[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ I need your help, I have gone full pleb. I used to read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: asd.jpg (71 KB, 519x380) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
71 KB, 519x380
/lit/ I need your help, I have gone full pleb.

I used to read a lot, now I have reached a point where I only read a book a month or so. I waste my time with vidya so much. I am installing Ubuntu atm so I can't play anymore, hopefully that will help somewhat.

Any advice for a former-patrician-gone-pleb to recover from severe ADHD brain?

This is not a troll post, genuinely want advice.

Thank you
>>
Get a day planner.

Lunch/dinner aside, I have every day from 12:00-20:00 set aside for being productive; 2 hours for reading, 1 for writing and 2 for learning.

I stick by this 99% of the time; save for shit I genuinely can't help. Makes me wonder how I ever managed to piss days away on 4chan and vidya; now it's like there's not enough time in the day.
>>
File: i.jpg (24 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
24 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like fifteen months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time spamming my message on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>7759379
50-100 is the minimum daily reading if you consider yourself a reader at all. 5 pages is shit. Set a limit of time, not pages that vary in size.

>>7759373
Find a nice spot to read. Preferably in a room away from your computer, and if you must, leave your phone behind as well. I like to use mine as a dictionary, I just can't be bothered flipping through an actual dictionary.
>>
>>7759377
lmao why the fuck are you on here right now then mr monastery
>>
File: shadowott.jpg (457 KB, 1220x2104) Image search: [Google]
shadowott.jpg
457 KB, 1220x2104
If you're like me, it helps to read genre fiction to ramp up into more serious lit or nonfiction, then more genre fiction to cool down.

I'm reading the Shadow of the Torturer right now and it's living up to the memes.
>>
>>7759404
>5 pages is shit.

It's 5 pages more than I read a day.
>>
>>7759407

Because it's my free time, dipshit.
>>
>>7759373
that's simple, read some novel related to the games you played, then expand to other genres, starting with something that has common elements with the novels you've read so far.
>>
>>7759404
the person who wrote that probably reads 400 pages a day by now
>>
>>7759418
>implying
>>
>>7759373
Whatever you do, don't try to get back into books by reading The Satanic Verses or The Illuminatus! trilogy. You'll get pretty damn discouraged lel, go with Dune or some shit.
>>
>>7759412
>Ursula LeGuin recommends something
I couldn't stand Those who Walk Away from Omelas, is all her fiction that overly pretentious and bad in general?
>>
>>7759928
you sound pleb

in the case you're serious leguin is a great author
>>
>>7759928

Funny you say that, because my copy has a blurb from Neil Gaiman on the cover. Gaiman is the worst author I've read whose book I've finished (read Stardust, Neverwhere and American Gods; dropped Anansi Boys and swore him off).

I haven't read Leguin, but I've heard her stuff is for kids.
>>
File: absolutely2016.jpg (265 KB, 763x652) Image search: [Google]
absolutely2016.jpg
265 KB, 763x652
>>7759938
>is an anarchist and SJW
>muh postmodernism
>muh racial identities
>muh feminism

She seems quite degenerate and that phase of my life is over, I think I'll pass.
>>
I think the worst thing about technology is the urge to just do nothing but stay updated and waste your time doing just that

just remember that you're literally missing nothing by not playing or checking social media or whatever and it's probably better in the end to read rather than check your facebook or get that achivement on fallout 45 or whatever
>>
>>7759373
nah
>>
>>7759373

So? People change as they age.
>>
Go out to read, I almost never read at home anymore because I've been conditioned to correlating my room with my PC.
>>
>>7760074
>just remember that you're literally missing nothing by not playing or checking social media or whatever and it's probably better in the end to read rather than check your facebook or get that achivement on fallout 45 or whatever
More relevantly, don't check all the threads you post in.
>>
>>7759916
Ironically enough i just got back into reading with the Satanic Verses. This isn't a brag or anything, I wouldn't consider myself of a particularly amazing reading level but i found all of it very compelling.
>>
>>7759986
I love how stupid you are lol, and you're proud of it.
>>
>>7759377
What the hell do you do for a living?
>>
>>7760074
>I think the worst thing about technology is the urge to just do nothing but stay updated and waste your time doing just that

It's not the worst thing about technology, but I agree it's terrible. All these pinned threads I have on clover... Just waiting for a red notification. It's pathetic but I can't stop.
>>
>>7760074
>>7760275
This is why I do this >>7760115
>>
>>7759373
I know that feel anon. I haven't ready anything in the past two months. I've been writing a lot more than usual, but my reading progress has stopped

after reading a book a week from late may to early december I just got so tired of reading. So much of it was garbage and and only the first few books stuck with me (The Golem and the Jinni, The Grace of Kings, Fevre Dream, the Night Circus). I was starting to just lose interest.
>>
>>7759418
kekd
>>
>>7759377
Follow this dudes advice. Get a day planner.

I'm feeling the same as him- not enough time in the day.
I write 4 pages a day, or 4 hours a day- whatever comes first.
2 hours of foreign language practice.
2-3 hours reading.
Work out 30-40 min.
Meditate.
Stop jerking off.
>>
>>7760184
I'm not the guy you asked, but live a similar lifestyle.
I work seasonally as a commercial fisherman.
>>
>>7759986
>>muh postmodernism
jesus christ
>>
>>7760653
romantic <3
>>
>>7760178
Her ideals are as flawed and childish as her writing. How, pray tell, does realizing that makes me an idiot?
>>
>>7760855
Dude, she's a well respected author and the Hainish cycle is worth reading.

You can't just say wild accusatory things then expect people to care, you're clearly ignorant.
>>
>>7759373
I began reading right before going to bed. It helps you calm down, get used to reading and to widen your attention span. Now I read when I come home from work and during my break.
>>
File: 1455611504567.jpg (53 KB, 460x307) Image search: [Google]
1455611504567.jpg
53 KB, 460x307
>>7759373

>Any advice for a former-patrician-gone-pleb to recover from severe ADHD brain?

A good first step would be to stop taking this meme culture so seriously.
>>
>>7759986

>and that phase of my life is over
he says as he takes up the equally embarrassing "/pol/ phase". nice 1.
>>
File: 1450499306614.jpg (58 KB, 1417x1134) Image search: [Google]
1450499306614.jpg
58 KB, 1417x1134
>>7759986

And? I was interested in reading Celine but I'm not an anti-semitic fascist. Is this you "matured" now? You choose to stay in a little ideological bubble and lock yourself off from anything that might trigger you?

You're as intellectually immature as your typical SJW.
>>
>>7759379
this is unironicaly one of my favorite pastas
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.