[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the European migrant crisis produced any good literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1455981314265.jpg (66 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1455981314265.jpg
66 KB, 800x600
Has the European migrant crisis produced any good literature?

Does "Submission" by Houellebecq tackle any themes related to the crisis, or is it basically just "dude muslims are savages lmao" ?
>>
Why don't you read it and find out?
>>
If by the 'migrant crisis' you mean the recent influx of Syrians into Europe as a result of their civil war, then Submission preceded that by a few years. It does however deal with the increasing diversification of westernized societies, particularly with respect to the increasing Islamification of France. It makes some interesting predictions about what might happen (albeit slightly over-the-top and satirical) and particularly about why it might happen. I didn't read it as being anti-Muslim at all - from what I understand Houellebecq is essentially playing devil's advocate and saying that liberal western individualism will be responsible for its own downfall, and that Islam will fill the spiritual void in Europe. It's a challenge to atheists to justify their (lack of faith) when it only makes society more miserable, and a challenge to Christians who have seen their faith become increasingly worthless.

That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong. As the other anon says, you should read it. It's a fairly light read and an enjoyable one.
>>
>>7730569
>>7730852
It's basically retardation.
>Migrant crisis

Is the CIA acting like a dick again?
>>
You can look forward to a new Mein Kampf being released when European nationalists go full racial cleansing
>>
Anything by Nigel Farage to be honest family.
>>
File: 1333094789447.gif (3 MB, 255x191) Image search: [Google]
1333094789447.gif
3 MB, 255x191
>>7730852
>Islamification
>implying this is a thing
>>
hot hot buzzwords everywhere
>>
>>7730852
I dunno about "Islamification" dude. I feel like the religion probably loses more adherents in the West than it gains. The increase of population solely coming from immigration.
>>
>>7730569
Haneke is making a film. Don't know about any good books though.
>>
>>7730569
The book is like 120 pages, you can finish it in a long bath. If anything it is far more critical of the bankruptcy of secular western liberalism than the Muslims, who in Soumission have their shit together pretty tight, and who are lead by a charismatic republican genius.

The only thing that keeps it from becoming pure genre fiction-alt history is the fact that the story revolves around this pathetic middle-aged professor who completely misses the direction his country is turning (due to his focus on fucking his students, arguing about tenure, and eating reheated indian food) until it is way too late.
>>
File: giphy.gif (3 MB, 640x357) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3 MB, 640x357
>mfw /pol/ types see Soumission as some kind of Turner Diaries warning against "Islamification"

The society that comes out of the events in Submission is a highly traditional return to past values and patriarchy, where liberal arts educated white males are treated with deference and given multiple post-adolescent girls as wives. Its a fucking heaven for the typical /pol/ type.
>>
>>7733545
>>7733556
By Islamification I was simply talking about a greater percentage of the population becoming Muslim, which is definitely a 'thing'. It also is the result of immigration rather than westerners converting (having said that I do live in an area of the UK which has fairly high levels of Asian immigration, and it's not uncommon for me to see white women in hijabs and things like that), but I think that's besides the point here.

My interpretation of it was that Houellebecq believes that secular liberal individualism is killing itself - as atheism increases and national identity decreases more people find that they have no higher purpose in life, as divorce becomes more common and relationships become more superficial, social support structures like the family become increasingly irrelevant. The price that westerners paid for their freedom (from religion, from state dogma, etc) was that they live increasingly lonely and meaningless lives. So something has to change, and with Islam becoming increasingly influential in Europe and Christianity becoming increasingly impotent, he predicts that Islam will be the force to sweep over France and restore these necessary social factors for a happy life. He's not saying that's a good thing, but posing it as a challenge to liberals who believe their secular society is superior.

That's what I got from it anyway. If it turns out that I'm a pleb and that's complete bullshit, please disregard all of the above.
>>
>>7733569
I remember that when it first came out some /pol/tards on /lit/ actually started to (semi-seriously) consider embracing Islam.
>>
>>7733631
Islam will be a mayfly like New Age and Buddhism, if that's what you're referring to.

Some white middle class women will convert and then their kids will go out and drink and listen to house like every other teen.
>>
>>7733640
Yeah I don't necessarily think it has any value in terms of actually predicting the future, I genuinely don't think any western countries will be religious in 50 years time. For better or for worse religion is dying. I do think he has some valid points about the consequences of an irrilegious society though, and it's up to western countries to evolve and find solutions for this, or pay the price.
>>
>>7733631
>He's not saying that's a good thing,
"And I will have NOTHING to mourn"
>>
>>7733647
you gotta differenciate loss of religion and loss of spirituality.
Take the average christposter. Most of them are ironical, and if they aren't they are so unconsciously.
They don't find haven IN religion, they find haven FROM the materialistic/capitalist/wageslave world. As one poster once said on here: they want to worship for worship's sake, because no one else does it around them, and on an intellectual level. Most born-christians I've talked to don't really understand converts.

Now people are going to be spiritual about other things: I remember seeing a survey where in France more young people than old people believed in gypsy shit, the moon and uranus aligning to help you get a boyfriend, charms, curses, seers: socially acceptable religion. Very female, social media, centered around (You).
>inb4 sources
I'm not out to convince you 100% because this is a sociologic issue and also 4chan. This is a lead.
>>
>>7733672
I don't think the character's voice is Houllebecq's own opinion. He's presented as the consequence of this western individualism - an utterly miserable man from a broken home who can't form lasting relationships or take joy in anything he does. So his decision at the end of the book reflects the decision for France and western countries as a whole.

>>7733676
It's true that you need to differentiate between loss of religion and loss of spirituality, but I think Houellebecq is saying that people in the west have lost both. As I said above, I think the main character is the consequence of this loss of spirituality, though taken to extremes with his pretty severe existential depression. I don't know if that actually reflects how the majority of people in the west feel or if they do find spirituality in other sources, but it reflects how I feel (as a non-religious semi-liberal) which is why I found the book so interesting. It definitely challenged some of my ideas and made me see the purpose of religion from a different perspective.
>>
My diary to be honest family.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.