[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was David Foster Wallace always this horrendously fat and disgusting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
Was David Foster Wallace always this horrendously fat and disgusting?
>>
File: 954308.png (823 KB, 611x753) Image search: [Google]
954308.png
823 KB, 611x753
>>7650326
it's a no dude
>>
>>7650326
I am yet to see a picture of David at the weight they portrayed him in TEOTT.

Jason was on a strict diet of hot pockets and cream puffs, and was told not to do any strenuous activity in preparation for the film.

I have a feeling it had something to do with Jason looking a bit too tall and lanky, as appose to david having more of a stocky build. They probably planned on making him gain weight, and then getting him to tone, but ran out of time.
>>
The Wallace estate as well as his editor have disavowed the film, not because it gets anything factually wrong but because it does something that Wallace would never have wanted: it turns him into a character.

It's very hard to take the end of this movie seriously with Eisenberg’s Lipsky crying while reading to a large crowd from his own book about Wallace while the movie flashes back to David dancing a free-form, child-like dance in slow-motion inside a church; it’s an image — an embarrassing idea — that would drive any writer as smart and image-conscious as Wallace to self-annihilation.

“Be a good guy,” Wallace begs Lipsky near the end of the movie in its most cringe-worthy moment, gently pleading, taking him to task, and though this might be a very honorable way to live your life as a bro, it’s a terrible idea for a writer. But this movie falls in line with the contemporary cult of likability and in doing so makes one of the most interesting writers of our generation so much less interesting — it turns him into an adorable baby panda, with the Lipsky character often staring at Wallace in wonderment as if DFW was some kind of bandana-wearing E.T. It’s ultimately a dangerous thing for readers and actors and filmmakers to look to writers for instruction on how to live, but The End of the Tour thinks it’s doing something noble by taking this idea seriously and buying into the self-help-guru, platitude-spouting David and ignoring the man of massive and severe complications.
>>
>>7650404

>He's a good guy[1]
[1] For you
>>
>>7650404
post-new sincerity
>>
>>7650404
Why do nu-males use bro as a pejorative? And why does somebody who is apparently hellbent on upholding Wallace's legacy insist that he was NOT a bro?

DFW was always a bro. He smoked dank kush, dressed like Axl Rose, played sports and called people faggots.
>>
>>7650404
>cringe-worthy
>Wallace had been a fan of Less Than Zero and there are traces of its influence in The Broom of the System
>Reading D.T. Max's bio I continue to find David Foster Wallace the most tedious, overrated, tortured, pretentious writer of my generation
What's this twats problem again?
>>
http://i.imgur.com/B9qOZ.jpg

Trigger warning: Link to imgur

DFW was pretty fat in this pic. Not that it matters. This board does more gossiping about DFW, and other writers, than discussing their work. This place resembles a few chatty middle aged female grocery store clerks, reading the tabloids and talking shit for hours, an echo chamber of childish cynicism.
>>
File: image.jpg (307 KB, 1260x1068) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
307 KB, 1260x1068
>>7650522
Why didn't you just post it as pic related?
Are you actually from reddit?

Where did you find this? Is there more?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.