[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Audiobooks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
This thread is about everything audiobooks.
I usually listen to them on my phone, but now I realized I can also do it while playing certain games. Any suggestions on good audiobook players?
I specifically need the speed increase tool without screwing the audio, because one of the things I listen to is the economist and they talk waaaay too slow.

What do you think of audioboooks?
Are they as good as regular books?
>>
Never used audiobooks.

Are they any good?
>>
>>7696515
No.
>>
File: elastic.jpg (331 KB, 1280x694) Image search: [Google]
elastic.jpg
331 KB, 1280x694
I listen to audiobooks in the summer while I run, training for the half marathon.
I just put the mp3's on my iPod.
I have no software recommendation, but that problem seems extremely basic and solvable by any sound editor.

>Are they as good as regular books?
Well no, it's another medium.
If I read Caums, say, if that consists of a narrator saying something I can't go back to what has been said several times, let alone in the next paragraph or at the next page content, then I have no chance of grasping a good interpretation of what's been said.
It might be good for listening to Harry Potter, that's another type of reading.
>>
File: squadgoals11.jpg (249 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
squadgoals11.jpg
249 KB, 1200x1200
>>7696535
Same here, it's another medium, but an enjoyable one. Having one going makes doing long, boring chores tolerable. I listen when I need to walk somewhere far, drive, or clean around the house.

I recommend using them for things that you'd want to read anyway, but where, yeah, you don't need to close read nearly as much. Then again, good prose means good recitation, typically.

I go through people like Austen or some Victorian novels via audio, since they're mostly plot driven and the prose is solid but direct.

I also think, if you're into being the next great writer, it's good to get other people's prose rythems into your head, and hearing them is a really good supplement to reading them.

I also think there's a basic classist stygma against people who listen to audiobooks that we need to dispel. If you work a menial job all the time, like backroom in a store or delivering packages, it's probably the best way to get educated on your bosses time. Audiobooks also harken back to the roots of literature, recitation and performance and oral traditions and all that, etc, etc... If you look at the course of literature as a whole, people probably only started consuming written language as entertainment and sources of knowledge to the extent that they did because books are an easier thing to get ahold of than some trained skald who could preform an epic or a philosopher who could lecture (remember, Aristotle told Alexander not to worry about him giving away his prized education in books because his writings were only meant to supplement the teachings he gave in person.) Anyway, now that the spoken word is just as easily (maybe even more easily) replicated as the written one, I think it's natural that more and more people start listening to preformed literature (which adds an important extra variable for an artist to work with.) It wouldn't surprise me if, in the next few decades, we see more and more writers, first pulpy ones, then serious ones, writing for audio as a primary and independent genre.

But, yeah, when I'm not working or cooking or cleaning, I do sit down with an actual book.
>>
File: 1453664916637.jpg (74 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
1453664916637.jpg
74 KB, 576x576
Did audiobookbay get taken down?
What's going on?
>>
>>7695973
I honestly use audio more than actual books because I can't really take break from studying with an actual book because it's a strain on the eyes. I close my eyes for 30 minutes and feel rested afterwards.
Also I've often read and listened to the same book and I've never noticed much of a difference, especially with novels.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.