[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /lit/ I won't even try to act as if this isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
hey /lit/

I won't even try to act as if this isn't for a paper, because it is. I am writing on jealousy and I found a perfect quote from Nietzsche - problem is I can't really explain it well.

can anyone tell me what Nietzsche's thoughts on jealousy are? any general info to "beyond good and evil?"

deadline is due to today, so yeah i'm fucked
>>
whats the quote?

also try >>>/hm/ for homework help
>>
He doesn't like it.

beyond good and evil is the view of originality creation of new "philosopher" but jealousy is the calling back unto already-is, jealousy therefore is inherently anti-beyond-good-and-evil

there i did your hw
>>
>>7738130
He doesn't like it? LOL.
You haven't read Nietzsche.

He doesn't really talk about jealousy. More about envy. But let's assume they are the same thing.

He says basically that envy is good because it makes you want to be a better you.

You want something someone else has because it makes that other person seem better than you.

So when you get that thing that makes the other person seem better than you, you have improved yourself.

Don't listen to >>7738130, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
>>7738117

I only have it in German so that won't help you, but

Eifersucht und Neid sind die Schamteile der menschlichen Seele

>>7738130

>beyond good and evil is the view of originality creation of new "philosopher" but jealousy is the calling back unto already-is, jealousy therefore is inherently anti-beyond-good-and-evil

thanks, very helpful

>>7738189

they aren't the same thing tho

how would you explain a quote like this then

"Surrounded by the flames of jealousy, the jealous one winds up, like the scorpion, turning the poisoned sting against himself"

clearly he thinks jealousy is self-defeating and destructive, no?
>>
>>7738189
no he doesn't like it

Nietzsche uses envy and jealous correctly

to be jealous is the fear of losing something you already have, to be envious is to want some thing someone have
>>
>>7738267
That's a superficial reading of the quote, yes.

"Behold, how each of your virtues covets the highest place; each wants your whole spirit that it might become her herald, each wants your whole strength, in wrath, hatred, and love.

Each virtue is jealous of the others, and jealousy is a dreadful thing. Virtues too can perish of jealousy.

Surrounded by flames of jealousy, the jealous one winds up, like the scorpion, turning the poisoned sting against himself.

Ah, my brother, have you never seen a virtue backbite and stab itself?

Man is something that has to be overcome: and therefore you will love your virtues,--for you will perish of them.

Thus spoke Zarathustra"

That's the context of that quote.

Now you can argue that he says jealousy is a bad thing, but he says the exact same thing about virtues.

"Ah, my brother, have you never seen a virtue backbite and stab itself?"

Replace virtue with jealousy and you have the exact same thing.

So does he regard jealousy as a virtue? Or virtues as a bad thing?

Or both?

And does it matter either way?
>>
>>7738305
>to be jealous is the fear of losing something you already have, to be envious is to want some thing someone have

Then explain this:

"Behold, how each of your virtues covets the highest place; each wants your whole spirit that it might become her herald, each wants your whole strength, in wrath, hatred, and love.
Each virtue is jealous of the others, and jealousy is a dreadful thing. Virtues too can perish of jealousy."

Sounds like he uses jealousy as if it was envy.
If you ask me, it's just a bad translation. Nietzsche meant envy, translator made it jealousy.
>>
>>7738339
nietzche's virtues are entirely individualistic that is he doesn't believe in a universal definition of virtue

the virtues of the individual are envious of each other because they are all trying to attain the highest place within

thus the outwardly jealousy is the comparison of the individual to the universal, that is why he doesn't mention it often
>>
>>7738358
"My brother, are war and battle evil? Necessary, however, is the evil; necessary are the envy and the distrust and the back-biting among the virtues."

-Thus Spake Zarathustra
>>
>>7738395
He sees jealousy/envy as necessary evil.
>>
>>7738328

I see where you're coming from, the quote definitely does sound diff in context

good thing the people that'll grade me dk shit about freddy (much like me)

>>7738358

tx for the clarification, I, too was very unsure about nietzsche's terms

>the virtues of the individual are envious of each other because they are all trying to attain the highest place within

this to me sounds a lot like aristotle and the chariot allegory

does N comment on chipotle often?
>>
>>7738398
Inescapable even.
>>
by the way thanks for the great thread, I honestly haven't seen civil discussion like this in months (I rarely come to chan in general anymore)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.