[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any French anons out there to help me make sense of something?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: moliere-2.jpg (65 KB, 750x625) Image search: [Google]
moliere-2.jpg
65 KB, 750x625
Any French anons out there to help me make sense of something?

Currently learning the language to try and read some of my favorite books in their native language--in this case it's French.

At the moment I'm confused by something. What are the general meanings and differences between "n'a pas" and "n'ont pas?" Is one present tense and the other past tense? Is one used to address a singular noun and the other multiple? I keep getting mixed messages and meanings.

Also, what's the difference between "Du" and "De?" I get that they're masculine and feminine for "some," but how am I supposed to know if rice or coffee is masculine or feminine?
>>
>>7624523
>"n'a pas" and "n'ont pas
Different conjugations. One is for Il or Elle or On, the other for plural ones
Just go to frenchabout.com m'negro, it has all of these
>>
>>7624523

>what's the difference between "Du" and "De?"

Du is basically a contraction of "De le" which isn't used in french language because it would sound awful.
There is no female equivalent, we do use "De la" when needed.

That would be the same difference that there is between "of" and "of the"

Example:

"pont de bois" -> "bridge of wood' aka wooden bridge

pont du Roi -> "bridge of THE king" aka King's bridge.
>>
>>7624902

Forgot to mention, "de le" exists but is used in totally different piece of sentences. I was secifically taling about its use in relation to du.
>>
>>7624523
Bloody hell mate. How long have you been studying French, 15 minutes? Buy a textbook
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.