[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a newshit who just started to read outside of classwork assignments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: confused.jpg (16 KB, 314x291) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
16 KB, 314x291
As a newshit who just started to read outside of classwork assignments pretty recently, how do I build up my vocabulary to easily read archaic old English? Does it come naturally by slowly reading older works? Because I eventually want to read stuff like Paradise Lost and the original Moby Dick

I only own like 10 books right now
>>
God /lit/ is tanking lately.

Anyway: Yes. You need to read a lot more, Anon. And read those old, archaic texts slowly.

>Moby Dick
>Old English
>Even difficult to read

Dude, most of us read that in Elementary School.

Paradise Lost I could see, yes, but Moby Dick isn't difficult. Just keep reading and keep deciphering texts. Go slow if you need to, but never stop. I'd recommend starting with plain old Shakespeare. You could pretty easily interpret his works.
>>
File: WIEE.png (246 KB, 391x327) Image search: [Google]
WIEE.png
246 KB, 391x327
>>7657897
>>7658207
This is a new low
>>
>>7658899
>>7658207
Holy hell you fucking uppity retards, the man is asking a rational question that all of us have faced at one stage before being so well-read.

Anon, if something is too difficult to read or you find you are struggling then just put the book down and read some less-difficult shit. That book will always be there for you when you need to go back, it won't run away. Take it slowly, if you read a book without understanding the words used you won't enjoy it and you'll force yourself into a reading slump and retreat to YA trash because it's easy and fun. Don't do the latter.
>>
>>7658971
>if you read a book without understanding the words used you won't enjoy it
Spoken like someone who hasn't read Finnegans Wake and loved every second of it.
>>
Read difficult things with commentary. Start with Shakespeare.
>>
>>7659023
>Read difficult things with commentary.
blasphemy, let us all hold hands into mediocrity
remember when ppl used to makes sense of things themselves? me neither
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.