[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to be working with a group on the campus I attend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
I'm going to be working with a group on the campus I attend hoping to develop students who havn't read as much into better analytical readers. I think many students who end up in English classes (especially where I go) still lack the necessary tools to truly understand a text, and most of the time just see it the way the teacher says, (not that this is necessarily a bad thing but to truly understand a book students should be able to figure out what it means on their own). I go to a Community College so the reading level does vary a lot. Many students have even finished a book in their lives and are suddenly thrust into an intellectual atmosphere they are not ready for.
My plan is to teach a book as an example of how to properly analyze a text, so how to ask the right questions and that sort of thing. The problem is this program needs to take place in-between their classes. I'm looking for some brief literature which has some sort of analytical value to it, you know something that begs to be asked questions about. Where you're not quite sure what it means immediately and only upon contemplation come to realize; something that you can discuss.
I was thinking an essay or short story but am still open minded and am looking for input.
So what you guys go
>>
Yo,
the first thing that came to mind was animal farm, because it's short and the symbolism is just in your fucking face and is always applicable to current events.
however, even that might be a bit beyond the kind of student you're describing. maybe take a look at finding a collection of short stories that are approved for high school level students. there's plenty of shit out there that's clever but still easy to understand. this post probably isn't very helpful, im sorry. hope it serves as a bump which may in turn give you at least one useful reply lol. good luck sensei
>>
>>7711343
actually I hadn't even thought of that, that sort of collection is specifically made to teach high school students the same thing so why not start there? Great idea, really
>>
>>7711347
glad to help m8
>>
*maaaybe* a bit much, I can’t remember the language well enough, but Oscar Wilde’s fairy tales come to mind.
>>
File: LordOfTheFliesBookCover.jpg (96 KB, 334x518) Image search: [Google]
LordOfTheFliesBookCover.jpg
96 KB, 334x518
In a similar fashion to the person suggesting animal farm I suggest lord of the flies because of similar reasons:

a) characters are kids but each one represents one side of human nature

b) the plot is really easy and there is a lot of descriptive passages about the island where the kids are

c) the actual "lord of flies" is a huge symbol; not exactly clear but it allows for personal opinions of all kinds
>>
>>7711539
this is a great one thanks
>>
Maybe Araby by James Joyce?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.