[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let us all take a moment to appreciate the genius of William
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: The_Tyger_BM_a_1794.jpg (391 KB, 798x1343) Image search: [Google]
The_Tyger_BM_a_1794.jpg
391 KB, 798x1343
Let us all take a moment to appreciate the genius of William Blake.

Does anyone else regret the death of Christianity as the great spiritual influence on western art? I think we are still waiting for a reaction to the enormous vacuum it left and to future generations we will be a cultural dark age at the death of a great tradition.

>inb4 the future is Islam

It would honestly be an improvement on modern art and reactionary politics
>>
>>7693797
William Blake was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7693797
Blake was definitely great. I largely agree with your sentiments regarding Christianity. I can't help but shake my head, for example, at people trying to read Flannery O'Connor who have no knowledge of Catholicism. But they're tomorrow's literary writers. :(
>>
"The Lamb"/counterpart to the first post

Little Lamb who made thee
Dost thou know who made thee
Gave thee life & bid thee feed.
By the stream & o’er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing wooly bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice!
Little Lamb who made thee
Dost thou know who made thee

Little Lamb I’ll tell thee,
Little Lamb I’ll tell thee!
He is called by thy name,
For he calls himself a Lamb:
He is meek & he is mild,
He became a little child:
I a child & thou a lamb,
We are called by his name.
Little Lamb God bless thee.
Little Lamb God bless thee.
>>
>>7693809
>meme author
Then I am at a loss what to call you
>>
O Rose thou art sick.
The invisible worm,
That flies in the night
In the howling storm:

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy:
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.
>>
>>7693809
Not going to make it bro.
>>
>>7693809
top jej
>>
>>7693797
>I think we are still waiting for a reaction to the enormous vacuum it left

Blake and the other romantics ARE that reaction, or at least the first stage of it. Blake was just the only one who was seriously Christian the absolute madman. Everyone was picking up the pieces of Christianity and trying to fit them back together. It just happened that most of them ended up creating Nature.
>>
little fly thy summer's play
my little hand has brushed away
am i not a fly like thee
or art not thou a man like me?

for i dance and drink and sing
til some blind hand shall brush my wing
if thought is life and strength and breath
and the want of thought is death
then am I a happy fly
if i live or if i die

all from memory, are you proud of me?
>>
I kind of hope science will fill the void. That idea existed back in the 19th century (Balzac, Zola). Today there's so much more knowledge, but it's used only in shitty hard sci fi. (Although there are interesting experiments in other arts, such as Xenakis and Escher.)
>>
>>7693809
Literally nice meme bro
>>
no, christianity was scum that produced no art of any value
>>
>>7695277
bait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKz5Zbl_9r8
>>
>>7694007
Science is cold and rarely breeds interesting persons.
>>
>>7694007
Science destroys literature.

Why contemplate human existence or how to view the world when "lol its just brain chemistry" is the answer for everything
>>
>>7695397
see, people who like science thinks 'lol brain chemistry' is beautiful and interesting and meaningful just as religious people thought 'lol god did it' is beautiful and interesting and meaningful.

If you can only appreciate one mode of seeing the world and devalue the other, you're letting ideology taint your sense of aesthetics.

>inb4 'The Martian'

Just because some sciencefags are aesthetic abortions doesn't make religiousfags automatically superior. For every Aquinas there's thousands or millions of plebs who wield religion only as a tool of politics, not aesthetics
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.