[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I discipline myself to write more? I've tried to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1439417076583.png (2 KB, 782x543) Image search: [Google]
1439417076583.png
2 KB, 782x543
How can I discipline myself to write more? I've tried to do daily exercises but I usually forget/give up after about 4 days. I know I'm not supposed to wait for inspiration but still.
>>
>>7742014

If you really have to struggle, you're just not a writer. Keep it a fun hobby to do when you feel like it, but you can never make it you're actual living if you're this uninterested in it.
>>
>>7742019
so the only way to get better is to strive towards making a living off writing? seems like a selfish way to view the craft
>>
>>7742051
That's not what he said. He said writing should be fun not a chore. It's not your homework it's your passion. You can hone someone, and help them think about structure and developing a style by finding a voice that is their own, but you can't make someone write more. Think about it for longer than 30 seconds, and realise if someone is forcing you to write you aren't a writer you're a slave.

If you're forcing yourself to write, you're a slave to yourself, and your ideas of what you want to be, but can never live up to.

It's pretty easy to write more. You write more. You get stronger by lifting more. You get faster by running more. You become a writer by writing more.

Being good is a completely separate discussion. I would say write first, worry about the other things later. But it sounds like you're not really a writer, just a kid trying to buy a dream nobody is selling.
>>
>>7742019
>>7742100
>If it's challenging, then it's not for you.
Said no one who's successful ever.

Besides, there are plenty of things I didn't like at first, but then grew to love, math for example.
>>
>>7742214
The thing is that I really don't care to be successful. I'm not writing for anyone but myself and I'm certainly not trying to do it to make money.
>>
>>7742214
Why would you write if you don't have the desire to say something? Because you want to be a writer, not to write. You want to be part of something and validate yourself; you dont have really anything meaningful to say.
>>
>>7742014
Write a page a day. Eventually something will come up that interests you. It doesn't really matter if it's fiction or not, just put something on the page. I've found that my best ideas, funniest jokes, and most aesthetic prose has come out of just flowing while I'm doing it. I used to get so anxious that all of my million dollar ideas were escaping while I was just doing nothing or random stuff and be wasted and forgotten when I go down to write, but it turns out im wrong. Just write shit, it will be bad and random just do it. Its not always fun, most if of the time it's not, but once you get sonething you like it's so rewarding.
>>
>>7742214
You can love something you're fucking terrible at. It happens all the time. Liking something has very little to do with your aptitude for it. You just have to be a super masochist to do something for so long until you become great at it, then still hate it, after all that time you've invested.

See there's a difference between learning mathematics (where you are) and doing mathematics (where you will be 5 years after your PhD and you've been published a dozen times). And there's a difference between learning writing (just writing for yourself and for fun) and being an author (where you will be 5 years after your first major novel and you've been published at all).

If the first one is "challenging", it's not so much that it is difficult, because it really isn't objectively, it's more that you lack the skills, passion, determination, to reach a level where it actually gets difficult.

Well if you can't get past the first level and are already asking for the cheat codes, guess what. You aren't going anywhere. Especially not when you live in the real world, where you're competing who have been doing this since they were able to walk and talk and it's all the do and love it with such passion you couldn't understand let alone justify in yourself and anything you do.

This is where you don't actually read what I wrote, and focus on one small detail and try to narrow it all down on that, because my general tone is too caustic for your valley girl sensibilities.

Wait you already did that >>7742214 nevermind.
>>
>>7742257
Things can grow on people. Just because someone doesn't like something at first or they might have difficulty with it doesn't mean they won't ever enjoy it or be talented at it. Someone giving up on something before they've done it enough times to realize that it is or isn't for them isn't (imo) the correct way to accomplish goals. There is a stopping point, a point when a person should move on to something else, but I don't think it's at the first step.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.