[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: merrily merrily.jpg (44 KB, 364x561) Image search: [Google]
merrily merrily.jpg
44 KB, 364x561
Is this all philosophy amounts to?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_trilemma
>>
>>7631370

The Greeks didn't understand shit, did they? Yes, you have to provide proof of every subsequent statement unless you give up philosophy.
>>
File: 1447721686263.png (346 KB, 1829x788) Image search: [Google]
1447721686263.png
346 KB, 1829x788
>>
>>7631379

Aaaargh. So simple yet so difficult to incorporate as a life philosophy.

Every day I get the feeling that none of this will matter and I should stop being a coward and should do things that I want to:

1. call up a best friend with whom I cut off contact 4 years back. I miss her so goddamn much but don't have the courage or self confidence to re-establish contact

2. ask out pretty women

3. be assertive and confident in general

All these fucking insecurities which won't matter for shit and I keep losing my head over them.

Can anyone recommend a book related to OP's pic? Something that will beat this idea in my head?
>>
>>7631450
Hamlet
>>
>>7631370
>when you die your memories vanish with you
Says you. We've got a filthy rationalist over here.
>>
>>7631370
It's a philosophical problem, not a refutation of philosophy

Try reading instead of dismissing thousands of years of hard work and scholarship with a single wikipedia article
>>
Issue with OP's picture:

The two are not analogous. In the first example (the forgetting of the great day), one is still provided with consciousness after forgetting the day.

In the latter example, one must choose between consciousness or not. 'Meaningless' is a term that is only relevant to a conscious being in the first place. A meaningless activity is undesirable because it has no bearing on what wishes to achieve or do. But 'doing' or activity is contingent upon living.

A better example:
Would you want to live one really great day and forget it OR never be alive at all?
>>
>>7631468
Furthermore, because that one great day would be all of existence, the question can then become a simple choice between 'live once' or 'never live'

Experience something for some time or experience nothing ever. Which is better?
>>
this is literally r/showerthoughts the post.
>>
>>7631370
>that pic

Absolutely triggered, human beings have as their essence a context of historical and social concrete, manifold existence that exist apart from ourselves as singular; we are not empirical, atomic beings merely.
>>
>>7631522
>historical and social concrete, manifold existence
In english please
>>
>>7631529
Just scrap the 'social'.
>>
>>7631490

by asking "which is better" you are appealing to some outside standard which imputes value to the situations. The only valid question is "what's the difference?"
>>
>>7631453
>>7631426
>he knows consciousness doesn't exist after the brain stops functioning!
>fucking positivist bullshit!
Enjoying senior year of high school?
Maybe in the next few years you'll spend 10 minutes thinking about the subject.
>>
>>7631594

Give tongue, ooooohwowowowwwww, give tongue, ooooh, to my HO-OOH-OH-OOH-OH-OOH-OLE! SLEDGEHAMMA!
>>
>>7631598
w-what?
>>
>>7631594
BTFO'd
>>
>>7631594
I think we are not using the word 'consciousness' in the same way here.
>>
>>7631452
kek
>>
>>7631552
Im merely Mirroring the question posed in OP's picture.
>>
>>7631594
Knowing whether or not consciousness persists after death is a metaphysical question m8
>>
Look, I've died many times -- in fact, I'm planning on doing it again this weekend -- and I can tell you that memories carry on into the beyond.

Y'all should try dying sometime.
>>
Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. Everything science has taught me, and continues to teach me, strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death.
-Wernher von Braun
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.