[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good novels set in Vietnam war?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: Tom_Lea_-_2000_Yard_Stare.jpg (396 KB, 1000x1288) Image search: [Google]
Tom_Lea_-_2000_Yard_Stare.jpg
396 KB, 1000x1288
What are some good novels set in Vietnam war?
>>
http://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/i2l/shorttimers.pdf

and its sequel, The Phantom Blooper.
>>
>>5758950
the things they carried
>>
>>5758950
Matterhorn
>>
>>5758950
A bright shining lie
>>
Going After Cacciato

supposedly Dispatches; it's on my shelf but I haven't read it yet. I think it's biographical though so I donno if that's what you want or what
>>
I hear good things about Dispatches
>>
Dispatches by Michael Herr. It pretty much is THE vietnam book. Michael Herr also went on to do the screenplays for full metal jacket and apocalypse now.
>>
>>5758950
Tree of Smoke
>>
File: 9780345331229.gif (12 KB, 116x187) Image search: [Google]
9780345331229.gif
12 KB, 116x187
>>5758950
blew my mind in high school, not sure how it holds up at 28. i'll have to dig in my storage unit to reread it.
>>
the quiet american
>>
>>5759091
>>5759090
>>5759081
This. Dispatchers is the GOAT book on the Vietnam war.
>>
File: dispatches.jpg (51 KB, 495x750) Image search: [Google]
dispatches.jpg
51 KB, 495x750
>>5759417
*Dispatches
>>
>>5759408
Second
>>
I thought Dispatches was journalism, not a novel?
>>
>>5759408
third
>>
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.
>>
>>5759579
>I thought Dispatches was journalism
Sort of; Herr was there as a journalist, submitting articles to various publications, but wrote the book separately, for publication. That's part of why it's so damn good though. It's 'New journalism' - like Wolfe, Thompson, Capote...- but reads like a first-person prose novel.

It's Michael Herr and Errol Flynn's son going on tours with the soldiers, seeing the same action that the soldiers see, but with the troops thinking they're fucking nuts to be there as they're the only ones not forced to be there through the draft. It's hilarious in places, utterly tragic in others, and has a civilians perspective. An amazing piece of literature.
>>
>>5759625
oh ok i see
>>
>>5758950
Matterhorn
>>
>>5759417
how's the prose
>>
>>5759587
>in
>>
increasing the size of your consciousness will necessarily detract from your sense of value. the value of self re-polarizes around the nucleus of a sadly hemorrhaging idea of economic stability. this requires the permission of the super ego, re-evaluating a continuing increase of currency that nonetheless is subject to an infinite amount of inflation. the end of these concupiscent desires, nonetheless, couldn't refuse the temptation of monasticism or asceticism, and this is displayed in the cultures self conscious, ironic, but ultimately caged and inferior art. this art, its authors and its viewers, are eventually crushed by the extroverted, positively charged generation.
>>
File: 5158ZDAQ2XL._SS500_[1].jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
5158ZDAQ2XL._SS500_[1].jpg
53 KB, 500x500
GOAT Vietnam book
>>
>>5759625
>Errol Flynn's son
wow I just read his wiki page. fascinating
>>
>>5760205

is this pasta?
>>
>>5758950
Heart of Darkness
>>
File: dreambaby.jpg (33 KB, 225x346) Image search: [Google]
dreambaby.jpg
33 KB, 225x346
Dream Baby

Great if you're looking for a fictional account with fantastical elements; not so great if you're unwilling to largely suspend your disbelief.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.