[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/ I need some entry level books to read. I recently finished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: rekt.webm (948 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
rekt.webm
948 KB, 640x361
Hi /lit/

I need some entry level books to read. I recently finished Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut and it was pretty good, not too advanced english either.

tl;dr recommend me some entry level books with not too advanced english

Yes, I've read the wiki already.
>>
>>5493988

The Old Man and the Sea
>>
The Trial
Catcher in the rye
American Psycho
Flowers for Algernon
Fahrenheit 451
>>
>>5494011
The Trial is hard, at least it was for me.
>>
>>5493988
Catch-22, first half rocks too.
>>
>>5493988
Mother Night is best Vonnegut.
>>
I'm willing to bet that OP also wants this book to not rely on knowledge of American culture
>>
File: chocospeedyousnackemperor.png (441 KB, 511x512) Image search: [Google]
chocospeedyousnackemperor.png
441 KB, 511x512
I don't really care, I just like to read. Any knowledge is good knowledge, I guess.

>>5494030
Thank you, I will most certainly read it.

>>5494017
>>5494016
>>5494011
>>5493998

Thanks for your input fellow anon
>>
>>5493988
Where can I find the video of OP's webm? I looked it up but only found "reactions" and news clips/
>>
>>5493988
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Catcher in the Rye
The Great Gatsby
White Noise
The Crying of Lot 49

in slowly ascending difficulty. all entry-level though
>>
File: isisbrainwashing.png (1 MB, 848x980) Image search: [Google]
isisbrainwashing.png
1 MB, 848x980
>>5494252

type "girl gets hit in the head with shovel worldstarhiphop" in google, click the worldstarhiphop link

>>5494257

Added to my list, thanks

To-read list:

The Old Man and the Sea
The Trial
Catcher in the rye
American Psycho
Flowers for Algernon
Fahrenheit 451
Catch-22
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Great Gatsby
White Noise
The Crying of Lot 49

Probably going to take ~7 days to read one book
>>
File: no.png (37 KB, 669x570) Image search: [Google]
no.png
37 KB, 669x570
>>5494326
No, m8. This is bullshit.
>>
Crime and Punishment

It was the first book to really get me into literature, and it's pretty dang accessible, I got through it in a week or so in 9th grade, so I'm sure anyone with basic literacy should be able to.

>>5494326
Your To-Read list is a bit cluttered. I think American Psycho is easily skippable and White Noise and Lot49 might be a bit hard for you.
>>
>>5493988
The video that this Webm from is one of the best things i've seen online
>>
The Stranger is the essential "getting into literature" book.

It's one of the easiest books ever written, it's short and it introduces you to some basic philosophy too. Plus it's just good, really good.
>>
File: gosweden.gif (3 MB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
gosweden.gif
3 MB, 448x336
>>5494336

http://vimeo.com/94545685

Here you go buddy

>>5494338
I've already seen the movie, so I'll switch it out and put Crime and Punishment there instead. I'll probably read it in the future, the book versions tend to be better

>>5494344
Added
>>
>>5494352
Read the Stranger first
>>
>>5494344
don't read this OP, it will turn you off reading. It sucks.

Nasuea is about at the same or just a little higher with difficulty, read that instead.
>>
File: nortonshuttingdownhislaptop.gif (3 MB, 396x170) Image search: [Google]
nortonshuttingdownhislaptop.gif
3 MB, 396x170
>>5494366
>>5494357
>>5494344

I'll just read both of them
>>
>>5494366
>don't read this it sucks
>read the same thing in trickier prose and more pages

What's wrong with you?
>>
>>5494375
Camus and Sartre are proponents of Existentialism. Stranger and Nausea are their respective defining fictions about the topic.

The Stranger is 123 pages long, and written in a sparse stream of consciousness style showing the thoughts of the central sociopath. Philosophy aside, the way this man thinks is fascinating. And it's short. It doesn't overstay it's welcome. And it's subtle. It communicated it's ideas without being too hamfisted until the very end.

Nausea is probably triple the length, plotless and meandering with a main character who overthinks and over verbalizes everything he thinks. It reads like a philosophical doctrine horribly disguised as a fiction and it's prose doesn't translate to english very well.

Read The Stranger, only bother with Nausea if you're really interested in Existentialism.
>>
File: nazinutter.jpg (86 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
nazinutter.jpg
86 KB, 660x440
>>5494394

Thanks, 4chan needs more people like you :^)
>>
>>5494400
Is that sarcasm?
>>
>>5494430
Not OP, but I don't think it was sarcasm. He's on point: 4chan needs more people like you. Meaning, anons that give real advice without trolling, etc.
>>
>>5494376
Everything.
But they are completely different. If you don't see it that way you misunderstood one or possible, and more likely, both.
The prose isn't even that tricky btw.
>>
>>5494394
The ~Stranger overstates its welcome already in the first half where it does that horrible foreshadowing (if I can even call it that, which i don't think i can, it was probably just placed there so the weak author can utilise it in the trial), and all that is massively boring, banal, much too banal.

Sorry the hype this book gets kills me.
>>
>>5494474
I thought it was special untill I read Notes From The Underground.
Once you go Dosto you never go back.
>>
>>5494375
Instead of The Strager I'd suggest The Fall, by favorite Camus work.
>>
Anything by Hemmingway, trust me.
>>
>>5494702
The Fall is Camus' best novel
>>
>>5493988
damn where is that pink shirt girl from? is this what you american calls redneck or hillbilly?
i want to put my penis in that ass
>>
>>5494733
>>5494702
I've never read it. Is it better than The Stranger? I've read The Plague and found it to be a bit dry, but The Stranger flowed beautifully.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.