[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Books you enjoyed but never discussed on /lit/ >Title
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: inge.jpg (5 KB, 187x269) Image search: [Google]
inge.jpg
5 KB, 187x269
ITT: Books you enjoyed but never discussed on /lit/

>Title

>Author

>Synopsis in your own words
>>
Blood Oranges by John Hakwes

Basically Lolita with milfs at first glance, but reading again and looking at the authors on views it seems like a very unfortunate metaphor for something entirely different.
>>
Alamut

Vladimir Bartol

A story about a young man (Tahir) in 11th Century Iran who joins the Ismaili resistance at the fortress of Alamut, who are fighting against the Seljuk Empire. Tahir meets the famous Hassan Ibh Sabbah, whom compels Tahir other young boys to serve and train under him as Hashashin.
>>
File: splendiddriver.jpg (24 KB, 260x315) Image search: [Google]
splendiddriver.jpg
24 KB, 260x315
>>7791355
Are you the guy who posted about The Lime Twig yesterday?

>>7791353

>Title
My Son is a Splendid Driver

>Author
William Inge

Autobiographical fiction (200 pages) about the youngest member of a midwestern family and his life from infancy to graduating college with a literature degree. Protagonist is a "beta" sensitive guy who is cucked by his best friend and lives in the shadow of his older brother, who is the title's "splendid driver".
>>
>>7791360
I might add that this was almost certainly one of the main inspirations for the first Assassin's Creed, which tries to emulate through Al Mualim the philosophies of Hassan Ibn Sabbah in the book, using his famous 'Nothing is true, everything is permitted' phrase.

Unfortunately Ubisoft appropriated that phrase to turn into a marketing slogan for their shitty video game franchise, forever staining it, as many sixteen year old think it means 'yeah killing is cool, only us assassins know the creed XD'
>>
>>7791361
>Are you the guy who posted about The Lime Twig yesterday?
Nope, but I definitely plan on reading it soon. I've been working through his shorter works contained in "Lunar Landscapes", pretty good stuff overall.
>>
Against Nature - À Rebours (In French)

J.K - Huysmans

Tells the story of an apathetic man who confines himself away from society. He, then, in is isolated mansion proceed to acquire and perform visual excess trough art, colours, botany and sensual experiences.
>>
>>7791409
That book is posted here all the time.
>>
>>7791411

Posted but not discussed.
>>
>>7791409
It is thrown around a bit, a bit more recently I feel, but never really discussed. A shame, really.

>>7791353
The Seawolf

by Jack London

A young scholar ends up on a ship with a brutal captain who rules the ship like a dictator, but turns out surprisingly intelligent: a self-taught nihilist who sees no value in any life but his own.
>>
>>7791414
Fair enough. I enjoyed it too. I'm halfway through his other novel En Route but his writing style is pretty difficult.
>>
>>7791417
>a self-taught nihilist who sees no value in any life but his own.

Sounds like me minus the wicked sense of humour
>>
File: tobiaswolff.jpg (6 KB, 191x264) Image search: [Google]
tobiaswolff.jpg
6 KB, 191x264
>Title
Old School

>Author
Tobias Wolff

Bildungsroman of sorts about a young working class kid who earns a scholarship to study at an elite boarding school in NE United States. The school welcomes a famous writer each year and one student gets selected to meet them based on a story they've written. Involves appearances by Robert Frost and Ayn Rand in fictional form, and also discusses Hemingway a lot. Short, cozy read with some humorous lines about wanting to be a writer. Reminiscent of Dead Poets Society and Catcher in the Rye's first couple of chapters at Pencey Prep.
>>
File: 1456948616519.jpg (392 KB, 1080x1108) Image search: [Google]
1456948616519.jpg
392 KB, 1080x1108
>>7791353
>>Title
Germinal
>>Author
Emile Zola
>>Synopsis in your own words
A bleak mining town prepares for a strike against the bourgeoisie managers, ends up accomplishing nothing immediate, most people die, objective description of the proletarians being stupid and vulgar and the bourgeoisie being out of touch and effeminate
>>
>>7791422
The thing is that he is obviously set up to be the villain, but his actions are hard to disagree with.
>>
title: the mysterious stranger

author: mark twain

synopsis: an amoral angel (who inspired kaworu from neon genesis evangelion) befriends a poor austrian boy and proves values and religion itself are nothing but spooks. in fact, so-called "reality" is a spook, too!
>>
>>7791355
Greetings, Hawkesposter!
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.