[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Belgian Literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Poucet8.jpg (278 KB, 800x1005) Image search: [Google]
Poucet8.jpg
278 KB, 800x1005
What do you folks think of Belgian literature, in particular this short story by Jean Mogin (1921-198)?

'The Giants were Grinning'

At the Rijksmuseum Joseph took a detour to show me a picture of two giants vomiting.

The leftmost and homosexual giant was vomiting blood and semen, the rightmost giant was vomiting distorted forms, revealed from the correctly anamorphic angle to be a tangle of bodies arranged so as to ensure mutual death. Of those bodies, only painted were the imperfections and sagging contours; the forms of the faces were plucked from their warts. Both giants were infected with a disease that caused necrophilia.

The forms were painted to suggest they were a fungal infection on the canvass, save for those in the background, layered in thick mottled dollops that seemed to reach for language to embody them in the adjective ‘tumorous’. These forms seemed to be thickening to language, swelling to the riotous form of lolling tongues, seeking out description at some horizonal chaos where all engages all.

Vomiting as they were, it was discernible that the giants were grinning.

While not obviously skillful, the artist had compacted astonishing detail in the picture. Tattooed on the left giant’s naked stomach was cross-section of its digestion with diagrams chronicling the process not in stages, but in ages, the excretory ‘age’ as some era of apotheosis. Tattooed on the right giant’s chest was a landscape of images designed to provoke description; they already seemed to exist half in painting and half in language, and so it is redundant to describe them. Both of the giants were balding – their hairlines were receding to reveal tattoos of scalp rotting on skull. Some of the paint was peeling and showed the artist’s preparatory pencil sketches – renderings of the giants’ skeletons, structures that looked architectural rather than anatomical. I spent a good deal of time staring at the tumorously-clotted background, a landscape in which intestinal, vascular, seminal and necrotic themes were congealed in visual analogy.

The painting drew me in, but also seemed to push out; to want to infect and permeate, to be translated and transcribed, to mix with language in mutual saturation, to reproduce itself in a conquering variety of forms.

This picture was awful, in the old sense of awe-full, but in the new sense as well. It disturbed me. I asked Joseph why he showed it to me and he laughed. We were tense in the museum café. I still visit him when I’m in the country but our friendship has suffered.
>>
Big names of Belgian literature: Simenon, Maeterlinck, Michaux, Yourcenar.

Belgian literature has a strong symbolist bent to it I find. There is a straight line from Maeterlinck to Michaux.
>>
>Belgian literature
Your Eulenspiegel novel in French is very popular in Russia
>the story
thoughts:
first paragraph: if he was born at least 30 years earlier it would blend finely with all of the fin du siecle decadance and expressionism
second paragraph: ok, he has an idea for a piece of modern art but is too lazy to make it. i've seen it before in Barthelme, Pelevin, Delillo; all of those vanguard pomo writers keep doing that shit. such conceptualism! I just do know enough of the hipsters flocking to Kassel, Barcelona and New York to have zero reverence over someone saying "gallery".
fourth paragraph: oh, someone wants to be a magical realist.
the rest of it: dude, please finish the story and post it again.
>>
Jean Mogin is real (check his wiki) but this does seem a bit off. It doesn't seem early to mid twentieth century European (I've seen this story before on lit, about a year ago, and saved it).
>>
>>7705831
>check his wiki
a. The Belgians are as good at writing as they are at cookery and at architecture.
b. It isn't the author but the translator who wants to infect and to permeate with a tumorously clotted wall of text.
c. There is a fake professor trying to pick up student girls in our university. And he does have a wingman for dropping that line:
>check his wiki.
>>
>>7706296
d. Jean Mogin might be real but the text was actually produced by Erasmus and translated by Massimo Dutti. You absolutely gotta see the original Latin!
>>
I admit it! It is a hoax. I am not Belgian. I am not even white. But you who have mocked me are piss and cum. Pickle in sourness you crusty-furred mangy cunts, and insert the pickled cucumber of your gay being into yourselves. You try then! Write a story about giants that reaches the height of taste I have scaled!
>>
Jean Ray is worth a try

Malpertuis is Lovecraft-tier
>>
>>7705744
>Simenon, Michaux, Yourcenar
>Belgian
WAT
I did not know this
>best French literature is belgian
>best French bande dessinée is belgian
stop~stop!
>>
>>7705695
Kaas is a masterpiece
>>
louis paul boon is p dope
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.