[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who thinks there should be more insight into this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 457x648) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 457x648
Am I the only one who thinks there should be more insight into this?
>>
>muh Beatrice
>>
>tryhard novelist tries so hard it breaks the speed of tryhard
>>
Well, the general idea Handler was going for included mysteries without answers, loads of obscured connections, unresolved plot lines... The idea that a story can never truly having an ending. Although I think the thematic experiment was lost on the target audience.

What was the sugar bowl?
>>
>>5418921
>mysteries without answers, loads of obscured connections, unresolved plot lines
In other words, he was trying to copy Kafka.

Spoiler: Kafka did it better
>>
>>5417771
Read the serie when I was 8, really loved it, I read the twelth book and never read the end, I'm 21 and still don't know why. Should I pick it up? I have such a good memory of it, I'm afraid to be disappointed now that I'm older.
>>
>>5418936
Kafka? You chose Kafka over Pynchon in the mysteries without answers/obscured connections/unresolved plot lines categories?
>>
File: 1405204786140.jpg (127 KB, 600x682) Image search: [Google]
1405204786140.jpg
127 KB, 600x682
>>5418945

It has a different feel then the other books, kind of a fatalistic and actually depressing element to it. I thought it was interesting and vaguely satisfying of an ending, but that's a hotly contested question.
>>
>>5418936

You mean he made a 13 book series out of The Crying of Lot 49?
>>
Insight in what way?

Overall, I thought The End was satisfying: similar to >>5418945, I had access to it early on but didn't get to it until much later. It ramps up the symbolic nature of the series to a high degree, while still giving us a look at the central four characters (the children and Olaf).

Speaking of this series, this is yet another personal reminder to check out All The Wrong Questions.
>>
File: sweating man.png (142 KB, 415x367) Image search: [Google]
sweating man.png
142 KB, 415x367
>"Oh yes we can!" Shirley said, in her silly high voice, and grabbed Violet's arm. Foreman Flacutono quickly grabbed her other arm, and the eldest Baudelaire found herself trapped.
>"Klaus!" Violet cried, struggling in the grips of Shirley and Foreman Flacutono. "Do something!"
>"Your brother can't do anything!" Shirley said, giggling in a most annoying way. "He's just been unhypnotized—he's too dazed to do anything. Foreman Flacutono, let's both pull! We can make Violet's armpits sore that way!"
>Shirley was right about Violet's sore armpits,
>>
>>5419424

In context that scene was hype as fuck, get out of here with that bad writing towelman maymay
>>
I had some sort of Don Quixote complex and used to be convinced that these books were true when I was little.
>>
>>5419453
>bad writing towelman maymay

what the fuck are you even talking about

towelman has nothing to do with bad writing you autist
>>
>>5419570

Just how new are you?

Go to any GoT thread and he's invariably posted to spam the diarrhea focused "GoT a shit" copypasta.
>>
>>5419602
>calls others new
>thinks the towelman meme has anything to do with Game of Shits or bad writing

cannot stop laughing
>>
>>5419615

>2014
>Implying towelman meme can be used unironically

War has changed, anon.
>>
>been on 4chan for several years
>just now realize it's a towel and not a ribbon

I always thought it was a guy who just ran a marathon and was dabbing at his sweat with a fucking award.
>>
>>5419453
>>5419570
>>5419602
>>5419615
>>5419631
great exchange here

top notch banter
>>
>>5419842
wait

what

you seriously thought "le_sweating_man.jpg" was using anything other than a towel?
>>
File: award_ribbon_red.png (674 KB, 3717x5809) Image search: [Google]
award_ribbon_red.png
674 KB, 3717x5809
>>5419860
>>
File: le sweating man.jpg (25 KB, 301x296) Image search: [Google]
le sweating man.jpg
25 KB, 301x296
>>5419865
>>5419842
invest in some corrective eyewear
>>
>>5419875

I wish the problem were shitty eyes rather than a shitty brain m8.

Welp, I'm off to contemplate suicide. Cya!
>>
>>5419846

eh, I r8 7/8.
>>
Good children series. I learned words like "xenophobic" and "penultimate" by reading these books.
>>
>>5419957
>>5419957
>mfw people think penultimate means 'very ultimate'
jesus christ
>>
reminder that you will never know the true meaning of the great unknown
>>
File: ohgod.png (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ohgod.png
14 KB, 300x300
>>5420064

>implying that wasn't aSoUE's green light
>>
File: 1407940573978.gif (1017 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1407940573978.gif
1017 KB, 480x270
>>5420237

>Believing in symbolism

Why can't an author just put in a nice piece of imagery without everyone sperging out and claiming it represents money, fear, or the negative impacts of colonialism with respect to the Panama canal?
>>
How's that second series that focuses on Snicket's role in VFD? I read the first one back when it came out and while it wasn't terrible, I felt like he was trying to cash back in on the series for a quick buck.

Also,
>tfw this could make a god-tier movie series but it is forever ruined by that dogshit film with Jim fucking Carey and Olaf.
Fuck it all.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (29 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
29 KB, 396x400
>>5420347

Fuck no it couldn't be a good series for film.

Film audiences demand closure and a clean and simple plot structure which can carry a story for an hour and a half without narration or background exposition. Unfortunate Events offers none of the above.

It's also wholly unfit for production. Most of the humor you enjoy from the series is from a sardonic third party playing with words and the narrative; the actual action is rather simple and unfit for actual film production.

It's stupid to try, too. Historically, except maybe for "The Grapes of Wrath" there has never been a "sad and cynical story forced into the happy ending box where the movie came out watchable.

Prove me wrong, il/lit/erates.
>>
>>5420386
As a popular series, sure it'd be terrible. As evidenced by the attempt starring Jim Carey. I could (and probably most of lit) handle a story without closure, maybe even a popular audience could since the books were pretty fucking popular. I will concede the fact that a lot of the humor and plot is driven by a narrator who both took part in the backstory and adds to the present story through his sarcastic remarks.

I dunno, I guess I'm venting frustration over the blue-balls the actual film gave me since it was so shitty and I was hyped as fuck for it when it came out.
>>
File: 1394452707109.jpg (38 KB, 240x300) Image search: [Google]
1394452707109.jpg
38 KB, 240x300
>>5420409
>Watched film on payperview with parents because I was hyped as fuck and we couldn't make it in theaters.
>Somewhat disappointed but hopeful they could turn it around
>Dad's first comment after forcing him to watch the whole thing because of my hype:
>Okay film. It's never getting a sequel though."
>"Sorry little man."
>tfw
>>
>am i the only one

why do people start threads this way

i hate it
>>
TCoL49 for kiddies

tell me otherwise
>>
>>5420448

Sans that the title's

>There should be more insight into this

As originally posted, it encourages responses beyond "yeah."
>>
>>5419996
>mfw I had an argument with someone about this and they kept insisting they were right even after I explained the etymology to them and showed them a dictionary definition
>>
>>5420347
I thought the movie was alright even though it didn't follow the plot of the books that closely.
>>
>>5418945
The End was so sad :(
>>
File: waaaaat.gif (835 KB, 280x189) Image search: [Google]
waaaaat.gif
835 KB, 280x189
>>5420524

>"I see what you're doing, sign it in your OTHER hand, please."
>>
>>5420539
That was a curveball for people who had read the books and thought they knew what was gonna happen.
>>
>>5420450
it's better than TCoL49
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=X_9u5JFwYZ4
>>
>>5420450
yes, in an extremely complimentary way
>>
>>5420444
LMFAO LITERALLY MY SIDES
DAD WAS RIGHT LITTLE MAN
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.