[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All Criticism welcome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: beard-1.jpg (98 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
beard-1.jpg
98 KB, 600x476
We live in ridiculous times.

He glanced up at me from the screen. He was in deep. Gone were the days when your friends might at least have bad habits that seemed outwardly cool. A cocain addiction. A cigarette hanging limply between two fingers, or behind the ear waiting to be reached. No, like most others he was simply not really here. Not really there. He didn’t exist in the three dimensional space that I did. No, he occupied a 3G space. Probably he had wet dreams about one day being able to afford to suckle from the sweet tit of an iphone.
“Mmm…yeah?”, he said, looking up from the screen, eyes as glazed as its sheen coating. “Yeah, that might be cool.” He looked unhealthy. His palid colour could have been from its glow or from his hours of staring into it. It was impossible to tell.
I had asked him to come on a “quad date”. That was a term we had coined for four of us (J and G, as well as I and him) taking four girls out at the same time, to the same place without letting any of them in on it. His being on his phone at the minute was of course to use a dating app; I could see his thumbs swipe in the tell-tale way. And yet he exhibited little interest in the prospect of actually meeting them. This irked me, but was in no way surprising.
When he glanced back down I slipped my hand into my pocket and stroked its cool surface. I took a sick pleasure in him not knowing I had it. I knew it was wrong, but I was much too far gone now.
“Yeman, come on. It’ll be hilarious.”
He looked a little annoyed now that I had interrupted him again, but hid it behind a smile. “Yeah, alright dude. I’ll talk to you about it later, I better be getting back to class”. He got up from the bench, and after stretching out an arm for a fist bump he said what I knew he would:

“Just a quick one for the gram man, yeah?”
It had all pointed to this. Why would we go to the park on a day like today if we couldn’t show the world? Why would he have spent those extra five minutes combing his hair back and tying it neatly into a manbun if he couldn’t show the audience?
He had his beard neatly trimmed, and his thick-rimmed glasses donned like a perfect intellectual. If I were Medusa and turned him now he wouldn’t look out of place beside Socrates or any other great thinker.
He leaned in, and I could smell his shit. His thick scent of pure bullshit, and I abhorred it. I abhorred him.
Inside my pocket I pressed my finger on the little button, relishing the feel of it submission to my will.
He posed a little longer leaning into me, arm now over my shoulder. We both smiled, his that fake smirk I knew so well, and mine for once totally genuine. Pure delight lit my face, as I looked at the camera at the end of his outstretched arm.
“Haha, sound man!”, he chuckled. “Ahh, shit no-“

“Connection.” I finished for him. He looked at me a little unnerved at my quickness. “Because I blocked the signal, you little slug”, I thought.
>>
Hey guys, here's just a short sample of an idea I'm working on. Any and all criticism is welcome.

The first part is trying to mimic the way America Psycho so effectively mimicked an awful culture. But, I'm thinking, instead of making the main character a psychotic killer - why not have him behave normally and have everyone respond to him as such. That seems more common these days. But this led me at the crux of my problem. What is the opposite of the awful vanity we see today that he can indulge in that would be exciting to read? In the extract he just jams a signal because I was drawing a blank.

Thanks in advance and enjoy (hopefully)!
>>
>>7735800
>>7735804
>>7735804
I like your writing style OP. There's still lots to work on, but you have an eye for details and symbolic language.

As to your question, what do you think. It's something that would be the opposite of vanity, right? What about honesty? Indulging in honesty would be kind of interesting. I'm also half worried that I did not even understand your question, though. Would you be willing to rephrase it?
>>
>>7735844
Hey, thanks. Greatly appreciated.

Yeah, that would be interesting. I want to make it as grotesque and shocking as (have you read/seen American Psycho?), to sort of drive the plot, because really I just want to lampoon all the horrible douchebags I know.

I think you understood me. I'm just sleepy as fuck. But to maybe clarify; I want to create the idea of his being social/normal as being seen as odd/disgusting by the vain characters surrounding him...

To be honest I just like writing and haven't got a fleshed out plot at all. I like your idea of him just indulging in honesty!
>>
>>7735937
Keep writing, OP. You'll flesh out the plot as you go. You need a foundation. I've seen the movie, but was never really interested in reading the book unfortunately. You could make them all react to honesty as vulgar. A few things come the mind there: dating apps are people putting their best (if not typical) faces forward, pictures in general can be repeated several times until the desired perspective is achieved, and something you've already got a hint of: the celebrity of the average individual. I like what you said about the blue light in his face, you need more like that--the mixing of genuine and artificial.

Definitely a lot of themes you could play with here, friendo. Good luck.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.