[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release s/2016/01/160121110913.h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 160121110913_1_900x600.jpg (45 KB, 720x508) Image search: [Google]
160121110913_1_900x600.jpg
45 KB, 720x508
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160121110913.htm

Very interesting article.

A lot of the books /lit/ approves of or makes a meme out of are in that list.

What are you thoughts on the possibility that the greatest piece of literary work could now be created using an algorithm if enough time and thought was put into it?

Does this help the case of considering mathematics as objective?
>>
I guess it's not as interesting as I thought.
>>
>le monkeys on typewriters

Hello there, Reddit!
>>
pseudoscientific bullshit

I mean it's from "The Henryk Niewodniczanski Institute of Nuclear Physics Polish Academy of Sciences" what do you expect lol.

also pseudoliterary. you get crap like
>At the same time a lot of works usually regarded as stream of consciousness turned out to show little correlation to multifractality, as it was hardly noticeable in books such as Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and A la recherche du temps perdu by Marcel Proust.

>ayn rand
>stream of consciousness

wew lad

this is what failed STEMlords who still want to feel smugly superior to the humanities do.
>>
>>7630959
>if enough time and thought was put into it
The same amount of time and thought required to write a book?
>>
>>7631223
The people running the experiment might not know literature, but apparently math can differentiate between shitty writers, and it wasn't fooled by Ayn Rand.
>>
>>7631427
>implying proust is a bad writer
>implying eggers is a good writer

???
>>
>>7631231
Oh probably even more time. It's hypothetical. The algorithms and methods don't exist yet.

Everyone is butthurt about stem and not really discussing the probability. It clearly states that it hasn't been reviewed sufficiently so there's no need to get all y'all panties in a bunch.
>>
>>7630959
The human mind is an algorithm. How surprised could you possibly be?
>>
The original paper is much better, rather than this recycled version written by someone who doesn't clearly understand the original. link is in references if you have access. What's pretty cool is it gives an indication that the Bible is God's "stream of conciousness" so to speak. Looks to me like they used a translation though, I imagine the hebrew would contain an even higher level of internal structure, especially seeing as hebrew is an inherently fractal language. Each symbol itself has a meaning, as do the words they build, and each symbol has a number attached which often have significance. I don't know if that would be quantifiable though.

or if you don't believe in God, it proves there is no (or very little) editing of the writings contained in the OT.
>>
>>7631514
> it proves there is no (or very little) editing of the writings contained in the OT.

I mean this is pretty well established, didn't really need something like this to "prove" it.
>>
This article is retarded. Many books are sought out to be written in a fractal-like form. i.e. Gravity's Rainbow follows the DNA spiral structure, and a mandala; Infinite Jest follows a rough Serpinski Gasket, etc.
I haven't read any Joyce, but if he's as great a writer as /lit/ makes him out to be then clearly Finnegan's Wake was written with all intention of it being in correlation with some form of fractal.
>>
man. whatever the fuck happened to just reading a book?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.