[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hue Academy of Leters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: Auriverde.gif (7 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
Auriverde.gif
7 KB, 250x175
It's brazilian /lit/erature thread time, meu negos.

As usual, let's set some starting questions:

>Is Raduam Nassar (Um Copo de Cólera, Lavoura Arcaica) our greatest contemporary writer?

>What's Machadão's best work and why is it Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas?

>Rank you 5 favourite brazilian writers

Also, general brazilian /lit/ discussion.
>>
aeHOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>7718073
Not Brazilian but interested.

Opinions on Rubem Fonseca?
>>
>>7718073
> >Is Raduam Nassar (Um Copo de Cólera, Lavoura Arcaica) our greatest contemporary writer?

Despite great critical acclaim, Nassar stopped writing in 1984, claiming he had lost interest in literature and wanted to work with agriculture instead. As a landowner, Nassar dedicated himself to commercial farming until 2011, when he donated the entire farm to the Federal University of São Carlos, on the condition that it should become a new campus. He has also donated much of his real estate and invested in local charity, retiring then to a small farm.
>>
>>7718099
Good, though a bit overrated.
O Caso Morel and Lúcia McCartney are great, my dad really likes Buffo & Spalanzani as well, but I haven't read it yet
>>
>>7718104
I'll check those out.

Apparently Fonseca is friends with Pynchon. That's how I heard of him.
>>
>>7718107
Wot m8, he's fairly accessible, I'll have to find a way to ask him about Pinecone
>>
File: 13374862837.png (15 KB, 597x464) Image search: [Google]
13374862837.png
15 KB, 597x464
No love for the portuguese? For shame, son.
>>
fellow monkey here.

I have little to zero knowledge of brazilian literatura and have barely read anything that's not on the Fuvest list, and even then I thought Assis, Amado and Pessoa were the only really good writers. I feel like I'm better acquainted with the american high school selection (To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye and whatnot) than the brazilian/portuguese one. I do recall reading Iracema and Cidade e as Serras and they were both just about the dullest things I've ever read

what should I read that is neither Assis nor Pessoa and is also not unbearably boring?
>>
>>7718099
O Cobrador is very, very good.
>>
>>7718140
To be quite honest, you're just another buttflustered third worlder with a serious underdog crisis. I bet you like the new brazilian right or some shit as well. You're not aquainted with any literary tradition if you're at this reading level, you should probably be thankful, since you can now navigate both national and foreign literature with enough attention to weigh both sides equally.

And before you come with the "but brazil is one country, it's only natural I know more from foreign ones", keep in mind you'll be stuck reading western european and american writers for a while during your formative years, so the quota you'll read for these countries will always be bigger than everyone else's, which should work as a drive for you to get aquainted with brazilian, or south american at least, literature the same much.
>>
>>7718156
Also, I know this seems disjointed, but that's because I'm high. It makes sense if you just stop and think about the private college, high-to-middle class male, liberalist / ANCAP, you all know the type.
>>
>>7718073
>Machado
>Memórias Póstumas
É óbvio que é Dom Casmurro
>>
>>7718140
>fellow monkey here.

i feel bad for you, desu
>>
>>7718181
Memórias Póstumas is goat, even Harrold Bloom agrees
>>
>>7718156
>To be quite honest, you're just another buttflustered third worlder with a serious underdog crisis.

lol pull that stick out of your arse. I'm not looking for anything beyond basic acquaintance with the national literary tradition, my 'formative years' in the fields are actually give a shit about are well past me.

>I bet you like the new brazilian right or some shit as well.

why, no, I'm a critical thinking progressive. I mean sure we're the laughingstock of the entire world right now and our total GDP growth in the 2014-2017 period is set to be a whooping -8%, but can you imagine how much worse things would be if those darned neoliberals were in charge? We can't go back to *those* terrible years, right my fellow progressive? :^)
>>
>>7718163
>It makes sense if you just stop and think about the private college, high-to-middle class male, liberalist / ANCAP, you all know the type.

you got one out of three anon
>>
>Raduam Nassar
oh wow Penguin just released translations of two books of his this year. bless Penguin.
>>
>>7718238
Well, that's all you're getting m8, but you're in for a ride

There's also a book of short stories, might be translated
>>
>>7718140
Two favorites for beginners:
>O Ateneu, awesome story
>Macunaíma, funny as hell

Also, I believe O Cortiço was on FUVEST's reading list. How could you not like that? Azevedo's prose is masterful and the plot is complex yet very entertaining if you don't get lost. Maybe pay a little more attention instead of assuming it's shit because it's Brazilian and not even make an effort? Same about Graciliano Ramos.

The ultimate Brazilian writer is of course João Guimarães Rosa. Read his short stories, read everything you can, and when you're ready, dive into Grande Sertão: Veredas and become enlightened.

Clarice Lispector is also pretty good but she can go a little too far into the feminine sometimes. Still, A Hora da Estrela and A Paixão segundo G.H. are absolute masterpieces of literature.

Don't, absolutely don't, ignore short stories and poetry, we have a shit-lot of talent. Olavo Bilac, Dalton Trevisan, João Cabral de Melo Neto, Paulo Leminski, the list is endless, just pick any of them and start reading their best works.

Just a few ways you could approach this.
>>
>>7718102
God, what a beautiful soul.
>>
Melhor escritor contemporâneo: Cristovão Tezza.
>>
>>7718124
Even if I've only read Machado, I hope it's not excessive to declare my love for Brasilian lit. Sorry I didn't get home sooner to bump the thread.
>>
>>7718265
Expand that, anão.
>>
File: 2788489.jpg (32 KB, 326x500) Image search: [Google]
2788489.jpg
32 KB, 326x500
>>
So, fellow gurizões, could you name about 7 or 8 brazilian masterpieces? I'll start:

>Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas
>Grande Sertão: Veredas
>Os Sermões (Padre Vieira)
>Triste Fim de Policarpo Quaresma
>Lavoura Arcaica
>O Continente (1ª parte d' O Tempo e o Vento)
>O Vampiro de Curitiba

Your turn, anões.
>>
>>7718388
Belos duplos.

Como é o livro? Já peguei na mão e acabei trocando por uma cópia de Macunaíma em capa dura.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
Unichamps anyone?
>>
>>7718394
Achei no sebo baratão, li o começo e me soa bom o bastante para continuar.
>>
>>7718254
>Read his short stories

Best one to start?
>>
>>7718394
>>7718419
There's a distinct lack of attention to this thread and you want to keep it in its ghetto by chatting in PT? Tiny world much?
>>
>>7718073
Guimarães Rosa; Grande Sertão Veredas
Machado de Assis; Esaú e Jacó
Graciliano Ramos; S. Bernardo
Bernardo Carvalho; Nove Noites
Aníbal Machado; A Morte da Porta-Estandarte
>>
>>7718400
UFSC, anyone?

>>7718427
Last time it worked well and our thread had 300+ posts of decent discussion. But I do get your point, anão :^)

>>7718437
Solid list, would mind introducing me into Aníbal Machado and Bernardo Carvalho?
>>
>>7718427
attention? ghetto? lit? Can't hear you over my huehuehue, sorry
>>
>>7718073
You guys heard about Olavo Carvaho?

He's the master of political non-fiction imo.
>>
>>7718460
Aníbal Machado: A morte do Porta-Estandarte e Cadernos de João
Bernardo Carvalho: o mesmo nove noites, e Reprodução

(The only one translated to english until now is Nine Nights by Bernardo Carvalho)
>>
>>7718254
I consider Leminski extremely overrated.

Anyway, this thread needs more Carlos Drummond and Fernando Sabino.
>>
File: 1455520765106.png (349 KB, 638x357) Image search: [Google]
1455520765106.png
349 KB, 638x357
>>7718464
>be me
>go to the bookstore
>see cutie clerk hanging by the foreign literature section
>aproach her and ask for the latest edition of "O Mínimo Que Você Precisa Saber Para Não Ser Um Idiota"
>she keeps staring at me with a weird face
>i say: 'That one book about brazilian political stances, 'OMQVPSPNSUI''
>she's still confused and asks me which author wrote that
>go full autismo and say "Olavão, ora porra"
>she bursts into a communist-like laughter and starts to gather all the other clerks around me
>they are all laughing and shouting
>"B-but Brazil is a commun-"
>"Go suck USA's cock, coxinha"
>to counter that deceptive argument, i try to reach for a copy of something from some neo reactionary author and end up slipping in my own imported crocs
>i fall and spread spaghetti all over the floor
>my ankle is broken, i'm crying and the whole store is laughing at me
>someone decides to call the paramedics, as i'm slowing crawling and sobbing and reciting quotes from Olavo around
>on my way to the ambulace, the governement issued paramedics drop me on the curb
>i try to say that if we were a neo-liberal country that wouldn't have happened and they cut my speech
>"Sorry, we don't have enough tax money to place you on the stretcher again"
>they give me a Bolsa Senpaiília card and walk away

>mfw olavo was right about everything
>>
>>7718156

>le ame-o ou deixe-o meme

Incredible how the left takes the argument that the dictatorship used to alienate the populace and tries to use it to same purpose thinking they're being patriotic. I'm not even from the right, it's just easy to see how ridiculous this is.

Putting that aside, the guy just said he's read basic high school brazilian lit, most people take a while into their 20s to realize that Brazil actually produces good literature (but not the greatest literature in South America, Argentina takes the cake by far). So stop being condescending and just give the guy some goddamn recommendations.
>>
>>7718738
Don't you ever fucking reply to me again.
>>
Caralho, vão se foder. Nem os brasileiros ligam pra literatura brasileira (literatura russa superior). Voltem para o brchan.

>esse monte de piada interna que só brasileiros vão entender
Simplesmente não. Peguem a foda fora.
>>
File: 1441683996954.jpg (29 KB, 409x393) Image search: [Google]
1441683996954.jpg
29 KB, 409x393
>>7718635
>"Go suck USA's cock, coxinha"
>>
aeHOOOOOOOOOO CARAIO
>>
>>7718752
This.
>>
File: 1455339984062.png (68 KB, 345x542) Image search: [Google]
1455339984062.png
68 KB, 345x542
>>7718752
>>7718763

Devolta pro /r9k/ com essa slave-underdog-morality, cariocas fedidos.

Also,

>literatura russa superior

Para de se pagar e fingir que leu alguma coisa depois de largar Os Irmãos Karamázov, seu plebeu.
>>
>>7718749

Here's your (You)
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.