[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to begin with Thomas Mann?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: mann_thomas.jpg (286 KB, 900x946) Image search: [Google]
mann_thomas.jpg
286 KB, 900x946
I've heard Buddenbrooks is a good start. I really want to dive into his work, he seems pretty interesting.
>>
>>7733703
ffffucking read book bitch
>>
go for it. they're separate novels. it doesn't matter.
>>
buddenbrooks and/or death in venice.

take a detour with tonio kroger if you like death in venice.

then go magic mountain -> doctor faustus - >joseph and his brothers

his shorter stuff can be sprinkled in where you want depending on interest. mario the magician is a personal favorite, and i think it works well to read it right before doctor faustus.

after that you can explore his other stuff as you see fit. holy sinner and black swan are a bit "out there" and very much involved in mann's particular interests, and felix krull is cool but unfinished
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7733877
you should probably read goethe's faust before doctor faustus, and to read goethe's faust you need to go super deep into the greeks and/or have a shitton of annotations and notes desu

know genesis (specifically jacob/joseph stories) really well for joseph and his brothers
>>
He considered Joseph and his brothers his Magnum Opus.

Buddenbrooks was cited for his Nobel.

Magic Mountain is probably his most popular.

No wrong place to start. All are classics.
>>
>>7733897
note that he got his nobel before he wrote magic mountain/joseph/faustus

faustus came after joseph and im of the opinion that's his magnum opus more than joseph. but i could be biased due to subject matter (classical music/art vs. genesis)
>>
I've read most of his works. My favourite is "The Holy Sinner". "Buddenbrooks" is also a suberp work and you can enjoy his short story collections.
>>
Mann, Thomas. Dislike him. Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.