[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
nothing is sacred
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: 4L_nWAFogJ7.jpg (156 KB, 677x1237) Image search: [Google]
4L_nWAFogJ7.jpg
156 KB, 677x1237
nothing is sacred
>>
>trailer
It's short stories right?
>>
>>7803720
Why is cultural appropriation bad?
>>
>>7803835
>“Borrowing” is a key component of cultural appropriation. In the 1950s, white musicians borrowed the musical stylings of their black counterparts. Because African Americans weren’t widely accepted in U.S. society at that time, record executives chose to have white recording artists replicate the sound of black musicians. This led to musical forms such as rock-n-roll being largely associated with whites in spite of the fact that black musicians were pioneers of the art form. This move also had financial consequences, as many of the black musicians who helped pave the way for rock-n-roll’s success never saw a dime for their contributions to the music.
>>
>>7803835
It isn't, but the pleb-tier shitlord Tumblrites of the world like to fuck us all over with thier "special snowflake" definitions of what's culturally sensitive and what isn't. Nothing is fucking culturally sensitive when scrutinized to it's base, and it's naive to think otherwise.

Provocation is, to a certain degree, what makes life interesting.
>>
>>7803720
so .jk rowlong is supposed to be sacred ?
>>
>cultural appropriation is bad
Meanwhile, you don't see those SJW complaining about themselves watching anime and wearing cosplay from anime. It's only bad when white people do it.
>>
>>7803720
I'm no Rowling fan, but writers making use of pre-existing myths and legends is a very common tool with a long history. You don't see these people complaining about writers using European myths from cultures that the writer isn't part of.
>>
>>7803879
But anime isn't a medium exclusive to a culture. In fact, it's probably Japan's most salient export, an international one.

>>7803871
It doesn't matter if culture isn't inherently sacred when scrutinized. The people protecting it will get in your shit if you're a big enough jackass about it. See: Muhammad cartoons.
>>
>>7803893
But anime, now, is part of Japanese culture.
>>
how dare she take an interest in an alien culture
that bitch
>>
>>7803898
Anime's a huge subculture in America, France, Turkey, Russia, Australia, and China. It isn't, nor was it ever, uniquely Japanese (much of better known anime is strongly influenced by 80s and 90s American action movies), as Disney cartoons were never strictly American (European folktales much?). You might as well as argue that oranges are unique to SEA, where they originated from, and yet they're grown all over the world.
>>
>>7803893
but mohamed cartoons are funny
>>
>>7803835
>>7803879
>>7803886
Look, the issue isn't as simple as simple cultural transmission from one group of people to another. The reason why people criticize cultural appropriation is due to colonial history and contemporary power relations. Cultural appropriate is supposed to be bad due to the relations of oppression and subordination between white people and Native Americans. Not only that, but cultural appropriation in this context is supposed to contribute to oppression even further by taking the "voice" of Native peoples away from them. This isn't a respectful portrayal of these people that's sensitive to their complex histories and religious beliefs. It's just a hodge podge of cliches packaged up as a YA fantasy story. For a lot of people, this movie will be one of the only sources of their understanding of Native religious beliefs, and it's being told not by actual Natives, but by a middle aged British woman who writes children's stories. The issue isn't cultural influence, the issue is that the "ruling class" is taking over the job of telling the world about who these oppressed people are and what they're like. When the social representation of a peoples culture isn't created by that culture, but by their oppressors, then we have a problem. then we have cultural appropriation.

Even if you deny that this is a political issue, you should at least be able to see how incredibly tacky it is.
>>
>>7803952
>complex histories and religious beliefs
Well, if they cannot communicate those complex histories and beliefs, then perhaps they are of little value and their more refined counterparts from other cultures are already well known, rendering the former irrelevant? I don't understand diversity for the sake of diversity alone.
>>
>>7803952

In this world, you either have an empire or are a part of somebody else's.

You're complaining about what happens to people when they find themselves upon the losing side of history. Tough shit; the victor makes the rules.

On what planet can the conquered make demands of their conquerors?

>>7803893

Please kill yourself. Tonight.
>>
>>7803907
Do you see now why cultural appropriation isn't a bad thing?
>>
I hate the way Tumblrettes expect British people to completely clued up to American culture. Pissing and moaning whenever anyone 'appropriates' American culture and never stopping to think for a moment that we actually have our own culture and this stuff is alien to us. And rather than give her the benefit of the doubt when she makes a mistake, they assume the absolute worst about her.

There was actually a great comment on the subject:

>"As somebody who doesn’t live in the USA and is therefore not drowning in a morass of racial neuroses, I don’t find anything remotely offensive about Rowling’s description of Native American magic."

I'm going to ask them to marry me /lit/. Wish me luck.
>>
>>7803952
Describe how you know she has no knowledge of Native Americans

List ways in which this negatively affects Native American Lives
>>
>>7804011

Indeed. It's unlikely that she would have written this without conducting some research. Maybe she didn't look in the right places when she did but who's fault is that, the person who published false information or her for taking a published author at their word?
>>
>>7803863
So any and all white musicians who played rock and roll were created by record executives like the boy bands of recent years?
>>
>>7803952

Pretty much this. Tacky is the essential word here. I'm not a big fan of the Potter books but those little articles she posted are particularly crappy.

Least she didn't write about the Wendigo. That's my favorite myth out of all the world's myths. It has so many layers and it's so essentially native-american that I'd have hated if Rowling had shat on it with her magic wizard crap.
>>
>>7803983
>On what planet can the conquered make demands of their conquerors?

on a jewish world
>>
>>7803952
Native Americans are too busy getting drunk on mouthwash to tell their own stories. How is that Rowling's fault?
>>
>>7803952

>The reason why people criticize cultural appropriation is due to colonial history and contemporary power relations.

Gee, Newspeak is fun.

The simple fact, there are only two sides of the coin; Cultural APPROPRIATION and Cultural ISOLATION.

If you don't want the former, you have to have the latter. By all means, I'd be the last person to complain if we started implementing isolationist policies/border controls in the fashion of historical China/Japan/Asia; but I can't see it happening.

The alternative happens organically; people from different cultures interact on a daily basis, which invariably leads to the cultural aspects of some being 'appropriated' from another.

Indeed, the biggest argument that multiculturalists tend to put forward is "muh exotic food/music/etc". We already appropriate these things; why stop there? No real reason, they just want to arbitrarily cherry-pick when the cultural appropriation stops.

>relations of oppression and subordination between white people and Native Americans

Native Americans subordinated one another to a far greater extent than those evil men.

Most died due to the diseases that were unwittingly brought over by settlers. Prior to this, Native American tribes were committing acts of genocide all the time; intentionally so.

>Not only that, but cultural appropriation in this context is supposed to contribute to oppression even further by taking the "voice" of Native peoples away from them

Is anyone stopping them from speaking? Are they gagged? Are they subject to super injunctions?

Given that Hollywood seems to hate white people so much at this present point in time, surely the time is ripe for them to speak?

>This isn't a respectful portrayal of these people that's sensitive to their complex histories and religious beliefs.

They're free to portray however they like. 'Respectful' is completely subjective; and, as we have seen with Tumblrites, they are never satisfied in any case.

Something will always offend.

>It's just a hodge podge of cliches packaged up as a YA fantasy story.

Welcome to every fantasy story ever. Do you think GoT accurately represents the War of the Roses? Do you think it MUST?

You simply want to stifle literary freedom, and no doubt freedom in general.

>For a lot of people, this movie will be one of the only sources of their understanding of Native religious beliefs, and it's being told not by actual Natives, but by a middle aged British woman who writes children's stories.

So you're saying that cultures/etc should ONLY be represented by those whose cultures/etc they are?

White people should be forbidden from writing works of fiction that incorporate Native American elements?

What about Asian authors who want to write works of fiction that incorporate African elements? Is that as bad? I'll presume not, but that's beside to point.

You want to stifle literary freedom, on a racist basis.
>>
File: 46623537.cached.jpg (67 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
46623537.cached.jpg
67 KB, 800x500
>>7803720
>be poor unemployed single mother
>get idea
>write massively successful series of books for children
>see them made into equally successful films
>get rich. really very very rich
>become philanthropist
>support charities around the world
>write books etc specifically for charitable purposes
>use harvard address to tell people to be nice to each other, help poor people etc
>give even more time and money to charity
>win awards for being nice
>be generally decent human being

>incidentally become super hot milf along the way

>write fun article for your own website
>get called out over trivial shit by people who are never going to achieve anything in their whole miserable worthless existence
>>
>>7804078

>the issue is that the "ruling class" is taking over the job of telling the world about who these oppressed people are and what they're like.

The ruling class?

Who? Authors?

Wow, maybe I should start writing books.

Or did you mean...whites?

>When the social representation of a peoples culture isn't created by that culture, but by their oppressors, then we have a problem.

So you think a works of fiction should be racially restricted; right.

>you should at least be able to see how incredibly tacky it is.

Tacky writing is tacky writing. We're done here.
>>
>>7803983
you first faggot

>>7803994
Anime is Japan's nerd culture. Most Japanese look down on it, and it isn't inherent to Japanese identity.
>>
>>7804112

I've been to Tokyo. You can find teens reading anime on the train, or fucking OAPs, and this is not an uncommon occurrence.

It's as ordinary there as watching TV or reading normal books.
>>
>>7804078
>>7804087

This was a good BTFO'ing.

Well done.
>>
If you aren't English, can you stop speaking English please? You're appropriating my culture and i don't like it.
>>
>>7804137

If you're not American, can you get off the internet please?

You're appropriating an American invention and I don't like it.
>>
>>7804112
>has never actually watched anime
>only knowledge of anime comes from memes
>tries to use it as an argument during a serious discussion
>>
File: 1457626522849.gif (87 KB, 1607x2047) Image search: [Google]
1457626522849.gif
87 KB, 1607x2047
>>7803720
Think of those filth-those poor native american, go-guy. Haven't they suffer already by your racist ancestor.
>>
>>7804037
all of this.

My grandparents and cousins are native american. They couldn't give a lesser shit about any of this nonsense.
>>
>>7804139
I cant tell if you're being sarcastic or genuine in response to this other person being sarcastic.
>>
>>7804323
Shit like this ends, if not necessarily begins, with people being offended on behalf of others.

It's exhausting.
>>
>>7803983
>You're complaining about what happens to people when they find themselves upon the losing side of history. Tough shit; the victor makes the rules.

can't stress this enough

history is an account of the winners and the losers and "social justice" is literally just whining about being losers, ressentiment made flesh
>>
File: dfw.jpg (12 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
12 KB, 500x496
>>7803952
>watch children's cartoon that is a mishmash of fantasy themes ripped off of Tolkien's mishmash of themes based mostly on hodgepodge of Romanticist themes of naively idealised Medieval West/England
>"ok"
>watch children's cartoon that is a mishmash of Romanticist-orientalist naive admiration for "the exotic orient" based on 1001 Nights which was itself an Islamo-Persian bastardised idealisation of Persian legendary which was itself a bastardised idealisation of bastardised mishmash of etc.
>"CULTURAL APPROPROIATIN COLONAINSIM AHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHTA IF KIDS WATCH THIS AND GET THEIR IDEAS ABOUT LAZY ENDLESSLY REHASHED MEDIEVAL ISLAMIC FANFICTION FROM IT???? WHAT IF THEY THNK ALL BROWN PEOPL EHAVE FLYING CARPETS?????????????????????????? REMEMBER WHEN JIMMY WATCHED "THE SWORD AND THE STONE" AND STARTED CALLING ALL THE WASPs IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD 'SERFS' AND HURLING JAVELINS AT THEM AND SAYING 'DEUS VULT' IN IN FULL CHAINMAIL ?? FUCK WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO"
>>
>>7803917
If I save this to my computer will my house get bombed?
>>
good, this what she gets for tacking on bullshit like dumbledore being gay, etc AFTER she wrote the books

never try to appease the SJW crowd, they wille eventually turn on you
>>
>It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

>The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
>>
>>7803863
Whites made more interesting rock music than blacks. Sad but true.
>>
>>7804021
>without conducting some research.
>The Magical Congress of the United States of America was established in 1693,
>http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Magical_Congress_of_the_United_States_of_America
>1693
America wasn't even America in 1693. She obviously didn't research.
>>
>>7804973

Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix? Jimi being consistently voted the greatest guitarist of all time by critics?

I think you're the one who needs to get lynched.
>>
>>7803952
>oooh it's very complicated though, there aren't any simple answers there are multiple layers and schools of thought to be considered

shut the fuck up you whiny little shit this is why no one takes your lot seriously

the reason cultural appropriation caught on with lefty activist student types is because you can directly complain about it on twitter and thus look like you're doing actual activism while doing what you were always going to do i.e. fuck all
>>
>>7805305
Except Jimi Hendrix was not a pioneer of rock'n'roll, was massively famous during his time and still is massively famous
>>
>>7803720
>cultural appropriation

You mean exchange of ideas? I swear, the libs just want to destroy civilization.
>>
>>7805411
you took that long to google crib notes? fuck off. you already lost the argument.
>>
>>7805445
Different person man, Jesus calm down
>>
>>7803952
>The issue isn't cultural influence, the issue is that the "ruling class" is taking over the job of telling the world about who these oppressed people are and what they're like.

Heheh, right you are, goy.

Now let me tell the world about how all of your ancestors were racist monsters.
>>
>>7803720

Between Abrahamic religion and Ancient Greek thought the very bedrock of our society in the Western World is built on cultural appropriation.

These people are idiots.
>>
>>7804079
>be poor unemployed single mother
>get an idea
>get very, very lucky
>get very, very rich
>exploit your fanbase to promote feminist agenda, attempt to sway political atmosphere and retcon your works into supporting your personal views
>be a holy being above all cricitism
>>
>>7803952
a whole lot of drivel to say nothing
>>
>>7803952
what dystopian view of reality do you have where white people are mint julep drinking colonialists literally molesting minority cultures?

culture isn't a zero sum game. this is the consequence of diversity and multiculturalism by the way. I have yet to meet any Greeks crying cultural appropriation about Semites borrowing their mythological traditions
>>
>>7804372
And people who spend their time complaining on the internet about SJWs are obviously winners.
>>
>>7806505
the admission of being a loser doesn't change his point. in fact by implying he's a loser you're tacitly agreeing with the conclusion that complainers are losers.
>>
>>7804430
>REMEMBER WHEN JIMMY WATCHED "THE SWORD AND THE STONE" AND STARTED CALLING ALL THE WASPs IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD 'SERFS' AND HURLING JAVELINS AT THEM AND SAYING 'DEUS VULT' IN IN FULL CHAINMAIL ?? FUCK WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO"
I know a guy who for like three years after having seen Braveheart had a thing where he hated the English and even got into a fight with a British tourist.
>>
>>7803863
But black blues and jazz was partly derived from older white folk, and band music. Hell they exclusivly used white invented instruments. No way for it to be completely original like that.
>>
File: image.png (23 KB, 105x122) Image search: [Google]
image.png
23 KB, 105x122
http://nativeappropriations.com/2016/03/magic-in-north-america-part-1-ugh.html
>portray our culture more accurately
>okay, how?
>I can't tell you, it's a secret
>>
>>7806526
>by implying he's a loser you're tacitly agreeing with the conclusion that complainers are losers
No I'm not. People who argue about Star Trek are losers. Saying that does not imply that anyone who argues about something ia a loser.
>>
File: 1457799379262.jpg (31 KB, 551x373) Image search: [Google]
1457799379262.jpg
31 KB, 551x373
>>7806562
Braveheart was a documentary
>>
File: deleuze_and_guttari.gif (991 KB, 370x200) Image search: [Google]
deleuze_and_guttari.gif
991 KB, 370x200
"lol cultural appropriation"

oh yeah, imagine what 4chan would become like if a 4chan movie was release in major theaters every so often
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-cultural_diffusion
>>
>>7803952
This is 10,000x more insightful than the BBC article asking 'what is cultural appropriation?' I read earlier which literally did not mention the idea that power relations are involved.

I can completely understand people criticising the concept, and I'm not sure where I stand on it, but most of what's written about it seems to miss the point by a million miles. Shit's weird.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.