[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What percentage of all novels that are written get published?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: please_review_my_novel[1].jpg (310 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
please_review_my_novel[1].jpg
310 KB, 750x500
What percentage of all novels that are written get published?

What percentage of published novels actually get the writer anything more than $6000 per year?
>>
>>7795723
>a small percentage
>a very small percentage
But mind you, most novels are shit or written by crazies. The trick is to write something that isn't shit.
>>
>>7795723
Traditionally published? Very few. But that's because they go off marketing data and hot trends. A lot of users on this board seem younger. If you really want to write and make a living off it, watch/listen to podcasts on writing. Self publishing is a viable option now. There are legit services too that will advertise and review your work. Also podcasts are always looking for new authors to talk to. You could spread your numbers that way.

The day of the old writer who doesn't communicate with the world is gone. You need to be vocal. You need social media. You need to interact to be successful.
>>
>>7795723
An impossible statistic to know - people write novels and do nothing with them.

Better would be to look at the proportion of slush piles that is binned by agents/ publishers. That would be the vast majority.
>>
for the first, there is no way to get those numbers. for traditional publishing, it's a miniscule percentage. but now there's amazon, smashwords, etc where uploading self pub is a few clicks away.

second, i'd increase that $6k limit because midlist authors can make more than that but still have it only as a very supplementary income. the answer would remain "not much"
>>
>>7795772

>LE SELF PUBLISHING ME ME
>>
>>7795792
Self publishing isn't a meme. It's helping to create a middle class of writers. You can support yourself and not be hungry while also not necessarily being world renowned.
>>
how long after self publishing will i become famous
>>
>>7795839
Never, it's glorified failure.
>>
I would have a hard time ever justifying self publishing when I would probably never read something that somebody else self published.
>>
people read harry potter; 50 shades of grey; twilight; girl with dragoon tattoo; hunger games; etc.
and this is what publishers publish. they publish things that they think will sell on the market to the masses.
one must remember that most adults in the usa only read at an 8th grade level. anything beyond that is too complicated for them to comprehend.
>>
>>7795723
6k is a very low bar to set.
>>
>>7796641
$6k is average for an advance which the author may or may not earn out (ie sell that much).
>>
>>7797393
That's what I mean though. It's a piddling amount of money to discuss when it comes to publishing. Who cares about the average author anyway?
>>
>>7797403
while i think i have a shot of my first novel hitting a ny times bestseller list, i also think the world of some books whose authors couldn't find an audience or are getting three-ish stars on goodreads and amazon.
>>
>>7796517
good thing my writing peaked in 8th grade
>>
>>7795807
Do self-publishers have to worry about copyright problems if they add stuff from other media in their books? Like if I wanted to make a novelization based on a movie but change some things, would I have to pay a shitton or even sell the rights to the owners even though they'd never take it because it's too deep for them?
>>
>>7797445
>would I have to pay a shitton or even sell the rights to the owners?
You would either have to accept a cease and desist or see them in court.
>>
>>7797445
>movie novelization
>too deep
>is it ok if i violate copywright?
top wew lad
>>
>>7797445
You mean completely steal a movie?
see >>7797561

If you mean rewrite a story with different characters then no, disney do it all the time.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.