[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever read this? If so, is it any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Has anyone ever read this? If so, is it any good?
>>
>>7721323
Yeah I read it in high school and it was pretty relatable. Its pretty good and it will make you feel like a teenager again assuming you arent one now.
>>
It's good at articulating the sort of fears sensitive teenagers experience. Their prejudices, insecurities, romantic desires, need for validation and tendency to view themselves as persecuted individuals. Like pretty much all books written for teenagers almost every character has something extremely depressing about their lives which justifies their being viewed as victims deserving of love (rape, spousal abuse, homophobia etc) which sort of undermines it a little, but still it's a cute book and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it when I first read it. It's not /lit/ though.
>>
Read it when I was 25ish. I'm sure I would have liked it if I read it in 9th grade or so.
>>
>>7721323
I remember sending it up at my friend's 17th birthday party after a few drinks. If I remember rightly, the prose was pretty standard for YA stuff.

Nothing worth spending money on unless you have to for school or something.
>>
Liked it a lot more than I expected. I wish I'd read it before the movie came out, so I wouldn't have had images of all the conventionally attractive actors in my head or had to witness a bunch of high schoolers try and be artsy alternative kids who like the Smiths.
>>
I had a boring time as a teenager.
I didn't get to experience adolescent love, close friendship and shenanigans, or anything of that sort.I just sat by myself and read most days.

Anybody else know this feel?
Am I just illogically romanticizing something I never experienced?
>>
>>7722659
Right here bro.

I had a taste of the teenage life for the Summer of 2013 when I was turning 18. You're not romanticizing. It really is an indescribable experience. I've honestly considered writing a book about it. I hate to tell you but if you miss it altogether, you'll never get anything like it. Chance won't come around again.

My life is boring again. Sometimes I feel this crushing depression that that Summer is gone and will only get further away but at the same time I'm happy I got the chance to be a teenager.
>>
I remember Emma Watson's Ass in the movie adaptation.
>>
Six months ago this thread would've been deleted on the spot

I suppose reddit truly has invaded
>>
>>7722682
Is it good? I always imagined she'd be flat as a board.
>>
I only watched the film, but the rape twist was just so fucking hamfisted and retarded
>>
>>7722686
I'm afraid the reason why i left /mu/
is happening to this place too.
>>
Very very good for a YA book. Better than most.
>>
>>7722686
No it wouldn't.

It wouldn't have so many replies but it wouldn't have been deleted.

Someone should start an eternal YA general where all this shit can be posted and not shit up the rest of the board.
>>
It's a fine YA book. If you didn't read it when you were a teenager, there's no real point in reading it now.
>>
I saw the movie on a bus to Florida when I was 15 and it changed my life, read the book as soon as I got back home, and looking back I realize that book is great for different reasons than why I thought it was back then.

For instance, there's a part where the main character gives writing a shot, and he only gets the first sentence down before he gets upset and gives up. The character, Charlie, is seen as gifted when it comes to reading, so his teacher gives him a little out-of-school reading list and gets him to write papers on each book. One of them was On The Road. When I finally read On The Road I realized that that first sentence was lifted straight from OTR: "Ian MacArthur is a wonderful sweet fellow who wears glasses and peers out of them with delight."

He also has Charlie read Naked Lunch and The Fountainhead, neither of which he understands whatsoever, but he just goes along with it, like everything else he does. For YA it's a masterpiece, but you only realize just how much of one it is in hindsight. Most kids love it because they connect and relate with Charlie, they think it's cool to be a wallflower, when really the book is showing you how much of a fucker this kid really is.
It's not his fault, his aunt molested him as a kid and conditioned him to love then, then she died in a car accident, so his head is all screwed up but still
>>
>>7722759
I though his aunt killed herself so her molesting him wouldn't be found out.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.