[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. I want to write a story, not necessarily a novel or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1448910100639.png (162 KB, 543x600) Image search: [Google]
1448910100639.png
162 KB, 543x600
Hey /lit/. I want to write a story, not necessarily a novel or a memoir at least not for now, but I want to do it anyway. It's a personal thing and I have no interest in getting money from it, probably no one will ever see it, dunno. This story has been with me for over a year and I have characters (with character sheets of sort for important ones), some scenes and a very loose sense of how the story will develop, but I have no idea where to start.

How do I organize myself? Ending first? How to write compelling characters? It's a mess of ideas so I'm stuck without having written much. I've read around for advice and some of it is good and most isn't, so I thought I'd ask what you think.

I have the time and motivation, just don't know how to make that first step...
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
it's not that complicated: start writing, keep writing til you're done.
>>
>>7700190
This, basically.

Your first draft is going to be shit no matter what you do. No way around it, especially if you've never written before. Write ten drafts if you need to, with varying amounts of time between them. Then when you're satisfied run it by some people who might know what they're talking about and rewrite according to whatever criticism you feel is onto something

Might seem excessive but writing is hard, especially before you get used to it. But you don't need to take it too seriously as long as you're really doing it, no reason to give yourself anxiety about it.

Good luck friend
>>
>>7700190
Yes, I suppose it boils down to that eventually, much like drawing which I am better at.

>>7700222
I will keep this in mind and just start doing it. It's honestly a little scary, even if I know no one will probably see this material, finished or not. Thanks anyway, you two.
>>
>>7700229
No reason to be afraid. You're going to fail at first, just laugh about it and enjoy the process.

Or if you don't enjoy it and still want to finish it then suffer through it, that works too
>>
>>7700236
True. I dunno, just my experience drawing, I always felt that whenever you create something, a doodle or a complete work, you always put a little bit of yourself into it. Still though, no reason not to start doing it.
>>
i think it was stephen king who said "write a page a day, and by the end of an year you'll have written a novel"

there is no secret, just start to write it, then read it, rewrite parts of it, and so on until you are satisfied with your work
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.