[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey I've kinda been on a kick lately and I was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: americanpsychobook.jpg (78 KB, 649x865) Image search: [Google]
americanpsychobook.jpg
78 KB, 649x865
Hey I've kinda been on a kick lately and I was wondering what /lit/ thought of Brett Easton Ellis? So far I've read American Psycho and Less Than Zero, I'm currently reading The Rules of Attraction. I think his writing style is neat, his characters seem to be very detached from humanity which is depressing and interesting at the same time. I would also welcome recommendations of books similar to Ellis'.
>>
>>7714876
Ray Carver, only he's not an edgelord.
>>
I read Less than Zero a week ago. I loved the majority of the book but found the climax extremely heavy-handed. What did you think?

And how is Rulea of Attraction going? I was thinking about picking it up.
>>
>>7715019
The issue I've got with Less than Zero is that it's got three different climaxes-- the snuff film at the beach, the date with Julian, and the child sex slave-- and only one of them is any good, with the first and third being obnoxiously obvious and BEE's first dalliances into grotesquity without cleverness. And that part where Clay just tells his psychiatrist the theme-- wew.

Unfortunately, it's still probably his best book. AmPsy comes close, but Glamorama and Imperial are both kind of shit.
Haven't read RoA sadly.
Fun exercise if you've got time-- get the audio book for American Psycho and listen to it on shuffle. Actually enhances the experience and makes the munatie much more bearable and fun (the chapter where Bateman spends the evening failing to make reservations elucidated genuine laughter instead of oblique boredom).
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.