[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was lolita ever in love with Humbert? Or was it just an innocent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: lolita-blog.png (418 KB, 600x937) Image search: [Google]
lolita-blog.png
418 KB, 600x937
Was lolita ever in love with Humbert? Or was it just an innocent crush? was Humbert just bullshitting us?
Discuss. Also general Lolita discussion/opinions because I have just finished reading it for the second time.
>>
>>7680677
All delusion
>>
>>7680677
Very plausible, almost certain imo. Psychologically speaking, Lolita had no father figure growing up and it stands to reason that a sudden male influence in her life would be very attractive to a young girl.

At the same time, the extent to which Lolita actually liked Humbert was undoubtedly exaggerated.
>>
>>7680677
I just finished reading it for the first time and thought it was amazing.

As for your question, no, Lolita was never in love with Humbert. At first, yeah, she had a slight crush, like all little girls have once, but she never loved him, neither as a father nor as a lover, and I'm pretty sure that ever since she found out about her mother she hated him.
Humbert was just so self-centered and deluded by crazy ass love that he couldn't realize he was making life hell for that child.

I loved the prose so much even though I couldn't appreciate it completely since there were a lot of weird words (English not being my native tongue), but I'll surely read it again once my English gets better.

I wanna read Pale Fire next, I want more Nabokov. Is it harder in terms of prose?
>>
>>7680731
>I loved the prose so much even though I couldn't appreciate it completely since there were a lot of weird words (English not being my native tongue), but I'll surely read it again once my English gets better.

Native english speaker here. Learned about 100 new words from this book, don't feel badly.
>>
>>7680729
>psycho-analysis in literature
>implying one can judge a character's childhood by a stereotypical feature

kek. go home
>>
File: Qoh7GIx.jpg (54 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
Qoh7GIx.jpg
54 KB, 500x670
>>7680677
nabokov is so satisfying and fun to read and so accessible too. He was a master.
>>
>>7680731
Pale fire is harder in terms of plot, and the references can more more challenging. I don't recall the prose being harder.
>>
>>7680747
At first I was adding unknown words to an Anki deck but as they started to appear in bigger and bigger numbers soon my laziness got the best of me.
I should probably go back and add more words to the deck, I guess it would do wonders for me when I attempt to read more complex works, aka Ulysses.

>>7680763
I'll admit that there were times where I had trouble following the story, but as much as they made my head hurt, I have to say I really really liked very much the parts where Humbert gets paranoid about being followed and where he searches for Lolita after she gets "kidnapped".

So if Pale Fire has more of that then I'm sure I'll like it.
>>
What are some books similar to Lolita as far as the prose and wordplay?
>>
File: Nabokov.jpg (13 KB, 272x340) Image search: [Google]
Nabokov.jpg
13 KB, 272x340
>>7680729
>Psychologically speaking
>>
>>7680758
his stuff is florid but ultimately superficial
>>
>>7681315
So what?
>>
>>7681346
I agree that he's satisfying, fun to read, and accessible, but I don't think that he's a master.

A master of prose, certainly, but it takes more to make a master.
>>
File: 1409270832873s.jpg (10 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1409270832873s.jpg
10 KB, 125x125
>>7681362
>A master of prose, certainly, but it takes more to make a master.
>>
>>7680677

Humbert has probably deluded himself into thinking that to justify his paedophilia. The guy is a liar and a terrible person; the perfect unreliable narrator.
>>
>>7680677
She was only infatuated with him early on in an innocent sense, but all that ended when she went to camp. Every thing after that is one fucked up man's obsession and eventual falling in love with someone who won't ever love him back.

I like Lolita and The Eye (which was written in Russian) and I'm currently reading Ada and only now enjoying it now that I've gotten to part two. I don't really get off to Nabokov's prose like so many do, though. He's needlessly verbose but sometimes it clicks. He just enjoys the English language so much that he doesn't know when to stop, and I can't fault him for it.
>>
>>7680677
women do not love men like men love women.

women try to hide their egotism behind a lack of narcissism, so that men truly think that women love men, like men love women. at best, the love of the men towards women is found in women loving their children (but even this as strong egotism on the women side)

men love towards women is not healthy either, since men try to be validated by women.

good men know that women are just here for entertainment so they are less devoted to women. these men are narcissistic, but not egotistic. women take this narcissism as a sign of a similar egotism to theirs and they like those men who do not care about pleasing women.
>>
>>7680677
He's an unreliable narrator, Lola never felt a thing for him.
>>
>>7681412
please don't generalize my gender
>>
>>7681513
Or mine.
>>
>>7681412
Really? Go back to your /r9k/.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.