[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRITIQUE THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: dreamcat3.jpg (96 KB, 601x800) Image search: [Google]
dreamcat3.jpg
96 KB, 601x800
Post your stuff. Try to critique at least one other person if you post. Don't be an asshole.

Here's a bit of something I'm working on:

In the parking lot there was only one light on and it looked ready to go out at any moment, as if the burden of keeping away the dark was too much for it to do alone. It flickered on and off casting flashes like intermittent lightning. Not that there was anything worth seeing—just construction and dirt where pavement had been ripped off like an old scab for even more construction. It was always like that when I went to punch in. I sometimes longed to be back at my apartment during those moments but gently reminded myself that there was nothing there. If I wasn’t going to do anything I might as well be paid for my time and if my time didn’t matter I might as well work the night shift for the extra two dollars an hour. There were less people on the night shift of course, which I liked. It was almost nice even. Until the rashes started showing up.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UyTGRJ1Lei7PepdWvPD7v_f_oF4mhyWsTPVtS5iLa_c/edit
>>
Aren't you afraid someone will steal it?
>>
>>7720364
Great hook with the rashes thing, but then you go off rambling about other stuff. Do we really need 3 paragraphs about the minutiae of your character's job? Despite all this info about email services, uniforms, the color of his coworkers' hair, etc. etc there's no mention of what he actually does, where he actually works (intetional?). Mess around with the structure of your sentences; you have a strange style that somehow walks the line between being conversational and overwrought.

I dunno, I was interested at first but you just lost me. Tighten it up a bit.
>>
Here's a poem I wrote:

I slipped out for a little while
The air clung tight
to me
It was dark out, but light
somehow
was in the snow
A lone streetlight shone
a cone of light for the lonely
Bone-white was shown
The absence of presence,
snow melting to the point of
mud
Slime less lonely than you, snow.
Melt away.
>>
>>7720714

It's just a page. Nothing can be done with it alone. I won't post the full story here.

>>7720760
The rambling tone is somewhat intentional. The character works in a factory that makes medical supplies. I guess I could mention this in the first page.
>>
Barely got past the first few sentences. This is the purpliest of purple prose. Try harder.
>>
>>7722114
You have no idea what people prose looks like.

OP, it's not bad for a first paragraph, though it tends to drag for a bit. I would most likely turn the page to read on.
>>
>>7720364
A couple instances of non-stylistic awkward phrasing and some grammar errors but it's mostly clean. The story itself seems interesting and the style of the prose is fun.
>>
File: hangz.jpg (412 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
hangz.jpg
412 KB, 1152x768
http://pastebin.com/raw/pB4vABxs

Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.