[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Times someone has made you look a right pleb, on account
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 448x271) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 448x271
ITT: Times someone has made you look a right pleb, on account of something you were reading/purchasing.

Other anons judge whether the comment/reaction received was justified.
>>
I was at a Sunday market, looking through a killer stall of books (mostly modern lit)

I decided to buy Blood Meridian, and a couple of low-key meme books.

The stall owner looks through my purchases, praising my selections, genuinely impressed, when he comes to the Cormac McCarthy...

>outstanding choice right here, anon, but the question is, are you ready for it?
>a-a-about as ready as I'll ever be [awkward-but-knowing laughing]
>which of his other books have you read so far, anon?
>u-um, none sir. I just heard it was a pretty good read.
>[actually laughs] [calls out to a total NEET customer] yo, this guy thinks he can take on Blood Meridian without reading any of Cormacs other work!
>[they both laugh]
>[I stand there ashamed, contemplating suicide] h-h-here's your $40, sir
>>
>>7653516
Almost the exact same thing happened when I purchased Finnigans Wake from a bookstore in Brunswick, when I had only read Portrait.

Feelsbad man, but 2bh, people should really read the back catalog before even purchasing the respective Magnum Opera.
>>
>>7653516
Entirely unjustified- leaves them looking like plebs, not you. It's in no way a difficult read. Unless you hate violence, I guess, in which case you may have trouble.

>>7653552
That's more understandable.
>>
>>7653575
This. BM is a stupid easy read, and it's allegory, though interesting, is not subtle at all. Still enjoyed it, though.
>>
>>7653516

similar thing happened when I, having only read The Crying of Lot 49, bought a copy of Mason & Dixon. the bookstore guy was excited and started talking about Pynchon and i let him down.
>>
>>7653516
Is this fucking real? This makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>Hello, do you have anything by Albert Kay-mus?
>girl at the counter stares at me for a few seconds
>"You mean Ca-moo?"

I could never return to that bookshop.
>>
File: 1450867299241.jpg (108 KB, 1070x348) Image search: [Google]
1450867299241.jpg
108 KB, 1070x348
>>7653516
>>7653552
>>7653610

>just getting into reading
>buy a stack of classics

you know the story
>>
>>7653639
No one expects anglos to properly pronounce french names
>>
>>7653639
Hey, same thing happened to me!
>>
>>7653516
>Be a book monger
>Have a customer about to buy my wares, therefore helping to pay my bills and feed my family
>Insult him
>He never comes back

Why?
>>
>>7653639
you were in that barnes and noble thread earlier weren't you?
>>
A classmate (history shit tier degree) asked what was I reading in the middle of a dumb class. Nigga doesn't even read. It was Master and Margarita. He didn't know about it and asked me what it was about.
>W-well it's about... Satan appears in the USSR and... it's like he fucks up the whole bureaucratic system and...
>"Haha fine anon if it's about history (????) I'll maybe take a look"
As I told him the plot it felt like I was reading some Dan Brown shit or something.
>>
File: Yotsuba11.png (74 KB, 206x279) Image search: [Google]
Yotsuba11.png
74 KB, 206x279
>reading anything postmodern/experimental/avant-garde/surreal/etc.
>someone asks me what it's about
>mfw trying to explain it without sounding like a pretentious asshole
>>
>Reading on subway
>Black guy sitting next to me turns to me
>Asks "Are you an intellectual?"
>N-no
>Smiles and says "That's why you read Plato"
>>
>>7653670
Those who perceive even an ounce of "sophisticated" talk as pretentious aren't worth anyone's time anyways
>>
>>7653675
I have a feeling I've seen this before but it was still delicious.
>>
File: 1454394065892.png (434 KB, 491x659) Image search: [Google]
1454394065892.png
434 KB, 491x659
>>7653552
>tfw checking out finnegans wake from the library
>tfw not sure how long to take to return it
>>
>>7653639
>Ca-moo

it's /kamy/, not /kamu/, PUTAIN!
>>
(When I was into old sci-fi novels)

>Hi, do you have any recommendations of authors similar to John Win-dings?
>um -- sorry, anon, I can't say I've ever heard of him.
>Of course you have, he's written dozens of books. His most famous one is Day of the Triffids. I'm sure you'd know it.
> (me thinking, 'get a load of this pleb')
>Oh, you mean John Wynd-ham, don't you, anon?

thank fuck I no longer read genre fiction, and never have to show my face there again.
>>
>be 15 at a typical chain bookstore
>starting to get seriously interested in film but there's still so much I don't know
>find myself exploring the magazines
>'Film Quarterly,' is buried inside the arts and photography section
>it looks dense and serious and academic
>on the cover is a balding bearded man staring to the left of the frame
>there's dark clouds and a grassy field behind him
>damn, it must be real philosophical and shit
>decide to buy it after leafing through a couple of essays I don't understand
>at the counter is an older girl, probably working part-time in college
>she's very pretty
>I get to her register, give her the magazine
>"Is that everythin-"
>she stops mid-sentence and is looking very closely at the journal's cover
>she looks up at me, a 15 year old gawky and chubby high schooler with bad acne, alone at the bookstore on a Saturday afternoon
>then back at the journal
>then smiles mockingly
>"Do you know who this is?"
>she's pointing at the man on the cover
>I have no idea who he is
>I don't know what to say, so I say nothing
>she doesn't say anything either, she just taps the man's face with her finger
>"No?"
>I again don't reply because I'm still searching for an answer I don't have
>"That's Nuri Bilge Ceylan. He is a joke in my country."
>she smiles condescendingly one last time and takes the twenty dollar bill from my hand without a word
That happened about six years ago and I still think about it. Don't really know why 2bh, but yeah, I looked like a right pleb at that moment and it was justified since I was clearly out of my intellectual depth.

I've since dedicated my life to being more patrician than every female on the planet, and even though its cost me any chance of a healthy sexlife, I've achieved my goal.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 383x645) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 383x645
>>7653639
I called him 'Albert Campus' once.
Gotta love that smug all-knowing Wallacian smirk you get back in return.
>>
>be at the book store
>choose a book
>pay for it
>go home

>be at the library
>choose a few books
>check them out
>go home

Such is life as an adult
>>
File: 1425413996506.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1425413996506.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>7653675
>>
>yeah, so I read "das Parfum"
>Haha, the entire story is made of references to other literary works
Yeah ok, I still enjoyed it
>>
>decide to pay more than £3 extra per book from a bookshop instead of ordering them online in the hopes that someone will notice my impeccable taste
>cashier rings them up without uttering a word or even glancing at the covers
>>
>>7653670
My only friend who's into reading has terrible, terrible taste, and makes me feel like such a pleb when I'm trying to explain this type of thing.
He's really dismissive, and just says, things like 'that's weird' or 'sounds boring' or 'too confusing'.

It's amazing how someone can make you feel like such a pleb, simply by being one.
>>
It was somewhat disillusioning to learn that the average bookstore clerk is as passionate about literature as the average Walmart clerk is passionate about toilet roll or frozen pizza.
>>
>>7653675
Old pasta but it doesn't get posted that often so it's OK.
>>
>>7653795
Hahahaha, this is the literary equivalent of cuckolding.

Happens to me ALL the time.
Tfw the hot checkout chick doesn't praise your impeccable taste.
>>
>>7653818
anon please, this was clearly the time to use 'le friendzone' meme rather than 'le cuck' meme
>>
>>7653732
I don't believe this for a second. Cashier girls are never Turkish.

But she'd be partially right, Nuri Bilge Ceylan is pretty overrated. Not hack-status, but he's no Bela Tarr.
>>
>>7653670
>reading 2666
>progressive marxist friend asks me what it is about
>it's about the murders of women in Ciudad Juarez
>good subject anon
>neckbeard fantasy friend asks me what it is about
>an eldritch city in the desert that attracts crazy people
>sounds cool
>slightly literate friend asks me what it is about
>books and book criticism and a character which may be the author himself
>ok nice
It was like that story about the blind people and the elephant
>>
Some guy saw me reading Gravity's Rainbow on the train today and told me "you know, no one ever finishes that book." I told him I planned on finishing it. A minute later he sticks his phone in my face showing me a buzzfeed tier list of "books people read to try and look smart" or something. I called him an asshole and kept reading.
>>
>>7653853

That was a pretty shitty thing for him to do, really. He made himself look like the pleb referring to a buzz feed article as if it was gospel. Finish it, anon; it's obviously a challenging book but once you've finished it a first time, it gets easier the second time.
>>
>>7653859
Yeah, I think that he was attempting to be funny but it rubbed me the wrong way. I'm 200 pages deep and enjoying it quite a bit. I'm not sure if I'll finish it anytime soon, but I'm definitely finishing it.
>>
>transferred from northeast artsy elementary school (spent nearly every day drawing, painting, etc) to suburban Texan school mid semester (had one hour per month dedicated to arts (and crafts))
>1st grade
>visit the library
>ask librarian if they have any Digimon books
>she looks at me like I'm a 40 year old

Fucking elementary school librarians. I also got weird looks when I told the nurse I had a tummy ache. I swear, Texan elementary schools expect their students to act like high schoolers.
>>
>>7653818
I spent $100 at a record store trying to impress this girl behind the counter. I told myself I wouldn't do that, but I just kept grabbing records. I was so dumb.
SHE WAS FINE. I was on vacation in Florida. Very boyish haircut, and incredible features. I was tongue-tied by the time I made it to checkout. She didn't pay any mind to what I was buying anyway. Such is life. Now I know it's better it's better to be friendly and make conversation, rather than be closed up and nervous, hoping someone will notice your PATRICIAN taste. It's too bad, I'm still working on putting that into practice.

NEVER AGAIN.
>>
File: 1445795491447.gif (4 MB, 244x183) Image search: [Google]
1445795491447.gif
4 MB, 244x183
>>7653853
>search "books people read to try and look smart buzzfeed"
>see a whole list of articles

"22 Books You Pretend You’ve Read But Actually Haven’t"
>Great Expectations
>The Hobbit
>Lolita
>The Old Man and the Sea
>Moby Dick
>Catch-22
>1984
> To Kill a Mockingbird
>War and Peace
>Ulysses
>The Odyssey
>Crime and Punishment

"32 Books That Will Actually Change Your Life"
>World War Z
>The Fault in Our Stars
>Life of Pi
>Joy of Cooking
also about half of the books on their "22 Books You Pretend You’ve Read But Actually Haven’t" list

also just noticed right now that your post said "buzzfeed tier list" and not buzzfeed list
oh well, I already wrote this all out
>>
>>7653732
EVERYONE LOOK.

This is the origin story of an intellectually insecure sexist! Very #rare. Don't forget to screencap.
>>
>>7653890
Yeah, I don't know what website he was on but I know that it included Gravity's Rainbow and Dune.
>>
>>7653795
You... you read to impress? Are you by any chance in high school?
>>
>>7653831
Once upon a time in Anatolia was good.
>>
>>7653853
>I called him an asshole and kept reading.
you did good anon, anyone who browses buzzfeed is an asshole
>>
>>7653869
Don't worry about finishing it soon, anon. It took me a few months to finish it - if it becomes too challenging or a chore to read, put it down for a while and read something simpler or take a break. Good luck, my man.
>>
>>7653962
Don't get me wrong, he's not bad. I just wouldn't put him in the same tier as those he's often compared to.
>>
>>7653805
okay pleb is ceasing to mean anything here
you mean he made you feel dweebish or the-butt-of-a-joke
>>
>>7653805
>>7653992
Or better, he made you feel aristo
>>
>>7653980
That I can agree to
>>
>>7653971
I'll be honest, I was close to sperging out on him. Glad I kept my cool.
>>7653975
I actually did that. I bought Agapē Agape the other day and read that for a little break. I haven't actually read any other Gaddis, but I was drawn to the novella for the confessional form it takes. A lot of it definitely went over my head, but I loved the hectic style it was written in. I'll read it again after I read some more Gaddis, but who knows when that will be.
>>
>>7653872
they're being bred to wrangle cattle and protect america. you were just too much of a pussy to understand.
>>
This happened a while ago

>Be me, hispanic, 15 years old
>Went to local book store
>Near my birthday so I decided to buy myself a treat
>Pick up Canterbury Tales
>2 editions, modern english translation plus original text and translation only version
>The modern translation + original text was big and bulky so i picked up the translated only version and walked up to the register
>College student, picks it up and gives me a look

English is not my mother language but I talked and wrote better than your average american kid.

>Why don't you just read the original text?
>(Thick accent) I checked it out and the middle english language was a little discouraging for me since English is not my first language
>wtf its not hard at all, I had an assignment to translate it to modern language and it took me less than 10 minutes to finish the prologue
>you must be very proud of that
>Look kid why don't you read something that is up to your standards
>Takes twilight
>here buddy, don't worry, its an easy read
>go fuck yourself
>walk away as he laughs
>Went to barnes and noble
>They only had original text + translation
>Fuck it
>walk to the register ready with comebacks
>Nice college student girl picks it up and smiles at me
>I love this book, in my class I had to recite the first 20 pages in one sitting as close of a perfect pronunciation as i could have.
>thats cool, how did it go?
>I got a B, mainly because my teacher is an asshole. Your total is 15$, have fun with it.
>Thank you

...And i fucking did, this story had a happy ending at least.
>>
File: quintilian.jpg (32 KB, 200x228) Image search: [Google]
quintilian.jpg
32 KB, 200x228
>>7653552
>Magnum Opera
>>
>>7653675
This still might be my favorite story to ever come from /lit. We should have another thread on it sometime.
>>
>>7654120
How does one purchase a great opera? Is that something that people are allowed to do?
>>
>>7654131
?
>>
>>7654074
Now I really want to read The Canterbury Tales.
>>
>>7654244
Do it anon, its breathtaking
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 458x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 458x321
>>7654120
Its the plural for opus, you dip
>>
>>7654131
>Are people allowed to purchase Operas?
Yes. What a bizzare question.
>>
>>7654359

it should be magna opera you fat piece of shit apple munching reddit tier four eyed faggot
>>
>>7654359
Dang that video is funny
>>
>>7653732
You forgot to say what happened next.
>Turkroach shoo shoo
>I may have bad taste but I'm certainly more red pilled than you, dumb roach
>Based Putin will destroy Erdogan
>then leave the store
That's what I would've done.
>>
>>7653651
>to pay my bills and feed my family
This isn't fucking Dickensian England, mate. Servers are allowed their personhoods.
>>
>store was out of Infinite Jest
>staff asks if I need help
>tell her what I'm looking for
>'Hm,' she says, 'we usually have that'
>'Yeah,' I chuckle, 'you have a lot of Wallace's other texts'
>On hearing me call DFW by his surname, she leers at me a while, snorts, and rolls her eyes
>I didn't ask to order a copy in
>I just bought Brief Interviews instead
>>
>>7653659
I just reread master and margarita, some in class next to an English major and a history major. Nothing. They both keep eyeing me so they could just be shy.
I thought it was a great book. Don't protect your insecurities onto the book you are reading. Describe it as confident as you can. If the other person argues you probably found a new friend.
I am probably going to bring a book of Chekhov's plays. Try to coax conversation while reliving my Russian obsession.
>>
>>7653675
I always imagine the guy in this story looking like Stevie's Dad from Malcolm in the Middle.
>>
When I bought a copy of Karl Popper's The Logic of Scientific Discovery from used book store the owner looked with dismiss\lunatic when I said that there isn't too much of an issue between science to Judaism in the overall.
>>
>>7653516
There is NO fucking way this happened.
There is nothing challenging about McCarthy, only some archaic words here and there.
>>
>>7653639
That you Goranites?
>>
I am really bad with names and my major is unrelated to literature. I find it very difficult to remember authors in conversation, I am better with titles and know certain works are someone's who lived somewhere at sometime.
I find such a handicap useful in making friends. So many peers dismiss me while no-one over 30 seems to. It is frustrating though.
Pronunciation Nazis bug me to. Everyone mispronounces my name, and they don't care. I can't get my mouth around French, sue me..
>>
>>7654481
>not referring to him as 'big dave'
>>
>>7654548
Some people find thematic recognition hard and believe it such four everyone else.
>>
>>7654583
Its not that British names are easier.
>>
>>7653516
This didn't happen.
But hypothetically if it did you are such a pussy man holy shit.
>>
>>7654359
thats the kid that slaped his mom on the dr. oz show hu?
>>
>>7653647
yeah it's fucking "Ael-begrh Keh-moo" who tf is actually gonna walk in and say that, makes you look like a pretentious dick
>>
>>7653708
shut up faggot /kamy/ is spoken Keh-moo
>>
File: 1454435091224.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
1454435091224.gif
133 KB, 311x366
I managed to have an entire conversation about Lapham's Quarterly with a clerk and another customer at Barnes And Noble pronouncing Lapham læfəm. The other customer finally mentioned that he 'always thought' it was pronounced læpəm.
>>
>>7654587
>skinny, pimply neckbeard wearing a scarf walks into my bookstore
>asks me if he has any "Big Dave" books he can peruse
>scoffs at me when I ask who Big Dave is
>whispers with hot breath in my ear "David. Foster. Wallace."
>I show him the stand, eager to get away
>he smiles and mutters under his breath "imbecilic pleb"
>>
>>7654781
>>7654772
how can french understand each other with all this mouth move and know how to spell each other name with all the hidden letters?
>>
>>7654809
Maybe they think the same about english
>>
>>7654587
fucking kek
>>
>>7654795
When in doubt, if it ends in -ham, pronounce it as if it was a small English village.

Jason /'stæɾæm/
>>
>>7653838
Great helmsmanship in the whirly waters of Lake What-Will-They-Think-about-Me.
>>
>>7654781
you can't properly show pronunciation in English of /y/ you dingus
>>
>>7654809
years of practice anon
>>
>>7654481
>On hearing me call DFW by his surname, she leers at me a while, snorts, and rolls her eyes
Is this some epic meme I am unaware of?
>>
File: 1453195725596.png (354 KB, 520x600) Image search: [Google]
1453195725596.png
354 KB, 520x600
>only ever read names and literary words
>I'm expected to somehow know how to pronounce them
>>
>>7654508
I will do this too from now on, thanks anon.
>>
>>7654027
Yeah dude sounded like some asshole who never finishes anything so he'll never start anything either - he's just drifting aimlessly in his own personal void, reading buzzfeed.
>>
File: 1451616666833.png (333 KB, 451x469) Image search: [Google]
1451616666833.png
333 KB, 451x469
>>7654806
You're lucky I didn't physically assault your imbecilic pleb ass.
>>
>>7653708
this
>>
>>7656186
if you know the origin language of the word its not hard to guess
>>
>>7656473
Daniel Jackson?
>>
>really small apartment
>have pile of books that I haven't read yet
>Friend always glances at it when she comes over
>one time I had finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle so the pile was noticeably shorter
>she comes over and sees this
>"Oh shit you finally actually read one of those books "

Yeah fuck you too bitch
>>
>>7656549
What do you do with books you've read?
>>
>>7656554
Put them on a shelf. I try to never put unread books on my shelf because I never want to have to go "Uhh, I haven't actually read that one" if someone asks
>>
I don't buy philosophy at bookstores since I don't get anything I want there.

Usually my friends might ask me what I'm reading, saying the names is too pretentious so I just hand them the book for a couple seconds to look it over.

If they ask things like "what's it about" I usually say, "It's deals with [Author]'s views on [Subject]", if they ask if it's good I usually say, "Sure, if you're into philosophy".

In other words, I'm the one that usually tries to sound as non-pretentious and plebian as possible.

It sucks when someone asks if they can borrow it though, since it's certain that they won't finish the book and might forget to return it.
>>
>>7656569
So is the shelf collection bigger than the unread pile? You could just explain that to your friend.
>>
>>7656549
D'aw that's adorable.
>>
>>7656584
I basically did, just annoyed me thinking about the fact that she had been silently judging me every time she saw that the pile hadn't grown smaller
>>
>>7656649
Is your friend into reading?
>>
>>7653639

The fact that girl at the counter is self-satisfied while being equally wrong makes her a bigger jackass. Congratulations.

And do take solace in the fact that Americans will never be able to pronounce european names.

>Nietzsche becomes Ni-shii
>Camus becomes Camooh
>Hegel doesn't rhyme with Bagel
>Schopenhauer becomes Showpenhauer
>Kierkegaard becomes Kiir-keh-guard.
>Schlegel becomes Slay-gull

Really, no american is in any position to ever admonish anyone on poor pronunciation.
>>
>>7656732
Can you give audio examples of the correct pronunciation of these names?
>>
>>7656732
Here is how I pronounce all of them, I am a Britbong.

Nee Chuh
Ka Moo
Hagel
Shoppenhower
Keyer ker gard
Shlay gull
>>
>>7653897
i know someone who's read Dune and it didn't make him look a bit smarter in my eyes, though, granted, he's already a smart guy
>>
>>7653980
yup
Distant is supposedly his best film and it isn't more than a 7.5/10
>>
File: an intellectual.jpg (115 KB, 475x335) Image search: [Google]
an intellectual.jpg
115 KB, 475x335
>>7654508
I always picture him like this
>>
>>7654587
I call him "Decent Dave"
>>
>>7653880

What you did is something women do to attract men. It is feminine to take up an interest as an accessory. Look at any female undergrad studying literature. You're both signalling.

You are a dilettante.
>>
>>7653675
I don't get it.
>>
>>7653890
>The Hobbit
>1984
>To Kill a Mockingbird

Why are those in that category? Those are entry-level and pretty standard reads, just about anyone can read and understand them.
>>
>>7654508
what the fuck me too
the voice and everything
>>
>>7653552

Which bookstore? Only one in brunswick I know is Red Wheelbarrow (plus that bookgrocer one that is now just called book or some shit). the old french(?) lady there told me i had a good selection when i bought some steinbeck, peter carey and solzhenitsen.

You can cop mad cheap classic shit at savers too btw
>>
>>7658874
Red wheel barrow has some really good stuff.

I'm technically Southside, but my girlfriend works in Fitzroy, so I drop in from time to time. I've never had much luck in Savers -- though, saying that, I haven't been in maybe six months or so.
>>
I once posted a poem on /lit/ and it was so bad they told me it was a crime against humanity.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 332x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 332x443
>>7658965
Hahahahahahahah, top fucking kek!
I think I might print this one out and put it above my bed.
>>
>>7658844
Seriously, what would be the point of pretending to read The Hobbit? It's not like anyone will be impressed that you read one of the world's most popular children's books, and if they will be you can blaze through it in an evening so you won't be outed as a pseud.
>>
>>7653675
I can't tell if it's supposed to be a burn or if he is saying one reads Plato to become an intellectual.

Authorial intent required.
>>
File: you_mean_like_this.jpg (11 KB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
you_mean_like_this.jpg
11 KB, 450x254
>>7654244
>mfw reading it right now for my lit class
>mfw reading the Wife of Bath tale only due to the myriad of feminist issues in it

Why must every lit class be focused on gender lenses and the role of women?
>>
>>7659214
Never had a single lit class like that, even the ones taught by women. It was never even a topic.

Damn I love the South.
>>
>>7659200
Remember that Socrates said that wise men don't read because they know everything already.
>>
>>7659224
I'm in the south dummy.

Dropped a lit class because it was entirely about feminism and taught by a crazy lady. This new guy is cool, the feminist stuff just pops up every now and then.

>Why is Grendel given a name but not his mother?????
>>
>>7654587
almost spat my milk out. stealing this, using this
>>
>>7659227
Socrates lived in a different time. There is ever more to know, and increasingly less that intuition can do alone.

>>7659229
What university?
>>
>>7659256
I know that about Socrates. My take on the joke is that the other guy is a wise man who has already learned what he needs to and he called the first guy a philosopher. Socrates said there were 3 types
1) those who knew everything
2) those who didn't but tried to learn
3) retards who didn't do anything
The joke being he was 1 and laughing at the other guy for being 2.
>>
>>7653809
>It was somewhat disillusioning to learn that the average bookstore clerk is as passionate about literature as the average Walmart clerk is passionate about toilet roll or frozen pizza.
damn...
>>
>>7659273
I think the joke is that it's unclear. He either meant that the narrator isn't an intellectual because he reads Plato, or that he actually is because of the Socratic notion that a truly intelligent man is one who is aware of how little he knows. I think the ambiguity is part of what makes it funny, and is why the story continues to be retold on this board.
>>
>>7657158
I always imagine him having a Nigerian accent or something.
>>
>not ordering online

kek, enjoy your autismbursts
>>
>>7661211
I don't know what it is with everyone here, but I almost never have a clerk comment on the book I'm buying. It happens every once in a while (usually when I buy books at the library booksale), but normally they just take my money and don't say anything.
>>
File: Constantinople.jpg (1 MB, 1724x1784) Image search: [Google]
Constantinople.jpg
1 MB, 1724x1784
>>7653659
>he thinks history is a shit tier degree
Leave
>>
>>7658798
Hey, faggot, you're taking it a bit far. I don't treat music as an accessory. So I bought some records and the pretty girl behind the counter MAY have had something to do with me purchasing 3 albums instead of 1, big fucking deal. They're still albums I like, I'm not pretending to enjoy them.
>>
>>7653452
Yesterday I bought a book called "the perfect housewife" to learn to do my chores better and prepare to live by myself.
They didn't have it at the fnac I went to, but they had it in another one, so the guy there offered to reserve it on the other one.
He called the woman on the other store "cousin", and she seems to have asked him if his house was a mess, to which he said he kept it tidy.
When he finished the call I asked if I could go pick it up right away, and he told me that the his colleague had just picked up the book, put a little paper in it, and saved it somewhere no one else could touch.
>>
>>7661612
Not him, but it is.

I like history, but it's a hobby and by no means something you should get a degree in.
>>
>>7662919
nice strong opinion you have there old man, bet it took a lifetime of thinking to come up with that.
>>
>>7659227
Socrates said he was wise because he was aware he knew nothing at all
>>
>>7653890
>Joy of Cooking

I would like to say that it might change your life
>>
>>7659214
Perhaps because 50% of people are women and the other 50% interact with them
>>
>>7662997
you feminazi!
>>
>>7663003
Not to mention there is so much literature on the coming of age of men

My stepmother gave me the power of one when I was young, though we never did cover anything like it in a literature class
>>
>>7662948
>history
>not a meme degree
>>
I had the opposite experience.
>Walk into Bookshop
>Wanting to get into Post-Modernism
>Aiming to buy something by Pynchon or Wallace
>Finally going to embrace the meme.
>Spot Infinite Jest in the 'Doorstopper' section. (also take V with me)
>Cute guy behind counter says 'Wow, I've always wanted to read that, but it seems so long and hard (XD).
>I start talking about how I got into reading longer books, allowing myself to take breaks between etc.
>Mention War and Peace and start telling how much of an impact Pierre's Quixotic development had on me.
>End up convincing him to get War and Peace.
Walked out feeling more patrish than I actually am.

I'm pleasantly surprised by IJ btw.
>>
>basically all my interactions about books are with /lit/ because my family doesn't read and my few friends are STEMlords
>go to bookstore
>see Bolano's books
>aw yiss
>get 2666 and savage detectives
>already know about the raped anally and vaginally meme from /lit/
>go to counter
>bookstore is small but permanently understaffed or something, huge line at cashier and he's busy discussing something over the phone
>get in line behind Hispanic qt
>she casually glances at my picks
>says 'oh you like Bolano? I loved Savage Detectives'
>talking about books so my /lit/ mode is activated
>'is that the one with the vaginal and anal rapes?'
>she gives me a stare that is half disgust and half fear
>quickly turns around and doesn't look back one time
>spend entire wait in checkout awkwardly glancing around store
Fucking Bolano and his meme books
>>
>>7663532
get fucking wrecked anon
>>
>>7656747
That's barely different you pedantic faggot
Though I admit neechee does grate on me
>>
>>7653675
*philosopher
>>
>>7663076
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

Nice story between, I share your appreciation of Pierre
>>
>on drunken night out in London
>hot as fuck, like height of summer
>stumble across a used bookstore
>pick up a copy of 'the Fall' by Camus
>shove it in my jeans pocket
>on train home that night
>drunk irish bloke says "whats that in your pocket there, 50 shades of grey?"
>pull out The Fall with an air of smugness
>he looks at it and just says "what a load of bollocks"
>still haven't read it
>>
>>7663532
How can a person be this insensitive?
>>
>>7662982
I was referring to his reference to truly wise men, not to himself. He said he was a philosopher trying to learn but he said that there were theoretically those who already knew everything and so they wouldn't need to acquire new knowledge.
>>
>>7654424
Erdogan and Putin are sides of the same coin. Sure, when it gets flipped one's gonna end up on top and one's gonna end up below, but they're both the same thing.

That said, Erdogan is currently bombing the shit out of the Kurds and Putin is not.
>>
>>7653897
>And Dune
What. That's just...that's just a book. It's not got some kind of mythical intellectual reputation or anything.
>>
>>7663968
>>he looks at it and just says "what a load of bollocks"

He was right.
>>
>>7662919
Why do you think that?
>about to go to uni for late medieval/early modern history, might be making a horrible mistake
>>
>namedrop Wittgenstein in conversation with a bunch of friends in college cafeteria
>jock in table behind us turns around and looks at me
>"lol you don't continental bro?" he says
>"b-b-but analytic philosophy is superior"
>"the fuck did you just say?"
>he's foaming at the mouth now
>"l-language is central to tho-"
>suddenly he's on his feet and i'm on the ground
>his whole table is swarming me chanting "we da real Ãœbermensch" while making hawk sounds
>>
Go to bookshop.
Asks for The plague.
Clerk asks who the writer is to look it up on the computer.
Intentionally pronounce Camus as close to how its written to not sound pretentious by pronouncing it try hard french /ka-my/ when it looks like clerk dont know what the hell im talking about.
Clerk finds the book.
"Do you man by /ka-my/? Id advice you to read the stranger first, it should be easier "
"Ok, thanks, but ill stick with The plague"
Pay and leave.

I fucking hate these situations. Its really a dilemma, pronounce words correctly and seem pretentious, or pronounce them wrong and seem ignorant.
>>
>>7664645
if the guy thinks youre pretentious for pronouncing it the most common and most correct way he is retarded.
>>
>>7664645
>"Do you man by /ka-my/? Id advice you to read the stranger first, it should be easier "
This surely makes sense, retard.
>>
>>7653980
Yes, I quite enjoyed Winter Sleep, but it's no masterpiece. And at 196 minutes, you kind of expect a masterpiece.
>>
>>7664645
>Its really a dilemma, pronounce words correctly and seem pretentious

It's not a dilemma, you're just a moron. Pronounce everything correctly, explain what's correct if people argue.
>>
File: Disdain.jpg (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
Disdain.jpg
7 KB, 224x225
Why do you guys have such a hard time pronouncing Camus correctly?
>>
>>7664697
You have asperger if you can't see the problem with this when interacting with people.
>>
>>7664742
I'll be honest: I was pretty sure I knew how to pronounce Camus' name perfectly well before I read this thread. Now I'm not sure.
>>
>>7664742
ahl-berh c'a-mou

Not hard
>>
>>7656186
Camus is pronounced CAME-US.
>>
>>7664862
sah-muse
>>
File: 1453640005482.gif (282 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1453640005482.gif
282 KB, 256x192
>>7656578
>I usually say, "Sure, if you're into philosophy"
>non-pretentious
>>
> not getting flattered or complimented by the book store employee when purchasing books

How come this never happens to you guys? It's always pleasant and we'll often have a gentle chat about the books I'm buying and the authors while the clerk is scanning them.

Where does all this autism shit come from, /lit/?
>>
>>7663532
lmao you dumb fuck

even if it is the book with the rapes, you don't bring it up casually like that unless if you know the person

it's like, i wouldn't even dare talk about the BDSM shit eating in Gravity's Rainbow with my closest friends.
>>
>>7664645
For future reference: pronounce it properly and spell it out if needs be.
>>
>>7664898
What if it's a name in a foreign language that doesn't use English characters? What if they judge you for using the wrong Romanization?
>>
>>7664923
people aren't that autistic outside of 4chan and if they are they wouldn't be working in a public space like a bookstore
>>
File: 14186597830060.png (217 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
14186597830060.png
217 KB, 409x409
Is there anyone who pronounce it as Albert Camus instead of Alber Camu?
>>
>>7663532

The memes have addled your mind son. Lay off with them.
>>
>>7656732

>Lacan becomes Lake-Anne
>Foucault becomes Fugg-ow
>Weber becomes Wee-burr
>Fichte becomes fig-tuh
>Stirner becomes Sturner
>>
>>7664645

>to not sound pretentious by pronouncing it try hard french

You realize what pretentious means, right? Pretense to knowing more than you do. How the fuck can pronouncing something correctly be pretentious?
>>
>>7653516
fucking douchebag owner...
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 860x760) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 860x760
How do you guys pronounce Moleskine?

I was in the bookstore the other day and asked where they keep the "mole-sky-ne". And she sighed and said the "mow-lay-skeens" are over here.

I'm not crazy am I?
>>
>>7653452

I had gotten some ebooks and the present me called on it and made my past self look a right pleb.
>>
>>7665198
Why would you buy moleskine for writing, unless you are a /ic/ fag or something?
>>
File: Moleskine5.jpg (143 KB, 1600x1194) Image search: [Google]
Moleskine5.jpg
143 KB, 1600x1194
>>7665217
I like their soft-cover weekly dairy, I buy one every year
>>
>>7665130
That's not what pretentious means. The anon you're replying to used the word correctly.
>>
>>7665222
seeing how they come from Italy (according to Wikipedia) I'm gonna take a guess and say it's pronounced mo-leh-skee-neh (the mo has ONE vowel. None of your english ow, ou or oa bullshit)
>>
File: 1445377217382.png (568 KB, 617x850) Image search: [Google]
1445377217382.png
568 KB, 617x850
>>7665222
>>7665230
oh yeah, also the German wiki page says that it doesn't have an official pronounciation since it's a brand name without a specific national origin.
>>
>>7665198
I think it's pronounced Mole-es-keen-a, but if you say it like that you risk alienating your friends and family. Maybe just say Mole Skin.
>>
>>7653732
>I've since dedicated my life to being more patrician than every female on the planet, and even though its cost me any chance of a healthy sexlife, I've achieved my goal.

You will never outgrow your pleb upbringing. 99% of /lit/ (or anyone on 4chan in general) are absolute plebs.

Thankfully I was born wealthy and raised correctly.
>>
File: 1452829541504.jpg (82 KB, 450x332) Image search: [Google]
1452829541504.jpg
82 KB, 450x332
>>7665237
>Maybe just say Mole Skin
>>
>>7665127
Sartre is the one that annoys me. Is it Sahte or Sartruh? People seem to use both.
>>
>>7664645

>to not sound pretentious by pronouncing it try hard french

If you are this paranoid over seeming "pretentious" then perhaps you should grow up a little bit, because simply getting a writer's name right isn't any cause for a second thought. Just get it right. Easy.
>>
>>7665232
This thumbnail looks like a woman going down on another woman sitting in a chair
>>
>>7665227

2/10
>>
>>7664645
>>7664743

Pronounce it however the hell you want to and then not give a single shit about what one other person in the world thinks

Thats pure patrician
>>
>>7665277
Glad I'm not the only one. I Was also disappointed.
>>
>>7665286
True patrician is pronouncing it wrong and convincing the other person it's correct through your sheer confidence
>>
>>7664743

>You have asperger if you can't see the problem with this when interacting with people.

Not that anon, but you're a blatant underage poster if you really do find this a point of contention. You should stop posting and go back to /v/ or something.
>>
>>7661276
>I don't know what it is with everyone here

Because 95% of these stories are fabricated.
>>
When I was younger I went to a used bookstore and bought atlas shrugged and some Michael Chriton thriller... The cashier looked at me mockingly and said "Ann rand, hmm?"

>y-yes
>>
>>7665298
There is not a single "patrician" in this thread.
>>
>>7653516
This happened to me when I bought gravity's rainbow
>>
>>7665314
except me
>>
>>7665314

There's more than you think in your average thread. We're just older posters who typically lurk.
>>
>>7653516
>>7654074
>>7654481
>>7663532
>>7663076
>>7664299

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0
>>
>>7653452
>at porn shop
>buying a copy of big black butts magazine
>skinhead cashier calls me a race traitor
>>
>>7665311
That's where you respond with an assertive "Yah?"

Or.

What's it to you?
Your point?

Or just laugh at them mockingly.
Or just stare at them blankly, as if they do not even register as a person. Hold out the money/card and do nothing else, but make sure you really sell it on that.

>These things should be natural for an actual patrician
>>
>>7665320
Did your parents inherit wealth? Is every member of your family going back generations a legacy student at an ivy? Do you frequent charity events or fundraisers for the arts?

Did they teach you what it takes to retain and grow that wealth? Philosophy? That other people are generally useless and only live to serve a purpose of your choosing?

I could go on....
>>
>>7654451
>This isn't fucking Dickensian England, mate.
Have you read Dickens' entire back catalog? No? Then why do think you can dare use that insult?!
>>
>>7665322
lol
>>
>>7659214
my professor here in CO has been teaching medieval lit for a few decades now and doesn't even give a fuck about gender stuff. Teaches the material in its context and as its own work of art. Took his Chaucer class and fell in love with the material. Dude ranks Chaucer up there with Shakespeare and whatnot
>>
File: 1451021919696.jpg (249 KB, 570x512) Image search: [Google]
1451021919696.jpg
249 KB, 570x512
>>7653516
Do people think Cormac McCarthy is "challenging" just because he's too retarded to use punctuation?
>>
>>7655345
Nice meme, mind if I save it?
>>
>>7653794
How is intertextuality a bad thing? Otherwise The Waste Land would also be shit.
>>
>>7653805

>He's really dismissive, and just says, things like 'that's weird' or 'sounds boring' or 'too confusing'.

Man I hate that. I hate it when someone asks you what you're reading and then to explain it to them and then they act like you're pretentious asshole. It's like nigger I have no delusions about myself I'm just a faggot whose reading some shit and that's all I'll ever be.

>reading Myth of Sisyphus
>friend asks me to what it's about
>'it's just a bunch of essays on existentialism'
>'what's existentialism?'
>no fucking idea how to explain it
>give it my best shot, eventually he says
>'oh is it like the video game SOMA?'
>'yeah sorta like that, like in that game it makes you think like what the fuck exists, do i really exists etc.'
>other friend butts in
>'yes you exist'
>'well obviously but would you say the you from the past exists?'
>'yes I'm here right now'
>that's fine, he thinks straight forward
>'you see non-existential thinking will ALWAYS beat existential thinking'
>'i'm just explaining the idea here but just because you can dismiss ideas by saying yes or no doesn't mean it's necessarily correct'
>'yes it does'
>....
>>
>>7654481

are you like sposed to call his dee-ef-dub or what?
>>
>>7653639
>hi do you have borgays fickionays?
>>
>>7661193

I thought it was just cause Plato is babbys first greek?
>>
>>7665070

yeah like forever until this thread...
>>
>>7659147
It's a nasty read, that's why it's hard to read. You dont blaze through it in an evening it's painful.
>>
>>7654424
Kekel my shekel
>>
>>7653795
What do read lad?
>>
>>7656578
I had just purchased the tractatus and ran into a friend on the way home. She asked about it and I just told her it was about german tractors. She seemed confused at my choice but I just told her it's an interest of mine.
>>
>tell librarian friend I get most of my books for free online
>she looks genuinely hurt like I was stealing from her library
>backtrack and pretend I was referring to Project Gutenberg
>doesnt help
>>
>>7665668
Harry Potter
>>
File: 1453757231055.png (2 MB, 991x1287) Image search: [Google]
1453757231055.png
2 MB, 991x1287
>>7665655
>too pleb to read the fucking Hobbit

You realize it's for children, right?
>>
>>7665808
Where do you get your books from old sport?
>inb4 bibliotik
>>
>>7665890
It's very difficult. I wouldn't think that children can understand it.
>>
File: 1454644068843.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1454644068843.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>7665967
Damn son.
>>
>>7665975
>book uses archaic language and foreign language
>ur a pleb. XDD
>>
>>7665584
>just because you can dismiss ideas by saying yes or no doesn't mean it's necessarily correct
>yes it does
Damn, he's good.
>>
>>7665979
When does The Hobbit use foreign language, aside from the moon-runes that Elrond decodes?
>>
>>7663532
M8, you literally made it look like you were buying the book in order to read the anal and vaginal rape scenes.
Of course she was terified
>>
>>7663532

>>says 'oh you like Bolano? I loved Savage Detectives'
>>talking about books so my /lit/ mode is activated
>>'is that the one with the vaginal and anal rapes?'
>>she gives me a stare that is half disgust and half fear

>Fucking Bolano and his meme books

Don't blame him for your psychopath tier spergery.
>>
>>7664870
depends on how you enunciate the second bit
>>
>>7665198
two syllables
>>
>>7665321
>artistic works of fiction and falsehood, yadda yadda
>>
>thinking this hard whether people think you're pretentious

Some people think that it's pretentious to read; you've got to let these kinds of things just go and accept it. Accept what you can't change, etc, etc.
>>
>>7666144

Pretty much this. It's often just a crutch for intellectual self-assurance.
>I don't know what that person knows, but it's good and right that I don't, as I'm sure it's all pretentious crap anyway

Just go and learn. Don't look for approval.
>>
>>7654583
yeah most of my info is writen or essayed in personal writings. speaking? forget about it!
>>
>>7656578
i just usually tell them it's philisophical and say it's not to hard to understand. honstly most philisophy isn't that bad. it might just take time to read up on a bit.
>>
>>7665954
bookzz, btdigg, mobilism, alibris
>>
>>7655388
>expecting a random /lit/ pleb to know the IPA

It's all your fault, anon.
>>
>>7663076
Pls tell me you're a guy and you fucked the cute guy afterwards
>>
>>7665198
> asking /lit/ how to pronounce shit

Everyone gonna fuck with you, bruh
>>
>>7665258
Sah-tuh. His ole' buddy Claude Lanzmann says it like that.
>>
>>7665584
Sounds like your mate thinks he's hiiiiii-larious.

Gotta admit though: playing SOMA, I was very surprised that it tackled existential themes. It was a neat surprise.
>>
>>7665808
Some people are very anti-piracy, I guess. I sorta get it: I'm one of those people who prefers to own things physically but I wouldn't bat an eyelid if somebody told me they torrented everything media-related. I guess I'd be a bit more peeved if it cut into my salary (if I worked as an author or other form of popular artist).
>>
>>7665760
My sides, my fucking sides.
>>
>>7666176
Isn't the not hard to understand bit uncalled for?

If I were your friend id raise an eyebrow at the fact that you assumed I thought what you're reading was difficult.
>>
>>7665808
Well, she is a librarian. Maybe she thinks you should be getting them from physical libraries instead of Gutenberg or wherever?

I've heard that physical libraries these days have been having a hard time of things, so maybe that had something to do with it as well
>>
>>7666899
literally everyone on /lit/ should know IPA. it's so goddamn useful
>>
>>7666176
Are the spelling errors ironic and you trying to make a point?
>>
File: german fun.png (73 KB, 1262x382) Image search: [Google]
german fun.png
73 KB, 1262x382
>>7665760
>>
File: Alcoholism.jpg (25 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
Alcoholism.jpg
25 KB, 400x267
>>7668352
>Bus Simulator 2010's Beijing
>>
>>7653853
I was once going somewhere by train and when I stood up, I noticed the guy in the seat before me was reading a T.S. Eliot poetry collection. Pretty cool. I told him I liked T.S. Eliot as well. He smiled a bit. I left the train.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.