[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quotes thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: 320px-Epicurus-PergamonMuseum.png (332 KB, 320x563) Image search: [Google]
320px-Epicurus-PergamonMuseum.png
332 KB, 320x563
What is your favorite/most inspiring quote out of any piece of literature?

"Of all the means which wisdom acquires to ensure happiness throughout the whole of life, by far the most important is friendship."
~Epicurus
>>
File: kirkiscool.jpg (15 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
kirkiscool.jpg
15 KB, 240x240
"If you marry, you will regret it; if you do not marry, you will also regret it; if you marry or do not marry, you will regret both; Laugh at the world’s follies, you will regret it, weep over them, you will also regret that; laugh at the world’s follies or weep over them, you will regret both; whether you laugh at the world’s follies or weep over them, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it, believe her not, you will also regret that; believe a woman or believe her not, you will regret both; whether you believe a woman or believe her not, you will regret both. Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will also regret that; hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the sum and substance of all philosophy." - A
>>
>>7685591
philosophy = regret?
>>
the world is full of memorable quotes and I can't recall any of them.
>>
>>7685605
I never asked for you to remember all of them, simply one quote or line that stuck with you because it's inspiring or just because you like the way it sounds
>>
>>7685608

The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these things you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

-Hemingway
>>
Agonies are one of my changes of garments,
I do not ask the wounded person how he feels, I myself become the wounded person,
My hurts turn livid upon me as I lean on a cane and observe.

-Whitman

From my favorite chant in Leaves of Grass
>>
>>7685634
I'm quite intrigued by this one, all though I'm not quite sure I understand what he means in the last line. would you care to explain this to me?
>>
Cassius from bondage will deliver Cassius.
>>
>>7685659

Not that same anon but I believe he's saying his hurts (pains, ailments, troubles, agonies) grow angry with him when he observes/studies maybe even enjoys them instead of letting them bother him.
>>
>>7685666
I see, thanks anon. English isn't my first language
>>
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. - George Orwell, Animal Farm
>>
>>7685564
"Real friendship is shown in times of trouble; prosperity is full of friends."
~Euripedes
>>
File: frankestein-cover.jpg (22 KB, 420x707) Image search: [Google]
frankestein-cover.jpg
22 KB, 420x707
"But I am a blasted tree; the bolt has entered my soul; and I felt then that I should survive to exhibit, what I shall soon cease to be - a miserable spectacle of wrecked humanity, pitiable to others, and intolerable to myself."

Considering how much I hate myself, I really like this one from Frankenstein.
>>
In time there is no past and future, but only the now, and this is, but is not as regards the past; and this non-being, as future, turns round into Being.
>>
>>7686082
I like you, my friend
>>
File: 220px-Cao_Cao_scth.jpg (17 KB, 220x270) Image search: [Google]
220px-Cao_Cao_scth.jpg
17 KB, 220x270
Better that I betray the world than let the world betray me.
>>
>>7685601
More like "It's completely pointless".
>>
File: 50510290.jpg (110 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
50510290.jpg
110 KB, 400x400
>>7686501
>>
“Objection, evasion, joyous distrust, and love of irony are signs of health; everything absolute belongs to pathology.”
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1912) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1912
I have shitloads more, but I can't be bothered photographing them all.
>>
>>7687612
You've got beautiful handwriting mate, where did you learn to write like that?
>>
>>7687851
Partly in school, partly through the use of a lettering grid, and partly through the use of a fountain pen's curvature.

Thanks btw. You do like the actual quotations?
>>
>>7688659
No. >>7685564
No matter how vast the darkness we must provide our own light.
>>
>>7688659
Honestly I don't like poetry that much, I'm more in to philosophy. But there are a few good ones in there
>>
>>7689140
You sound like you could use a friend
>>
File: 1453385448458.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1453385448458.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
Poetic.
>>
Und Menschen wollen immer noch nicht sterben.
(And yet people still do not want to die.)

It's from a poem by Jakob van Hoddis. It might seem a bit simple. But I like it for its ambivalence. You can read it like that: the world is pretty much doomed, if it isn't over already, and those dumb humans still cling to life as if it would mean anything.

Or you can read it like that: that despite everything, humans still do find the will to live, even in a world like ours.

And yeah, I'm a sucker for a good iamb.
>>
Pashtun proverbs:

Women belong in the house or in the grave.

Women have no noses. They will eat s***.

One’s own mother and sister are disgusting.

When the floodwaters reach your chin, put your son beneath your feet.
>>
O yonge, fresshe folkes, he or she,
In which that love up groweth with youre age,
Repeyreth hom from wordly vanyte,
And of youre herte up casteth the visage
To thilke God that after his ymage
Yow made, and thynketh al nys but a faire,
This world that passeth soone as floures faire.
[Troilus and Criseyde IV.1835-1841]
>>
>>7685622
This is good.
>>
>>7686501
More like "There's no right answer"
>>
File: engels chick.png (207 KB, 457x500) Image search: [Google]
engels chick.png
207 KB, 457x500
Ich hab' mein Sach auch Nichts gestellt.
>>
>>7690376
more like "the 'grass is always greener' phenomenon is a fundamental aspect of the human mental landscape"
>>
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
>>
>>7685605
Best quote
>>
Die liebe Erde allüberall blüht auf im Lenz und grünt
Aufs neu! Allüberall und ewig blauen licht die Fernen!
Ewig... ewig...
>>
‘I expect I’m better at finding things out than you are, dear. Tell me, what did you think of me before that day I gave you the note?’

He did not feel any temptation to tell lies to her. It was even a sort of love-offering to start off by telling the worst.

‘I hated the sight of you,’ he said. ‘I wanted to rape you and then murder you afterwards. Two weeks ago I thought seriously of smashing your head in with a cobblestone.
>>
File: 1452229708059.png (64 KB, 154x251) Image search: [Google]
1452229708059.png
64 KB, 154x251
"The really good man is not famous; if he be famous, he is not really a good man, for all fame is nothing but falsehood."
>>
When Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara practised the deep Prajnaparamita, he saw that the five skandhas were empty; thus he overcame all ills and suffering.

"O Sariputra! Form does not differ from the void, and the void does not differ from the form. Form is the void, and the void is form. The same is true for feelings, conceptions, impulses and consciousness.

O Sariputra, the characteristics of the void is not created, not annihilated, not impure, not pure, not increasing, not decreasing.

Therefore, in the void there are no forms and no feelings, conceptions, impulses and no consciousness: there is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind; there is no form, sound, smell, taste, touch or idea; no eye elements, until we come to no elements of consciousness; no ignorance and also no ending of ignorance, until we come to no old age and death; and no ending of old age and death.

Also, there is no truth of suffering, of the cause of suffering, of the cessation of suffering or of the path. There is no wisdom, and there is no attainment whatsoever. Because there is nothing to be attained, a Bodhisattva relying on Prajnaparamita has no obstruction in his heart. Because there is no obstruction he has no fear, and he passes far beyond all confused imagination and reaches Ultimate Nirvana.

All Buddhas in the past, present and future have attained Supreme Enlightenment by relying on the Prajnaparamita. Therefore we know that the Prajnaparamita is the great magic Mantra, the great Mantra of illumination, it is the supreme Mantra, the unequaled Mantra which can truly wipe out all suffering without fail."

Therefore, he uttered the Prajnaparamita mantra, by saying:

"Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasemgate Bodhi-svaha!"
>>
What's the Ancient Greek proverb or something Aristotle/Plato/Socrates saying about speaking no evil?
>>
>>7689589
Ha no I'm better than that quote makes me out to be. That quote gives me the same feeling as looking at the stars or the ocean which completely trivializes my existence, making me think that all my worries means fuck all in the scale of space and time. It calms me.
>>
>>7692090
Don't be evil dawg.
>>
>>7685564
Epicurus was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. he was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7692400
Your imitation skills need to be honed. Please don't do that here however.
>>
“Yes, that’s so,” said Sam, “And we shouldn’t be here at all, if we’d known more about it before we started. But I suppose it’s often that way. The brave things in the old tales and songs, Mr. Frodo, adventures, as I used to call them. I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and
looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull, a kind of a sport, as you might say. But that’s not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, or the ones that stay in the mind. Folk seem to have been just landed in them, usually their paths were laid that way, as you put it. But I expect they had lots of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn’t. And if they had, we shouldn’t know, because they’d have been forgotten. We hear about those as just went on, and not all to a good end, mind you; at least not to what folk inside a story and not outside it call a good end. You know, coming home, and finding things all right, though not quite the same; like old Mr Bilbo. But those aren’t always the best tales to hear, though they may be the best tales to get landed in! I wonder what sort of a tale we’ve fallen into?”
>>
>>7690396
stirner? goethe?
>>
>>7692894
Stirner is quoting Goethe, yes.
>>
>>7692904
Yes
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.