[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know all the hate Achebe gets on here for his opinion on 'Heart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 71qLnZuj5SL.jpg (138 KB, 792x1219) Image search: [Google]
71qLnZuj5SL.jpg
138 KB, 792x1219
I know all the hate Achebe gets on here for his opinion on 'Heart of Darkness', but I was curious as to what /lit/ thought of 'Things Fall Apart'.
>Yams on Yams on Yams on Yams on Yams.
>>
>>7674748
>reading nig nogs
>>
>>7674748

I'm not so sure that's why /lit/ dislikes him. It's my impression that /lit/ isn't particularly fond of Heart of Darkness either. In general, there's an aversion against the kind of books one reads in high school, be that Conrad, Fitzgerald, Salinger or Steinbeck.

I thought Things Fall Apart was pretty mediocre. The father/son theme was painfully trite. Okonkwo's actions where often ridiculous, and at points, the characterization was hamfisted to the extreme.

The ending though, was superb. But it did not manage to salvage or redeem the rest of the work.

I haven't read anything else by Achebe. I could be willing to give him another shot, if I hear about another work that is supposedly better. Bear in mind that while I found Things Fall Apart mediocre, it is miles ahead of most books.

>>7674761

You know where you belong. I suggest you go there.
>>
'/lit/'(which isn't a hivemind anway) doesn't hate TFA, or even the African Trilogy as a whole. The worst it gets is people saying it's massively overrated(not untrue), and the more /pol/-minded amongst its critics here attribute this to it being overly praised in academia because of its perceived Africanness.
I liked TFA, but it's probably the weakest of the African Trilogy, for me in part because of its excessive focus on trying to frame the story in the Igbo world. Most characters at times are archetypes(especially the oh-so-tragically flawed Okonkwo) instead of feeling like genuine persons, which weakens the whole work because the Igbo world that Achebe puts so much effort in describing feels flat and uninhabited. The other two parts of his African Trilogy suffer much less from this - I suspect because Achebe was a lot more westernised than he was traditionally Igbo, and didn't have to strain so much to write the other two.
>>
I actually quite enjoyed it, even if it was extremely heavy handed.
>>
>>7674825

Interesting. Which work of the African Trilogy would you consider superior? I agree with a lot of your thoughts on TFA, but have not been entirely turned of Achebe.
>>
>>7674794
Really? Every thread on /lit/ I've seen has had high regards for Heart of Darkness.
>>
read it in highschool
yams were a running joke

in retrospect I agree with this anon >>7674794
>>
>>7674930
It didn't stand out to me much until the very end when he hangs himself. I found that surprisingly tragic and potent.
>>
>>7674794
>>7674825
Honestly, I barely even remember it because I read it in high school. I just remember bits and pieces like all the yams shit, polygamy, him killing a little boy because of some tribal custom, his son becoming a christian, and him killing himself.

Also there's a trilogy?
>>
>>7674748
What's the yams?
>>
I read this in college for Brit Lit (not sure why) and I thought it was pretty good.

I'm usually interested in topics such as colonialism and conflict between different cultures though so that's probably partly why.
>>
>>7674953
why do you continue these racist comments when nobody finds them funny or offensive? Racists are like the Cambridge undergrads of the taboo
"i love soup but i hate blacks and asians"
>>
>>7675066
The Yams is the power that be.
>>
>>7675167
But bro, it's edgy so it must be funny!
>>
My mom's book club read it therefore it must be shit.
>>
>>7675167

>Racists are like the Cambridge undergrads of the taboo

What the literal fuck?
>>
i had to read it for school once and i got three or four chapters in before i stopped
>>
I liked the ending, but Stoner did TFA 1000x times better.
>>
>>7675324
the joke is that Cambridge undergraduates always boast about getting into Cambridge (with good reason ofc)
>>
I liked it too, only I'm not so eloquent as >>7674794 to be able to share my enjoyment with you via the medium of words.
>>
>>7674794
if you don't like Steinbeck, you got no soul
>>
>>7675615
>not liking plodding prose with heavyhanded sentimentality and symbolism and trite "lessons" means you have no soul

wew lad

also

>implying the soul isn't a spook
>>
If I ever write an autobiography I'm gonna steal the title
>>
>>7674748
Im about to start Arrow of God
>>
>>7675640

As it stands, your criticism is so vague that it could be applied to thousands of authors.
>>
>>7676043
yes. and they're all bad. and steinbeck is one of them. what's your point?
>>
>>7676046

>Dostoevsky
>Tolstoy

>plodding prose with heavyhanded sentimentality and symbolism and trite "lessons"
>>
>>7674748
Actually got better as it went on instead of the typical vice versa, pretty solid overall. Yams/10
>>
>teacher made us read this in hs
>whole book is see! Were not barbarians, we have some sort of societal organization!
Felt desperate and kind of dumb
>>
>>7676589
Okonkwo kills his "son", I consider that quite barbaric. I believe Achebe tried to convey that both the tribes and the colonials were barbaric to an extent because after all, all humans have a barbarian inside of them.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.