[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else tired of this recent minimalist trend in short fiction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: 1450477553047.png (455 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1450477553047.png
455 KB, 640x480
Anyone else tired of this recent minimalist trend in short fiction? Cookie cutter white characters named Jack and Amy and Ryan trying to sound all deep and somber with monotone dialogue and one-word answers (ooh, character 1 said something important and character 2 replied with just "OK." Ooh, the narrator randomly described a thematically resonant childhood memory of character 2 right before the closing paragraph, probably more samey shit like about that time there father took them to the lake, truly, I am in the presence of a master)

Where my maximalist niggas at? Crazy ass high flying prose packed with tons of allusions and hopping all over the place. Something like Ulysses for the 21st century. Beautiful stream of consciousness interspersed with mundane scenes something to get you to see the beauty in everything. Not more new Yorker shit. Please.
>>
Let me expose to you the circle:

1) Students go to litt class
2) They read That easy book, because a litt class has no prerequisite and must be available for all kind of readers, slow and fast
3) Many parents don't buy books to their children past kiddy bedtime stories or they pretend their personal libraries are a sacred thing that kiddy mustn't do harm to
4) Students will read easy book
5) Some will drop reading altogether as a hobby, because they automatically connect book = test = grade = chore, hence book = chore
6) Most of these kiddies will keep on reading, but will stay stuck at the same level, hence the YA novels market
7) Few of these readers will go beyond that and even fewer will approach non-fiction.

TL;DR: To make money,
cather to the majority.
:')
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.