[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was a senior in highschool and just beyond babbon tier brain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (350 KB, 1536x1016) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350 KB, 1536x1016
So I was a senior in highschool and just beyond babbon tier brain function. I was scheduled to take an AP literature class and was very excited. Supposedly we were going to read books and short stories, write about it and throw in a little discussion. This sounded wonderful to me. The problem is, once we read the story the teacher would TELL US WHAT IT MEANT and have us write our papers based on what SHE SAID IT MEANT. This pissed the never-ending hell out of me especially since our grade would be lowered on essays if we did not agree on the meaning. Her seasoning was "I am getting my masters in literature, and for that reason have a stronger grasp on the intentions of these authors." It didnt even matter how many quotes and how thoroughly you could support an interpretation, hers was right. It would honestly have been a pleasure if she came across as a bright mind with bright ideas, but instead she seemed insecure about her actual knowledge of the field and was trying to fight her own insecurities and seemed to belong in gender studies with her interpretations always being based around sexism against women. Help me.
>>
>>7743704
Sounds like you need to grow up and be more assertive. Furthermore, you have not yet matured to the point where you have learned to function in an institution.

1. Give your boss, teacher, or professor what they want how they want it.
2. Self motivate and educate in your own time or during allowed discussion groups.
3. Repeat as you acquire merit and awards.
4. Attain scholarship or promotion, or resume fodder leave institutional constraints for better situation.

Stop being a child.
>>
File: babyplz.jpg (92 KB, 879x433) Image search: [Google]
babyplz.jpg
92 KB, 879x433
>>7743704
quit being such a bitch. just admit to yourself that you aren't some god-tier student and sometimes you are wrong. plain and simple. wrong. that's why in the beginning of some books, dubliners for instance, there will be an introduction to help guide you through the novel. no one expects you to get 100% on the first read through, but if you do, whoop de doo. congratz. you've gotten better at reading a book.

And as far as your teacher, she is just another thing you'll have to cope with. that's the way some people are. is it great? no. but deal with it and try to get through your course as best as you can. you're only really hurting yourself in this matter. worry about your own interpretations when it doesn't matter, like right now on this very board, where you could be creating a worth while post instead of that shit.
>>
>>7743712
I did all of those things. that entire list was what I did when I saw what sort of teacher I had.
>>
>>7743757
>implying that one can objectively "right" in an interpretation of literature.
>implying franz kavka and edgar allen po told my teacher what their shit meant
I know I had to cope with the teacher to be an adult, but shes still a piece of shit
>>
>>7743815
just stick with the general consensus when it comes allegorical, metaphorical, etceteretorical writings. Hell, use google if you want. Nabokov himself tries to stay away from that stuff since you can take that shit the moon and back.
>>
>>7743854
I will bow, thank you
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.