[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. Pls help me: I just went back to college this past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1448831848219.jpg (342 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1448831848219.jpg
342 KB, 850x850
Hey /lit/. Pls help me:

I just went back to college this past fall semester as an English major. Reading is the only thing in the world I'm good at. I like to think I write well too, but let's leave that alone.

I have good taste. I enjoy reading good literature. I like Melville, Joyce, Eliot, Yeats, Shakespeare, Milton, Homer, etc. Much of what's on my syllabi I have read already, and what material I haven't read is on my to-read list anyway.

But I don't see myself becoming a teacher and I'm coming to learn that I loathe academic work. I've to do a "research response poster" for a course (on Antony and Cleopatra) and it makes me feel terribly depressed. I don't like literary theory and I don't like research. To me reading is an end in itself.

The point is I'll graduate next winter semester if I keep at it -- but if I don't want to be a teacher or academic, is it worthwhile? Surely someone else has had similar troubles. I'm leaning hard toward returning to a shitty job and living shittily and just reading and writing with all my free time. I was happy then.

Should I drop out again or should I try to figure out how to enjoy literary analysis? Am I stupid?
>>
Seems like you're already in deep. Did it really take you think long to realize you don't like academic work or the options this degree will give you?

Anyway, it is nice to have a degree under your belt, regardless. It's better to have an English degree on your resume instead of having reading and writing on there as a hobby.
>>
that brushwork makes her skin look hairy.
>>
>>7684307
>
But I don't see myself becoming a teacher and I'm coming to learn that I loathe academic work. I've to do a "research response poster" for a course (on Antony and Cleopatra) and it makes me feel terribly depressed. I don't like literary theory and I don't like research. To me reading is an end in itself.

You sound like a lazy faggot, learn to take pride in what you do. If you can't even write a paper without getting depressed I don't think you're gonna make it in reel lyfe
>>
Sounds like you're already pretty close to graduating, so I think you should stick it out. "Bachelors Degree in English" sounds a lot better than "dropped out twice."

Not sure how the uni system works where you are, but you could think about adding another major, something more practical, so that you finish later, but with a double degree, or a double major that actually has value in the "real world".
I do international relations - still reading based and very theoretical, but also seen as having some real- world value to employers.
Would adding something else now be possible for you?
>>
>>7684333
Everyone's skin is hairy you dip
>>
>>7684327

Well I was a mathematics major when I dropped out last time. I like literature more than anything in the world, so I'd never have guessed English classes would be so awful for me. I guess I am close enough that I might as well keep going.

>>7684355
I suppose it could very well be laziness, although I do feel proud of the work I've done (all As in the fall) and mostly I just don't feel my understanding of any text has been deepened in any meaningful way by the academic parts of the English degree, so it seems like a bigbig waste of time.

>>7684363
I am studying Russian, and if I go one extra semester I could get a Russian minor?
>>
>>7684307
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aEmDgfvLbg

BUSINESS
>>
>>7684390
You seem like a really bright and successful student. What exactly is it about academia that makes it so unattractive for you? Is it really just the idea that it's a waste of time? Money? How does math compare to English in terms of interest, ability, and potential? How does studying language compare to those two?
Did you go to university to get a job or for an education? That makes choices a lot easier to make.
>>
shouldve gone to a better school
>>
unless you want to talk about the authors you pretend to like fuck off to >>>/adv/
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.