[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the Paul Klee of /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: Paul_Klee_1911.jpg (571 KB, 764x1056) Image search: [Google]
Paul_Klee_1911.jpg
571 KB, 764x1056
Who is the Paul Klee of /lit/?
>>
dr seuss
>>
>>7711802
Walser, of course.
>>
This is a great question and I'm going to stay tuned.

To make an attempt to contribute: I feel like you could compare him to poetry, especially stuff like say the symbolists, maybe Pound or Breton.

One of the distinct qualities to Klee's work to me is the sort of primitivism; many of the images and the moods he expresses seem to me to be attempting at some sort of almost unconscious, preternatural imagery. Especially there's some later stuff, and you can see this style evolve, where he paints very glyph-like figures that begin to represent almost a type of alphabet. I dunno if any of this makes sense, I don't know shit about visual art.
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 620x387
>>7712633
This is the kind of later work I was referring to. It's very pictographic, and almost resembles cave paintings in its presentation.
>>
File: image.jpg (426 KB, 940x1653) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
426 KB, 940x1653
>>7712638
another example. Curiously, this one is title "Characters in Yellow", which I choose to interpret as meaning like alphabetic characters. In this one specifically the lines and shapes have less distinct forms, but in some of these paintings, like in the previous image, the pictographic elements still retain vaguely humanoid or figurative shapes, while beginning to sort of morph into more abstract "letter" shapes.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 606x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 606x800
I'm sorry to get carried away and post so much, but I've actually just recently become obsessed with Klee, so good timing OP. lastly I want to share an earlier work, both to show the difference between different stages of his career, and also,to go back to the first thing I mentioned in my first post, when I said you could possibly compare Klee to symbolists or other poets.

This is one of my favourites for numerous reasons. Firstly, it straddles the line between some of his works that are purely just lines and blocks of colours, and the other works, like I described above, that are heavily symbolic or pictorial. This one is neat because of the geometry, and in case you didn't notice, it uses the symbol of two overlapping triangles, one inverted. This symbol is the basis for, for example, the Star of David, and I've encountered it a lot in alchemical writing, and it perhaps goes back further than Judaism, I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, the two overlapping triangles are supposed to represent wholeness, or the intersection of materiality and substantiality, but I might have that wrong.

Anywho, the last element I love is the triangles, a distinct and inexplicable recurring element in some of Klee's works, such as my absolute favourite, Mural From The Temple of Longing, which I won't post because I've spammed enough already.
>>
>>7712670
Fuck, the last thing I was talking about, I meant to say the arrows**. The arrows are the recurring element he uses sometimes
>>
i went to high school with a kid named paul klee lmao
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.