would. I'd give him the crazy bookish maniac eyes and he'd back the frick off.
>>
>>7809017
>I want to improve cause I don't want people to think I'm stupid.

That's... not a reason to get into literature. It's either a medium you can enjoy, or it's not.

Do you also lift because you want people to validate your sense of self-worth based on your physical appearance? Maybe you need to head on over to >>>/adv/ for some self-help tips.
>>
File: 1451699222941.jpg (2 MB, 4961x3508) Image search: [Google]
1451699222941.jpg
2 MB, 4961x3508
>>
>>7809234
Leave him be, many people start things for a stupid reason only to fall in love with it for the right ones. It's quite evident in fitness, most people start lifting because they want to look nice, only to find out that the action itself is satisfying for its own sake, not for any other reason.
>>
>>7809227
>crazy bookish maniac eyes
You mean the ol SARTE STARE
>>
>>7809253
Antigone fucked me up last weekend.
>>
>>7809266
>>
>>7809109
lol, goodun m8
>>
>>7809253
Not bad, but very predictable
>>
>>7809253
Good list.
>>
>>7809017
Why do you give a shit if people think you're stupid or not? Are you saying that you want to read to increase your job prospects, or what? I dunt get it OP

Btw, you can still be dumb and read a lot.

If you want to give people the impression of being well-read, which I suppose is a form of intelligence, you'd be better off following the news and current politics.
>>
>>7809262
This. I started both exercise and reading lit this way
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.